Delta Elite

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Clayton Doty, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Clayton Doty

Clayton Doty New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I want to scratch my itch for a 10mm and looking at the Delta Elite. I have heard that the "newer" ones are better. Hoping those that have them, new, or old, will chime in and let me know what you like about them, and what you don't like. Haven't heard many bad things about them. How do the new 2019 models stack up against models from a few years back, and against the original models. Any model year that stands out? Thanks in advance.

1L26 and 41 Charlie like this.
  2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Unfortunately, I’ve never owned one so no help with the quality question. However, I’ve always preferred the first generation (Blue) Delta Elites. There’s just something about a classic Blue Colt! I believe Colt only made the blue Deltas for a couple of years, then created the stainless variations. I’ve always kind of lusted for a blue Delta as a base pistol for a full custom build. But that’s just me. I’m sure some Delta owners will chime in with some good info.

cgff, joerockhead and Kip like this.

3. Clayton Doty

Clayton Doty New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks 41 Charlie, hope others will chime in.

41 Charlie likes this.
  4. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Have one of the early(first year) models.
    Thing always ran with good mags,which tended to eat them up fast.
    Has the distinctive Colt "death rattle" but otherwise a definite shooter.
    Not familiar with any of the later models.

5. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    IMG_0307.JPG I have one of the 2017 updated (current) ones and love it! I've shot a lot of different ammo through it and it functions 100% with light to heavy loads. I think 10mm might be the optimal auto cartridge because of its range (velocity) I may buy more 10's but will never sell this one.

UBOATDOC, xerts1191, 1L26 and 3 others like this.
  6. Clayton Doty

Clayton Doty New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I really like the new models.what would be a good price for a late model Delta in “like new” condition? Maybe a couple hundred rounds fired. Thanks

7. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
  8. Clayton Doty

Clayton Doty New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks OSD, will check the classifieds for any for sale. Doesn’t seem to be a lot around. Thanks for the reply.

9. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Good luck, everything shows up here if you are patient

1L26 likes this.
  10. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I like them, but I am partial to Colts. I do like the original look of the older ones, ring hammer and duck tail grip safety. The new ones seem to be built pretty well.

I would say 10mms need to have their springs changed pretty often so a used one will need to be checked out first.

11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I would spend the extra money buy a DW. Many say they dont have issues running full power 10mm in a delta I have seen otherwise. IMO go with something with a ramped barrel you are much better off.. The Dan Wesson RZ10 is right around the same money as a delta. IMO its twice the gun. Trigger is better fitting is better the barrel is better and finish is nicer as well..

12. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I just sold mine to my brother in law.
    I plan on getting a Springer next.
    It was nice, but my cousin bought a 10mm S.A. TRP after I got it and it put it to shame...

Kip and WWB like this.
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    For an additional $500 it should be better.

14. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Here's mine.... New last year.

upload_2019-1-31_13-6-35.jpeg

UBOATDOC, xerts1191, PhilaPop and 2 others like this.
  15. mauserfan

mauserfan Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I have a 1988 DE Blued and is unstoppable. Folks have their likes and dislikes but these 1911's are tough. In the 10mm this is a lot of hurt in your hand. Just my honest .02......mauser

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    1L26, Kip and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  16. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    My DE is really a BBQ/Court/Sunday go to meeting gun. My EDC is a Dan Wesson Valor in 10mm. It is a lot of bang for the buck and the Silverback is also a great deal if you can scoop one of those... Early DEs ( for want of a better phrase) were reportedly a bit fragile back in the day but the new models are really good to go. Underwood, for the early DEs, had a DE load they were recommending however, that issue has been worked out according to them and now a DE can run any load they have due to a powder change they adopted.
    Good luck!

17. PhilaPop

PhilaPop Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Wow! That's a looker. Not sure I'd want to actually shoot that, but it's a beauty...

1L26 likes this.
  18. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I don't believe they've changed anything thru the years as far as "more robust".
    Solid as far as Colt goes...sure as hell ain't a Wesson!!! :)

WWB likes this.
  19. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    Actually the difference was only $400, but yes it should.
    However the 10mm R.O. Elite I've been looking at is about $150 less than the DE...
    However, I do like stainless...and say what you want about Colts but when it comes time to sell everybody knows the name.
    My Bro-in-law didn't even haggle.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Kip, Harleyvato and WWB like this.
  20. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    The RO Elite is also calling to me...

Fatbob Frank likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted