1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread in which I asked for input regarding a “custom” Delta Elite being auctioned on GB since I was looking for a 10mm 1911 and have always liked the Deltas. I received good information from those of you who participated, and I thank you.
Fast forward to this past weekend. I have also been searching for a birth year Colt, which for me is 1959. Well, I found the birth year Colt Gold Cup National Match on Armslist. It is very nice, no box or papers and shows some wear, which I think adds to the character of the gun. While I was speaking to the seller regarding the GCNM, he explained that he was liquidating an estate for an individual whose father, the owner of the guns, had passed. Unfortunately, because the estate owner did not know much about guns, there were no boxes (he had thrown them out instead of move them....GASP).
During our conversations, I asked, in true Addict form, what else he had. The seller told me he had what appeared to be a never fired Colt Delta Gold Cup, made in 1989. He sent pictures which supported what he said, and after a little haggling, I secured the Delta for $1200, oh, and did I mention it does not have the original grips, but is wearing a nice set of mammoth ivories. A deal I could not pass up.
I picked both pistols up today and am thoroughly pleased. Below are a couple of pictures.

0858764C-8146-4762-B69D-8B26BF1A6BF2.jpeg
D779AF19-7A81-49F1-822B-CDE78DDFEACE.jpeg

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, SS Heinie and T4 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,130 Posts
Sweet deal. It looks great with those ivory grips.

Reactions: colrhino

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,515 Posts
Awesome. You got a pretty good deal 😉

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it’s good that at least the Delta Gold Cup was a good deal. The birth year Gold Cup NM, maybe not so much. Like I said, I knew it was going to have some wear, which, to me, added some character. The wear was not bad at all for a 62 year old gun. Also, the previous owner had stippled the front strap, which was common back in the day. That didn’t really bother me either. But WHAT DOES bother me is that when I went to clean it up and give it a shine, I noticed a dark color on my rag. It appears that the previous owner tried to cover some areas with Cold Blue or the like. Now, down the side of the slide, I have a large area of bare metal. I guess I will be having it refinished. Looks like I am batting .500.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, it’s good that at least the Delta Gold Cup was a good deal. The birth year Gold Cup NM, maybe not so much. Like I said, I knew it was going to have some wear, which, to me, added some character. The wear was not bad at all for a 62 year old gun. Also, the previous owner had stippled the front strap, which was common back in the day. That didn’t really bother me either. But WHAT DOES bother me is that when I went to clean it up and give it a shine, I noticed a dark color on my rag. It appears that the previous owner tried to cover some areas with Cold Blue or the like. Now, down the side of the slide, I have a large area of bare metal. I guess I will be having it refinished. Looks like I am batting .500.
Now you have done it Got me on GB looking for a Delta Gold Cup . Thats a Sweet Pistol!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts