close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Debate (Should i buy now or save for a more expensive gun to purchase later?)

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Wheezy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    This is a topic That I see often on most of the forums. Should I buy (insert brand here) or save up and buy (insert more expensive brand here)? It's a dilemma I have faced as I'm sure most of you have also dealt with. Right now I currently own three pistols. A SA Range Officer with a few mods, Colt 1991 SS Commander,also modified, Colt Trooper MarkIII 6". For the most part I am satisfied with the pistols I own now. Would I like more? Hell yeah. Can I afford more? Hell no. To me it was finding the balance between quality, functionality, affordability. I traded a Combat Elite for my 1991. Was the CE a better pistol? IMO, yes. Was a Commander better suited for carry in my situation? Yes. I probably even lost a couple hundred in the trade. So be it. I would love to own a Baer or a Brown, WC, Nighthawk etc... But my current financial situation does not allow. Now I know i could have waited a couple years, saved my crumbs and got one of those more expensive pistols. But what would i have now? Nothing. Ultimately i would love to do a full custom build. But I doubt that I will ever be able to afford a $6000+ gun. At least not any time soon. Unfortunately I suffer from a very common disorder among the human race. "Impulsitis" It's a very disabling disease making me purchase things spur of the moment. Does that ever work out for me? Hell yes it does. My RO was an impulse buy and and I absolutely love that gun. I'll never get rid of it. Ultimately I've come to the conclusion that's it's ok to envy my fellow man for having better toys. But I cherish the ones I have and I worked my ass off for them. So if all you can afford is a RIA or a Taurus, then go for it. Cause that baby is gonna take down a BG just as fast as a WC. I say purchase the best gun suited for your needs at the price point you can afford. And then you can save your pennies for something that you dream of having. And I'm sure a lot of folks would look at my guns and say "why would you settle for those when you could have bought this or that". I could talk forever about this and now that I have rambled in my sleep deprived mind state. I have one question. What say YOU?

jake

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If I want item x but can have y now... I do my best to save for x, as I know I will just sell y, lose money, then buy x.

All that said.... I do a lot of buying y. I am pretty much done with that though, I have had pass though my hand just about all the sub 1k options. Now to try something new I have to save my money.

3. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I buy too many guns. Low priced guns, high priced guns. I got a real problem...

4. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I agree with this. Buy what you like and can afford (and I do not mean only 1911's) and if you have the resources to save for something better in the future, collect those nickles.

Even better when some dealers have a low deposit and a layaway program. :eyebrows:

5. Wheezy

Aug 31, 2011
    I myself am finally graduating to the 1000 plus gun level. I hope to have Joe build me a pistol based on pure function at the beginning of next year. But I also know that if I hadn't owned and shot those other guns I wouldn't have a healthy appreciation for the custom guns.

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Well, I guess there's no ending to a topic/situation like this.
    However I will say this. If you have the money for a true custom gun, it really cooks down to what you like, and who you trust. If you're buying any 1911 on a budget, you should plan on minor upgrades. This in order to insure better reliability. Especially if used for CCW etc.

Instead of buying different lower quality guns over the years, just hoping for the best, I think one would actually be better off with a plain old surplus police revolver from a gun show. Or buying a testproven service type pistol like Glock/HK/SIG etc. which would run you between $350 to 700. Then later on, save up more and buy what you really wan't.

Can't begin to tell you, how many times I've heard someone bitching about the gun...they should have gotten, insted of the one they have now.

Choices choices...it never end's does it.

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    When I bought my first real RIFLEMANS rifle it sat in the closet for 3 months before I could buy a scope worthy of such a rifle. The Leupold was worth waiting for. As impatient as I was it nearly drove me nuts waiting but it was the right thing to do.

8. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    For me it comes down to how long it is going to take to save up to get what you really want. I think someone is better of buying something inexpensive and reliable, preferably something in 9mm, if it is going to be their first weapon simply because when it comes to shooting there is no replacement for trigger time. Buy a $400-$500 glock and spend the rest on ammo and a training class or two. Then start pinching pennies to upgrade.

It won't do you any good to buy a $1500 semi custom right off the bat if you can't afford to buy a few cases of .45 to train with.

Now if you are already proficient with a handgun and know what you are looking for then you will save money by buying quality right off the bat. I know I have wasted tons of money in life buying the cheaper version of something only to realize it was junk and upgrade to the more expensive version later on anyways.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I hear a lot more people say, "I'm glad I waited and got what I really wanted," than, "I'm glad I didn't wait and got the lower-end gun now."

You'll probably have and enjoy this gun for the next ten or twenty years. What's another few months or another few hundred dollars? At the end of the day, you end up with what you wanted, which is really what it's all about anyway.

I know some people say, "Get the cheaper gun and buy more ammo." That's a reasonable argument, and I can't fault it. However, the thing to consider is which is easier:

- saving for a few months to buy more ammo
    - saving for a few months to sell the cheaper gun you have, shop around for a nicer gun, get the nicer gun, and then shoot the nicer gun with the ammo you already bought

I'd argue (a).

Andy

10. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I talked to a guy several months ago about the Model 1 he has from Guncrafter. He said something that I will never forget.

"I figured I would go ahead and start with the best so I wouldn't have to buy another one. That's why I bought a Guncrafter and why my watch is a Breitling".

Your Breitling or GI may be different than mine, but in the end, it's all about what you consider to be the best for you.

And the WORST thing a person can do is let others' buying habits influence them. Be true to thine self.

11. Wheezy

Aug 31, 2011
    There ya go. I wear a seiko. So I guess a Colt is a perfect match.

12. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Put me in the camp of buy once, buy quality.

13. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Last Xmas,I sold a bunch of "nice "guns to narrow the playing field so to speak
    As I work in a gunshop on Saturdays,a never ending line of nice pistols just seemed to pass through my hands over the years.

Now,as I am contemplating retirement(and a greatly reduced income),I have come to realize"he who dies with the most toys" is pure bull****.

The fewer the better,and the nicer the better.
    I say save and get the VERY best you can own.

Enjoy it while you can,hearses don't have luggage racks.

DAT85

14. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    and burial garments don't have pockets

15. zaskar017

zaskar017 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Instead of buying a pistol I wanted, I bought a lower end one and had it customized by a known smith. Frankly, the experience sucked and it still doesn't run reliably. I now have to pay a second smith to check it out.
    I will never go the cheaper route again. I have even thought about selling it off, taking the hit, and buying something better.

Buy once, cry once

16. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm in the "save until I can get what I want" category.

I'm saving for a Professional, now. :smile:

17. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Well said DAT85! A recent health issue had my life kinda spin out of control, really woke me up...I had to go on disability and a fixed income. I sold a bunch of "X's" and bought a couple "Y's" and that's it for me! I'm finished with buying...

18. Kazan

Kazan FUBAR

Sep 2, 2011
    I agree, you only go around once, get what you really want. If you don't you just end up buying it later on anyway

19. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
  20. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This and very well put DAT85. I have very few bought new handguns, I am more of a deal shopper to support my wants on my income. I do however like higher end handguns and rifles. I have several impulse buys, but high end stuff is always being sold at a loss to the original buyer weather new wants, divorce, needs $$ for bills, etc. When I want something and am 100% sure about it, I start looking. I have snagged many under priced firearms.

My best deal to date was looking to replace a TRP Operator that I had to sell several years back. I looked for 2 years for the deal I was happy with and ended up with a LNIB SA PRO Operator for $1500 this January.

I can't comment on a full custom since I don't have one, but if I could figure out exactly what I wanted, I would save for it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted