Detonics Combat Master

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by FullCaliber, Nov 29, 2011.

1. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I read on here more than I post :)
    I've been staring at a local ad for two Detonics Combat Masters, private sale, "make me an offer". I've tried to find reviews of these guns online, but have had limited sucess. It appears the first manufacturer made them in the late 70's early 80's before they went under. A new company in Georgia bought them out and started making them again in around 2005? The questions of the post: are the new ones better than the old ones? I thought the old ones were made in Washington but the seller says his were made in Arizona in 79-81. Any help/info on these little suckers is appreciated.

2. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Call the guy up and ask what his bottom dollar is. Then ask if you can go test fire them before buying. If the answer is "NO!" (and I'll bet money it will be) WALK AWAY! I have no idea if the "newer" Detonics are better than the older ones, but the old ones were/are JUNK! The Detonic head gunsmith said IN PRINT that half of the pistols shipped were returned and most of them were scraped because they could not be repaired and a new pistol with the same serial number was shipped back. How many others were simply were sold off to a collector or became safe queens? Detonics is/was a bitch to work with. First time they came out I sent my FFL and Retail Tax Permit and asked for dealer info, got a letter back I needed to send my FFL & RTP, so I did, again. Got letter back I needed to send my RTP, AGAIN, which I did. Got a letter I needed to send a copy of my FFL/RTP/yellow pages advert. Then letter wanting FFL/RTP/yellow pages ad/photo of business. Then got letter back wanting...no idea as I threw the letter away and Detonics went belly up. Next time Detonics came back I tried again. Repeat above. Quit bothering after that.

3. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Woah. I think I will just skip on them... doesnt sound worth the work. Thanks!

4. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I have a 1986 CM V. I find it's finicky with FMJ and the partial grip makes it tougher to control. However, after shooting it a few hundred rounds, I have gotten accustomed to its grip size. I find it to be surprisingly accurate for a gun of this size and barrel length. I may take it into a gunsmith to get an inspection. I acquired it from a gunsmith in town and it was pristine.

I have 3 Detonics Magazines. I find operation to be better with Wilson Combat Mags. However, they extend beyond the grips. Most issues that I find with many semiautomatics are with magazines.

5. roman3667

roman3667 Banned

Aug 6, 2012
    Get a model from the 80's and you are good to go.

6. dirtyhippy

dirtyhippy 55 cents.... im .45-less.

Aug 21, 2012
    They're like AMT's, but crappier.

7. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted