1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shoppng for my first 1911. I decided I wanted a full size, made in the US chambered in 9mm under a 1000 bucks. I plan to use this occasionally in USPSA single stack division (reliability is critical) and for general range fun. One of the gun makers I was considering is Devil dog arms. They are made in my home state of illinois, and located only about 30 miles away from me. Their guns carry a lifetime warranty. I have fondled the Devil Dog 1911's before. The slides feel very smooth, lockup nicely and the triggers are light and crisp. The stock G10 grips feel excellent and the checkering on the front and back straps helps hang on during fast shooting. Before I spent money, I wanted to make sure that they would run reliably and shoot accurately. I called and spoke with Tommy Thacker of Devil Dog Arms. Tommy has a long shooting pedigree. He holds a national title in three gun, and is a past president at Armalite. He patiently answered every question I could come up with and a few I had not thought of. As luck would have it, Tommy and the new owner of Devil Dog arms, Barry Boudage were doing training for the sales staff at a local range (Fox Valley Shooting Range in Elgin) This is a spotless new facility with great friendly people. After Tommy finished training the sales staff, I paid for an hour of range time (got a veterans discount) I went in and shot with the Devil dog guys. I ran thru about a 100 rounds of their fiocchi 9mm that fed and functioned flawlessly. We also ran thru about 80 rounds of my 9mm 147 grain coated lead reloads. (These were light loads, sized for my CZ.) I had one failure with my reloads. We could not get it to fail again, even in rapid fire mag dumps. I suspect I may have dragged my thumb on the slide as I am new to shooting a 1911. I usually use a red dot sight to mitigate old fart vision, but even with iron sights, by the end of the session, I managed to keep 6 of 8 rounds in the 2" bullseye at 30 feet. The remaining 2 were just outside. The gun fit very comfortably and recoil with factory ammo or reloads was very soft. The guys were about as accommodating as humanly possible. I am a lefty shooter and they are are going to fit an ambi safety, just charging me for the part, and I am going to write a check.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Gentlemen, WaltherWhite is a close friend of mine, over a year ago he invited me to an indoor range and I was hooked. He taught me a lot about shooting straight and mentored me & got me started reloading. Recently he has introduced me into USPSA Thursday night shoots. (I am hooked but I still suck)
I hope I played some part in his interest in 1911s and I introduced him to this site.

So please welcome him as you did me so many years ago.

Thank you,
Jeffrey

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
Welcome! We need gun pics ASAP!

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
If Duke says your good, your good! Welcome again from NW Ohio and that choice in firearm sounds really interesting. You must put some pics up as soon as you receive it and do us a little range report. I’ve never heard of them.

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
A hardy welcome from the rainy NW! And I sure do like that pistol!!
I was just trying to sneak In quiet like without all this darn good feelings. Just kidding, thanks for all the welcomes. Here is a picture of the Devil dog in a tungsten / nickel cerakote View attachment 222097

Reactions: BennyAdeline

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,018 Posts
Any friend of Duke's is a friend of ours ;)

·
Banned
593 Posts
Welcome from a next-door-state neighbor in Missouri.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts