Detonics Patent Pending, Incoming

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Nick Rice, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I was looking to buy a Colt .38 Super but l saw this and had to have it. I have a SS MKVl already but this caught my eye, hard to figure the exact year but l think it's very early with the pat pend on slide, curved hammer and l 52xx ser.no. It was an estate sale and appears unfired and l don't think it was ever field stripped until I got it home. Came in mint factory pouch as well.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Very nice CombatMaster. I've had one for a long time, I got tired of the way it looked. It served as a CC/car pistol for a long time, so I had it Cerakoted couple years ago. Before and after pics. There is a Detonics Forum but IMO it is not very user friendly. I had Sarge make some grips for it. Detonics .45acp.jpg Combat Master.jpg

3. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    The rarest of these are apparently the few made in AZ by hand when the company transitioned there. I had one of those that was sort of two toned and it shot pretty well. Like a few other guns...I wish I still had it.

Just Terry, Nick Rice and 2sharp2 like this.
  4. TonyRumore

TonyRumore New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    The Arizona guns were the second Detonics Company. All of the original guns were made in Bellevue, WA. The guns that are marked Seattle, were actually made in Bellevue.

Management at Detonics felt the guns would sell better marked "Seattle" rather than Bellevue for whatever reason. ATF eventually put a stop to that.

Tony Rumore
    Tromix

UBOATDOC, RMF308 and Nick Rice like this.
  5. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I bought an 84 new in 84 as a backup to the 78 Colt Gov I carried. Probably influenced by too much by "Miami Vice". I did replace the wood stocks on that with Pachmayr wrap around grips since my little finger has no place to go when I fire that guy. It is a survivor and I still have it plus the original wood stocks and the rug it came in.

[​IMG]

A couple years ago I saw a blued one in the used area of a LGS and bought it for about $500. I think I listed that under an impulse buy. From other forums the serial number of I 52xx dates it to about mid 1977, but not 100% sure about that.

On the forums.1911forum.com (yes I know that is a nasty name here) search through the posts. I know there was a discussion of what parts were similar with current 1911 parts and which were hard to get and where you could get them. I know I detail stripped mine and measured a bunch of the different parts.

[​IMG]

ronin11 and Nick Rice like this.
  6. Nick Rice

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks for your info. I was guessing '77 as well. I read that the first 2000 were not sold to the public ? Here's a pic of my MKVI ser.no. CR110XX [​IMG][​IMG]

ronin11 likes this.
  7. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    So, what's the story with these guns? I've never heard of them.

8. Nick Rice

Feb 2, 2017
    I remember them from the time when l first started shooting around 1980. I just got interested in them a couple years ago. Just Google it and you'll see it does have a good history, well worth reading. Miami vice also made it popular. It was originally intended as a backup and hideout gun for law enforcement. Excellent quality, tight fitting and a good shooter for only having a 3 1/2" barrel. No grip safety and l believe the first not to have a barrel bushing. Check em out, pretty cool, you might want one.

9. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    you guys are going to drain my savings account. Gotta have one!

10. TonyRumore

TonyRumore New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    At one time I had 3 Combat Masters in 45 ACP and two in 9mm. They were neat pistols, but I usually ended up shooting my Score Master. That thing was incredibly accurate.
    I also had a blank firing Japanese Combat Master.

Tony

Nick Rice likes this.
  11. Nmhunter

Nmhunter Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Sonny Crockett in Miami Vice carried a detonics combat master. Detonics made around 200 of them without sites that were sold to the CIA as the legend goes. They also made a few in the 451 detonics caliber in both the combat master and the Score Master. There is a ton of history with the original detonics company. They pushed the envelope on the 1911 while they were in business in the 80s. It is worth your time to do some research.

Nick Rice likes this.
  12. FastDoug

FastDoug Member

Feb 9, 2019
    The Detonics made about 17,000 combat Master Mark VII between 1976 and 1987 with a $389 price tag but the new Colt Combat Commander cost $250 and by 1984 the cost for a New Detonics was $754.And you can get the rest of this information out of the latest American Rifleman magazine.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Nick Rice likes this.
  13. Nick Rice

Feb 2, 2017
    Good to know and yes, I do remember they seemed expensive in the day and I always ended up buying a Colt, Springfield or Sig.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted