Deciding on a Compact .45

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by GoKool, Dec 20, 2011.

1. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Please help me decide if these Dan Wesson C-bob would be worth it, or should I just save up for a Kobra Classic

1. 2007 Cbob, 2 owners, some idiot scratches on frame and top slide, no rd. count, $1050
    2. 2008 Cbob, 1 owner, looks brand new, no scratches, shot only 50rd. for reliability check, $1400
    3. New Kobra, $2400 + tax, ouch!

I really want a compact .45 for ccw, and want a quality-built one too..do i have any other options? Also, Im in Cali, so pretty limited on choices. I know if I have the $$ then go w/ the Kobra, but dang...just looking for value and quality at the same time

2. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
  4. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks guys for your direction but I believe the only DW on approved list is the Cbob and the PM7

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
  6. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Dang..i really like the price of the CCO..right up my alley, if it were only avail in Cali legally.

7. cdunn

cdunn Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2011
    get #1 ammo , range time and a good holster who cares about a scratch, its a tool to be used, primary carry right?

8. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    and also since it is stainless those marks can be buffed out or just have it refinished if the scratches bother you too much.

9. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Im gonna call a local FFL dealer here in San Diego and see if they can get that CCO from Grab-A-Gun for me..Doesnt hurt to try

10. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Cdunn- yes, primary carry..just found out rd. count on #1 cbob is 700. You do make a good point that its only surface scratches..that are bound to happen anyways...

11. cdunn

cdunn Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2011
    you got it,you can get alot of extras with that price diff.

12. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Take my word for it,if you want a CCO 1911,get a Stinger,don't even screw with a DW CCO.

Les has it down-pat and if you buy it from a Forum sponsor you will get great service if you ever need it worked on.

My 09 DW CCO will not be sold because of the issues I had with it and the ***t I put up with from DW's "customer service"
    I wouldn't feel right on passing on a cursed 1911 to anyone else.

It finally runs OK,but I won't sell it cause I don't want to be known as someone who ditches a problem on someone else.

If I sound like a shill for CJ,tough,I just don't want to see anybody get jerked around by DW's alleged CS like I was.:rolleyes2:

DAT85

13. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Dat- sorry you had bad experience w DW CS. And I appreciate your up-front honesty. Well now I have another model to research..

14. CuriosityKilledtheCATM

CuriosityKilledtheCATM IA to TX via the world

Nov 22, 2011
    I'm following this thread as I'm in the market for the same.

I've been looking at Kimber Pro Carry HDs, VBobs, and of course the dream - EB SF Carry. I have simple rules at least 4" barrel, preferably 4.25. Black/matte grey exterior (don't like shiny carry weapons), all steel construction, .45 ACP & a bobtail. Too bad STI doesn't make the Ranger II in a bobtail. And to get an SA Commander to my config, I'd be paying EB prices. . . If I'm to do that, then I'll just go with the SF Carry (I prefer the chain over the scale and diamond cuts of the Kobra & Executive).

So, GoKool, I'm very interested in what you end up choosing and how it works out for you.

FYI - this would be taking the place of my XDm45c for "winter"/cool weather carry. The EMP will remain the summer carry & BUG role.

15. Weaponologist

Weaponologist New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Man,,,
    I'm Sorry to hear someone had a problem that DW or CZ wouldn't take care of....I personally own two 07 CBOB's that I truly love,,,
    I hope it never happens.....However if I ever get unsatisfactory CS on a pistol that costs $1400 to $1700 and up,,,Well????? It wouldn't be pretty. so, I totally understand your frustration....

16. doc540

doc540 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    How about a modded Officers with an extra set of fauxpearl's?

[​IMG]

17. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    They took care of it,it was just a lack of reading comprehension on their part.

I sent specific WRITTEN instructions with the gun AFTER I discussed the shipping instructions with their CS guy.I went over how it was supposed to be return shipped.As I wouldn't be home for someone to sign for it(gotta work ya know! :grin: )I included a copy of my shop's FFL with the gun and,after discussing it with the CS guy AND putting the written instructions in with the gun,the dummies STILL sent it to my home address! :mad2:

I lost a day's vacation and had to drive 38 miles round trip to pick it up at the UPS shipping facility.

The gun left their factory (when I bought it)needing the following work,per their repair invoice:
    Polish breech face
    Replace slide stop
    Polish feed ramp
    Replace and tune extractor
    AND,get this,replace night sights??????

Sorry for the threadjack,but I bought the damm gun after listening to the "COTEP" guys brag about how great DW is.
    Imagine,someone on the internet was wrong! :eek:

:focus:

DAT85

18. Kazan

Kazan FUBAR

Sep 2, 2011
    Guess I'm not the only one who is less than impressed with DW CS.

19. GoKool

GoKool New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    CKTC- I dont mind the SS finish after viewing all the sweet-looking pics on this site. And the bobtail seems like a great option, but if I can get a CCO size, then I would be fine w/ that. I did test out a CCO Kimber model at the range one time, and it felt pretty comfortable on the grip, similar to my G19, as far as length of grip.

Doc- that Colt really stands out! Looks tite! What size is the barrel on it? 3"

Im also gonna take a look at a SA Champion at a LGS tomorrow. Original owner had it in the safe the entire time, and they're just trying to get rid of it.
    #1 DW Cbob is SPF

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted