Dean Barton Boise Idaho Gunsmith

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Leadslinger585, May 17, 2019.

1. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Anyone had their 1911's worked on by Mr. Barton?

Asked on a local gun forum and most of the folks referred me his way. Don't know a whole lot about him though, and Google doesn't have much besides his FFL stuff.

Looking to swap sights, add an ambi safety, and install an arched MSH.

EDIT: Oh and I want to have regular grip brushing put on instead of those tiny ones that came on the Colt Wiley Clapp 9mm Commander.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Don't know the individual but that's a pretty simple list of upgrades.

If he's done 1911 work for other, he shouldn't have a problem with those. If his stock and trade are Glocks, maybe look elsewhere. Even though they are simple, the pitfalls abound.

wrmiller likes this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    In this day and age if someone doesn't have a viable on-line presence I'm always a tad skeptical.

With that being said, some people hate technology or maybe he doesn't need the work but even Ted Yost has a website and still takes the time to post works in progress on his Facebook page

One way to "vette" someone is to talk with him on the phone and ask for three references if you like the guy. A happy customer shouldn't mind being contacted. If he refuses to provide three I'd look elsewhere.

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    And my friends wonder why I refuse to deal with the public for a living.

5. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    I had asked specifically for a local 1911 smith, and he was one of the two that were recommended (the other being "I think Dan at Hawktech does smithing - not sure").

I'm deaf so I ended up texting him. He got back to me asking what I had and what I wanted done. I told him, but haven't heard back. I got the feeling he's not someone who is used to texting. I'll have to get a family member/friend to call on my behalf.

I'm not really sure what brought this on? Or what it's in reference to?

6. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Bumping this up for the Sunday afternoon crowd.

7. dsa

dsa Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Dean does solid work for local guys only. He is retired and has no desire for another full time commitment. Our local USPSA matches routinely get 80+ shooters and the majority of SSTK, Limited and Open shooters are running guns built by Dean. The work you are wanting to have done he will most likely do while you wait. Dan at HawkTech is also a good guy and has been through Bruce Piatt's 1911 build class several times; he is just getting into doing work for others. Dan doesn't have mill/lathe capabilities like Dean does however, he will be able to perform the work you are looking to have done. I have had work done by both of them (trigger jobs, sight installs, extractor tuning, reliability tune, etc..) and I am very satisfied with the results.

ronin11, Leadslinger585 and simonp like this.
  8. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Thank you @dsa

The sights I'm wanting to have put on are "blanks" so it sounds like Mr. Barton might be the go to.

Where's a good place to find out about local pistol matches?

simonp likes this.
  9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I think the best place to learn about local matches is on Practiscore.com
    Local stores seem not to be well informed as to where to use their merchandise.

10. dsa

dsa Member

Feb 15, 2013
    http://www.nragc.com
    http://www.parmarng.org
    https://www.gcrgc.org
    Above are links to the 3 Rod and Gun Clubs in the area with outdoor ranges that host USPSA and/or IDPA matches. We are pretty fortunate here in the Treasure Valley; you can pretty much find a match almost any weekend. HawkTech arms is also a good resource, they keep tabs on the local calendars and sponsor several of the larger matches.

Leadslinger585 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted