Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by mal-adapted, Mar 20, 2019.

1. mal-adapted

mal-adapted New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Hey fam I’m looking for a bobbed commander and a local shop has a new Dan Wesson Guardian for $1200 and a used Ed Brown Kobra Carry for $2000. The cost isn’t an issue my budget would allow me to go a good bit higher than the Brown but I really like the feel of these.

So I’m looking for suggestions and advice from you all as to which way I should go here. Thanks for the help.

Best regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brucebulluck

brucebulluck Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Nothing wrong with the DW but given this choice I’m going Brown in stainless. Not wild about the g4 finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badabing11 and mal-adapted like this.

3. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Great price on the Guardian . As far as I'm concerned the DW is just as good as the Brown .

4. usmcdjb

usmcdjb Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Believe I'm right here, that the guardian is alloy frame and the brown steel. I have 4 DWs, and love them. But all are steel frame guns. My preference.

Have you seen the Volkman in the classifieds here???? If you have the funds, that's how I would go.

boatdoc and mal-adapted like this.
  5. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    If the gun is a range gun and IF the EB is in top shape(lightly used, no marks...) it is a deal @1/3 off
    dw guardians are still easily available . You can add that next

if you are going to carry, then dw guardian is the choice

6. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    ^^^That right there.

mal-adapted likes this.
  7. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I have an early model KC .45 and Guardian in .38 sup & 9mm. They all shoot great but I really like the feel of the Kobra..... if it was .38 sup. I'd be in love... :rolleyes:

8. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    My number one carry is currently my EB Kobra Carry in .45 ACP that I've had for over 8 years. Next in line (but gaining favor) is my Alchemy Anomaly in .45 ACP. I have a DW Guardian, .38 Super, being "peaked and tweaked" by Steve Owens that may end up being my primary EDC because it's a lighter pistol in my favorite caliber - and Steve is doing some very good custom work on it. All of these pistols are great choices and I'll probably rotate them since there's very little difference in their "manual of arms". They all function flawlessly with several prime self defense ammo choices and are capable of better accuracy than I am. What more do you need.

ZArugby and mal-adapted like this.
  9. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
  10. mal-adapted

mal-adapted New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Thanks fam. The EB is black coated. I’m assuming this is some sort of cerakoat crap.

But now that Volkmann has thrown an interesting twist into this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    Please post photos of this when you get it back. I am getting one and would like to see ideas.

By the way OP, if money isn't an issue, I would go with this:
    https://cajunconcealed.com/guncrafter-industries-no-name-commander-1

mal-adapted likes this.
  12. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I agree with ZArugby, if you want something special the GI is an amazing choice. I had one a 9mm bobtail that just went to another addict because I wasn't shooting it and currently I have a CCO GI in the collection- I don't know what they do but they are amazingly accurate, notably so and they feel like they were machined from one piece of steel.

My next choice would be the Guardian, I owned one for a while and the aluminum frame is perfect for a carry gun.

I would have said jump on the Brown if it had been stainless but I'm not a huge fan of the Brown G4 finish.

Good luck ;)

mal-adapted likes this.
  13. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018

14. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I have owned both the DW Guardian and the EB Kobra Carry lightweight. I would recommend the EB hands down.

15. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    OP!
    Go with what your first instinct was or is!

The EB is a great deal, if you have the serial # EB can tell you if it’s SS or carbon if it’s SS EB will remove the finish and beadblast for a few hundred dollars presto SS EB
    The EB is a great deal

The guardian is also a sweet deal.
    To be honest this forum is properly named and most of the members are enablers, Regardless of which pistol you choose I’d guess you will be seeking the other one shortly. The guardian will be a tad easier over a long day of CCW ing.
    Myself I suffer from the short guy syndrome W/ NAAA (no ass at all) so when the urge is to CCW a Heavier 1911 it’s Suspenders, so I own both LWs and the heavys

Go with what your first instinct was/is,
    then put the other on the next up have to haves list.

16. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Negative, not cerakote. Brown's Duty Finish or whatever they call it is pretty darn rugged.

I've got both an EB KC and DW Guardian.

I do prefer the EB unless weight is a factor that day. The front strap checkering on the Guardian gets dinged up fairly easily and is quite visible.

Checkering on the Kobra Carry is more aggressive / secure. So much so that I put snakeskin MSH's in my Guardians.

Twins Ed Brown-001.JPG

View attachment 243423

Twins DW Guardian-001.JPG

Twins DW Guardian-004.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    cgff and Oldgunner like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted