Springfield Armory Decisions decisions-Update

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Doc45, Mar 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    **UPDATE-thanks to my friendly neighborhood ffl dealer I'm getting a screaming deal on the RO Elite Operator 9mm. Eventhough I said I didn't want a rail I'd be a bigger fool than I'm usually accused of being if I said no LOL. He ordered one for another customer, that guy had to back out so I get it stupid cheap. Should bring it home after a couple weeks at my next payday**

I’m toying with getting either of two 5” pistols. Dan Wesson Vigil or Springfield TRP-about a $25/$30 difference so essentially a wash price wise. I like that I can get the Vigil in 9 but after shooting a buddies TRP yesterday I was very impressed.

The gun I really want-5” SA RO Elite with the Target frame but Operator slide-doesn’t exist. Not a fan of railed guns (nor the bulky fixed sight replacements for the adjustable sight) and thrilled with my RO Elite Compact.

Appreciate any thoughts. Primary use would be home defense, occasional carry and fun at the range/classes.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    The TRP is a solid choice.

esmith1721, JM44, Doc45 and 1 other person like this.

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've had a few TRPs and they were all great shooters and rugged as hell. I'm sure I'll own another one day.

JM44, Doc45 and Stogies like this.
  4. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    TRP. You will enjoy it more at the range, it will look good sitting on your bedside table, and not too heavy to carry.

Doc45 likes this.
  5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    You can’t go wrong with either one, so that makes the decision easy.

Personally, I couldn’t be happier with my TRP Operator. I tweaked the trigger to my preference right after I got it and have done nothing to it since except shoot the hell out of it regularly for years. It’s a bank vault of a weapon and the fitment is as good as anything I’ve ever seen short of a full custom 6k+ build.

Doc45 likes this.
  6. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Depends on your preference, each should do well. I personally like the aggressive 20 LPI on the Springers but you will find many that bitch about it hurting their hands. It likely isn’t the best option if you are wearing gloves either. Does the aggressive checkering bother you? Do you prefer the Vigil aluminum over steel frame? I would focus on these two questions and let them determine which you prefer.

Doc45 likes this.
  7. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I would want the DW. Both are excellent pistols. I just can't get over the excessive advertisements on the slide of the TRP. Just my preference

Doc45 likes this.
  8. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    They each have features that I appreciate. The DW is available in 9mm **edited the rest of my comments as a brain fart set in and I realized I was talking about the A2 negatives not the Vigil doh!**

The SA has the front serrations which I don’t care for and the flgr which I’d replace as my friend did on his. The checkered front strap really locked the gun in my grip and wasn’t a problem on the drills I ran. I really want a full size 9 but the TRP shot so nice I suppose I could always get by with one more .45 lol.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Find a good deal on a DW Valor before they are all gone...

dooer700 likes this.
  10. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I had a stainless Valor, just didn't click for me, can't say exactly what but my other 5" guns (Baer and a custom built on Caspian slide/frame) feel better in my hand, I shot them better so I sold it.

Now to further complicate matters I rented a SA RO Elite Operator 9mm at my range and, damn, what a fine shooting pistol that is! I don't like the railed frame but I might overlook as it's a 9 and shot so accurately (as well as being less expensive-though I'd end up swapping out the mim parts for either Harrison's or Brown's as I did my Compact so I'd creep back to a similar cost).

Things may have just gotten more complicated :D

11. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Nothing wrong with a solid Springer, especially if you like to tinker with it

esmith1721 and Doc45 like this.
  12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I am a DW fan. you know my choice

Capthobo likes this.
  13. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    DW would be my choice. Great product with little billboard advertising (Clean slab sides) with a great warranty and customer service.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted