1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is a new Mod. 97 in .41mag, 5.5in barrel, premier grade that is priced at $2150.

The other is a slightly used (but looks barely shot) 83 in .454 w/ a .45LC cylinder included as well, 5.5in barrel and it's priced a little cheaper than the mod 97.

If I didn't have my Ruger Blackhawk in .41mag this would be a no brainier.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I prefer the Model 97 over the 83.. For the cost of these revolvers I would make sure you get the barrel length and caliber you want. At their price point what's an extra few shekels to be certain you're happy. I have the 97 in .45LC 5.5 inch barrel. I bought mine at First Stop Guns (via GA), they worked with me on the price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you get one let us know, post pics! Something I’ll share if you didn’t already know this, Freedom Arms guns have notoriously tight tolerances including the chamber throats. I keep my guns pretty clean. The throats in every FA I’ve owned have been a half thou over the diameter of an XPT. Lead bullets spring back typically a thou. I have personally gone to shooting Extreme plated bullets or seating lead bullets deeper than typical or looking for bullets that were lead sized a thou smaller than standard. It’s not much fun shoving the ogives/bearing surface a smidge into the throats at the range. Oh, and lastly, every single FA I’ve owned has shot the tightest groups at full throttle, but that’s my experience.
C4C4534E-F26F-409F-A25B-1E8D0CA1C754.jpeg

This is what you get though, 100 yards. 24.0g H110/240 XTP

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great shooting. I'll certainly report back which way I go. As of now probably leaning with thew .41 mag as I already have reloading components to it and don't currently own .454 or .45lc.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Good problem to have, choosing between those two. If it were me, I'd do the 454/45LC, just because I like variety. You already have a SA 41mag. Don't shoot my 454 much anymore. Getting older, and arthritis sucks a lot of the fun out of it. But I sure like knowing it's available. My 353 however is a joy. Looking forward to seeing your choice.
CIMG0974.JPG
CIMG0980.JPG

·
Registered
51 Posts
As of now probably leaning with thew .41 mag as I already have reloading components to it and don't currently own .454 or .45lc.
Leaning towards the .41 because you don't own a 45? (that's backwards!) :)

I prefer to carry the 97, but prefer to shoot the 83. ;)
The 97 is so small, it's hard for me to shoot well or for too long.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
I went with the Premier Grade 5.5" 97 in .45 Colt with an ACP cylinder as well.
It has the 2# trigger and FO front sight.
I have used it hog hunting with success, it is about the ideal size and weight for me to haul around all day.

Ashamed to admit I have NEVER even installed the .45 ACP cylinder.....

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It comes down to I know I can't go wrong either way. I have the .41 mag as low as I can get it at $2150 plus shipping. The 454/45 combo is a little less. Ultimately I'll probably end up with both one day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 97 is a good bit smaller with a transfer bar safety meaning you can safely carry it with five rounds.

The 83 is the bigger/heavier brother and you don’t want to carry with more than four chambered.

The .454 is the far more flexible of the two if you handload and the one I’d go with. Better for target shooting or hunting. If you’re looking for something to carry, that would swing things towards the 97 for me.

You will never regret buying a freedom arms, whichever you choose.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
I’ve got the 83 in .41 and it’s sweet.
Already had a .41,Ruger BH, and would’ve preferred a .44 or .454, but I have several .44’s and a S&W .460 which is what I shoot .454 out of.
Either way you can’t go wrong with a FA in any caliber. :)

Obligatory pic. ;)

C55BF4BB-95D4-4852-906D-C7B0CB1C7DCD.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts