1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Decisions, decisions....

946 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  ZoidMeister 
#1 ·
Hey fam I’m looking for a bobbed commander and a local shop has a new Dan Wesson Guardian for $1200 and a used Ed Brown Kobra Carry for $2000. The cost isn’t an issue my budget would allow me to go a good bit higher than the Brown but I really like the feel of these.

So I’m looking for suggestions and advice from you all as to which way I should go here. Thanks for the help.

Best regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
If the gun is a range gun and IF the EB is in top shape(lightly used, no marks...) it is a deal @1/3 off
dw guardians are still easily available . You can add that next

if you are going to carry, then dw guardian is the choice

#7 ·
I have an early model KC .45 and Guardian in .38 sup & 9mm. They all shoot great but I really like the feel of the Kobra..... if it was .38 sup. I'd be in love... :rolleyes:

#8 ·
My number one carry is currently my EB Kobra Carry in .45 ACP that I've had for over 8 years. Next in line (but gaining favor) is my Alchemy Anomaly in .45 ACP. I have a DW Guardian, .38 Super, being "peaked and tweaked" by Steve Owens that may end up being my primary EDC because it's a lighter pistol in my favorite caliber - and Steve is doing some very good custom work on it. All of these pistols are great choices and I'll probably rotate them since there's very little difference in their "manual of arms". They all function flawlessly with several prime self defense ammo choices and are capable of better accuracy than I am. What more do you need.

#11 ·
Reactions: mal-adapted
#16 · (Edited)
Thanks fam. The EB is black coated. I’m assuming this is some sort of cerakoat crap.

But now that Volkmann has thrown an interesting twist into this decision. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative, not cerakote. Brown's Duty Finish or whatever they call it is pretty darn rugged.

I've got both an EB KC and DW Guardian.

I do prefer the EB unless weight is a factor that day. The front strap checkering on the Guardian gets dinged up fairly easily and is quite visible.

Checkering on the Kobra Carry is more aggressive / secure. So much so that I put snakeskin MSH's in my Guardians.

Gun Firearm White Line Trigger

View attachment 243423

Gun Firearm Trigger White Line

Brown Leather Tan Liver Everyday carry

Reactions: cgff and Oldgunner
#12 ·
I agree with ZArugby, if you want something special the GI is an amazing choice. I had one a 9mm bobtail that just went to another addict because I wasn't shooting it and currently I have a CCO GI in the collection- I don't know what they do but they are amazingly accurate, notably so and they feel like they were machined from one piece of steel.

My next choice would be the Guardian, I owned one for a while and the aluminum frame is perfect for a carry gun.

I would have said jump on the Brown if it had been stainless but I'm not a huge fan of the Brown G4 finish.

Good luck ;)

Reactions: mal-adapted
#14 ·
I have owned both the DW Guardian and the EB Kobra Carry lightweight. I would recommend the EB hands down.

#15 ·
OP!
Go with what your first instinct was or is!

The EB is a great deal, if you have the serial # EB can tell you if it’s SS or carbon if it’s SS EB will remove the finish and beadblast for a few hundred dollars presto SS EB
The EB is a great deal

The guardian is also a sweet deal.
To be honest this forum is properly named and most of the members are enablers, Regardless of which pistol you choose I’d guess you will be seeking the other one shortly. The guardian will be a tad easier over a long day of CCW ing.
Myself I suffer from the short guy syndrome W/ NAAA (no ass at all) so when the urge is to CCW a Heavier 1911 it’s Suspenders, so I own both LWs and the heavys

Go with what your first instinct was/is,
then put the other on the next up have to haves list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.