Defensive Light

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Don Locke, Sep 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Don Locke

Don Locke Active Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Ok,found a new subject.Got to thinking about adding a light to my LB.To those of that have lights without a rail,what are you using,do you like them,pros and cons,is there more than one system,thanks.

2. Sonic Ox

Sonic Ox Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I'm probably in the minority here Don but I've never liked having a light attached to my pistol. I came up sort of old school with a flashlight in my support hand. Just more natural to me now. I've got a rechargeable Pelican brand light that is REALLY bright and seems rather indestructible after about six years of use.

coma44, Fred_G, simonp and 4 others like this.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I see a light on a pistol as a very personable thing. They work for some, but not for everyone. There is not right or wrong. I do prefer a hand held light, but my “bump in the night” pistol is a HK45 with an x300U mounted. I do grab both the HK and a hand held light. I primarily use the hand held light. If I need to, I can drop the light and engage with the pistol and it’s mounted light.

So for me, I see a usefulness with both.

However, I only see a handheld light being the only option if your pistol does not have a rail.

HOTCHKIS, Fred_G, simonp and 3 others like this.
  4. Sonic Ox

Aug 14, 2018
    Ive seen a couple of models that will attach to a trigger guard but can't vouch for 'em.

5. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    For a non pistol light it really depends on what I'm wearing/doing. I'm a big believer in KISS when it come to operating systems so a simple tail click on/off is all I really want. I prefer that a light comes on at full charge not a low charge. However I'm not LEO/mil and don't kid myself about my day to day so I often just carry a small AAA light that's ~150-180 lumens. My bedside light is much brighter ~500 lumens and fits 2 123cr (?) batteries of a similar 1860 (?) type.

Having said that, I'm a fan of lights on the pistol as well as off. They perform different jobs and are only somewhat interchangeable as I see it. I don't want to pull out my pistol to check my keys & look for the door lock and maybe not even to quickly scan an area. However if there is a potential threat and I'm searching a room, alleyway etc I want to know what my pistol is pointed at while retaining 2 hand control.

If possible take your light to the range with you and try some shooting with it. Some folks do fine with a light in one hand, gun in the other. I've also seen people lose almost all control of both, flag themselves with the gun, fail to hit a man sized target at 10 feet etc.

Don Locke likes this.
  6. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve seen those as well, no idea how well they may hold up so I didn’t mention them

Sonic Ox likes this.
  7. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    azpoolguy likes this.
  8. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    For handheld, Surefire...either their EDC models with the gas pedal push button, or their new tactician, but I like dual output. Depends on your philosophy of use.

For weapon mounted lights, Surefire X300U for everything that will accept it. Not a fan of streamlight....due to their build quality and their activation levers on the rear of their WML’s....

Ymmv.

Sapper likes this.
  9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    My SD pistol is also a HK45 with a light on it. However, I have a Surefire handheld right next to it. There are a lot of advantages to a handheld, to include being able to see without casting the shadow weapons mounted lights cause. Plus, if you ever have to clear your house, the handheld is much better for it. Take a lowlight handgun or rifle course and you'll see how much better a handheld is over a WML. But, the WML does allow for two hand manipulation, which is a plus itself.

10. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    When I clear “open door” calls etc at work I have my handgun out, which has a WML, and I have a handheld...I clear with the handheld due to not wanting to muzzle anyone inadvertently....Use of force policy and all that :roll:....but a good theory for those who aren’t so gun/Tactical savvy....or jumpy.

HOTCHKIS, Sonic Ox and ImperialBlade like this.
  11. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    ^^^ Solid....

12. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I don't like a light on my guns either.../ if you use it on a gun it means you're sweeping someone with the muzzle of the gun as well. I think that's a bad plan in general..

Surefire in my hand is a better option for me.

WhoIsJohnGalt?, Sonic Ox and july19 like this.
  13. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2018
    I have used both, much prefer hand held. I go with Surefire 6p with Malkoff Devices M60 twisty swith, or Surefire EB1 Backup tactical switch. No modes to click through if SHTF. And I *try* to practice low light shooting once per quarter

Sonic Ox likes this.
  14. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I too prefer handheld, prefer a Surefire. I have one on my bedside table next to my gun and I have one stashed in the pocket of all my jackets, handy if carrying and handy to use to blind or as an impact tool if not carrying.

I just dont really like the lines of a 1911 with a rail, don't want the added bulk of a light attached to the gun all the time and prefer the flexibility of the handheld as opposed to muzzle and light pointing together, if it turns out to be friend as opposed to foe.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Sonic Ox like this.
  15. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
  16. Sonic Ox

Aug 14, 2018
    That's a nice looking light Dave but man! $225 for a flashlight is a little spendy for my modest wallet. I got the Peestream Urinator model from TTT for $19.95 and it comes with a 365 second warranty. Still haven't sent me a new catalog though.:p

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  17. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Sonic Ox likes this.
  18. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Don’t look at custom flashlights if $225 is spendy, seriously, I tried to educate myself on custom lights on candle forums, the options and numbers are dizzying and the prices one can pay for a custom light!! I log off, I can’t afford another addiction right now. I stick to surefire or Malkoff or overready lights if there is a great sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Sonic Ox likes this.
  19. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    Surefire is the only light that I will use. Taken them to the sandbox a couple times and they never let me down. I also prefer the switching options. The lights that have a bunch of options for output or are programmable don't seem helpful in stressful situations. I want to hit a rear button once and have the full force of the light going immediately.

Sonic Ox and simonp like this.
  20. coma44

coma44 Active Member

May 25, 2018
    I am another hand held guy and my every day carry is an Olight M1X Striker had it for over a year zero issues and it came with charger and rechargeable battery IMG_20181002_210627.jpg IMG_20181002_210627.jpg

Sonic Ox likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted