Guncrafter Dichrolam Grips

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by DPVY, Oct 2, 2018.

1. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Hey guys,

I thought I would give you a preview of some new grips that we will be offering for sale, or on builds.

If you aren't familiar with Dichrolam, give it a Google. Pretty interesting stuff. 20181001_142105.jpg 20181001_142123.jpg

Novak77, Joni Lynn, kwkid55 and 11 others like this.
  2. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Wild looking stuff there.

John Blazy likes this.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Saw these a few days ago while at the LGS. Pretty neat looking designs!

Good to see them mounted and seeing the lines matching up well.

John Blazy likes this.
  4. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    Nice BBQ grips but cost is above my pay scale...

John Blazy and Mike Meints like this.
  5. John Blazy

John Blazy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2018
    Wow - photographed better than my photos. Nice to see you showing this material - more versions to come, like Black Sea below, and new chameleon metallic in Chatoyant Carbon Fiber.
    BTW - Guncrafters is one our visionary dealers - don't contact me for grips - I just invented and mfr the raw material.

1911-BS-Txt.JPG BS-gip-newtab.jpg 1911-PurpleCham-AngleVu.jpg 1911-SolidCF-angleFull.jpg
    1911-SolidCF-clsp-lower-fixed.JPG
    1911-wrf-platinum-txt.jpg

6. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Those are pretty wild. Where would one go to shop for such things?

John Blazy likes this.
  7. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
    Here: https://www.guncrafterindustries.com/dichrolam-grips-red-burl/
    Guncrafters carries the Red Burl, and can likely order sets in my Chatoyant Carbon Fiber (either solid CF, Platinum or Supershift Chameleon) or the Dichrolam Black Sea. Still trying to ascertain interest before stocking certain dealers.

bluelund79 and Ethanol Red like this.
  8. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    $400 grips mounted on a Taurus, priceless...

9. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
    Like mags on a Yugo!:) I've got about a quarter million invested in these products and just starting to climb out of debt, so when I bought the Taurus, I didn't tell my wife for weeks. Been offered a great deal on a WC, but Tricia wouldn't have it. Likely go for a Guncrafters soon, for obvious reasons.

bluelund79, gps man, kwkid55 and 6 others like this.
  10. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
  11. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Wow! Those look like a New Year’s Eve party.

Fred_G, Babboonbobo and John Blazy like this.
  12. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    John, you continue to impress!

13. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    John Blazy likes this.
  14. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
    Thanks, Derek! I was planning to save this stuff til I was more well known, but Chris had to show me pics of the gold 1911 you are working on for him. Kindof caused premature ej . . . nevermind.

DPGI likes this.
  15. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
    Thank you for the complements! I am working on about dozen sets in the Titanium Burl along with my other Burls and carbon fiber for Shot Show, so they will be available after the new year - see Guncrafters site for availability.

It will be priced a tad higher than my CCF, because the raw dichroic film I use to make this is over $30.00 per sq ft, then it shrinks to half its size after I pattern it to bring out the colors, so now its $60.00 psf just for the raw cost of the dichroic optical core. Then it took me four years to figure out how to pattern it to get the colors using my proprietary 60 amp system, in which I have to don full welding gear to make, and takes an hour to pattern 6 sq ft, to get 4 sq ft that looks good, because the rest is destroyed in the process that takes so much concentration, that I lock the doors and shut off my phone to do. So that takes it up to $160.00 per sq ft before I even laminate it.

Then factor in the last three years to test adhesion primers, (which no off-the-shelf products worked), so I had to formulate my own (former chemist - came in handy) in order to get the patterned films to stick to my resin and handle aggressive machining without delamination.

Then its on to my six stage resin casting system, complete with final tempering to harden it, so its nearly at unobtainium price levels to make the raw sheets before I machine and polish grips on my diamond lap to Cabot standards.

My other Dichrolam products are easier to make, but essentially the same process, hence lower cost.
    Sorry to ramble on, got carried away with bad memories of all that goes into this.

kwkid55, Babboonbobo and ronin11 like this.
  16. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Thanks. I’ll check out the GI site.

17. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Give me a shout if you want.

Right now I only have the Red Burls up on the site...

18. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I absolutely love those but can’t justify spending more than half again what I spent on my pistol. Maybe they will come down in price someday.

19. John Blazy

Nov 20, 2018
    I'll be at blade show with some blems for lower cost. Slightly undersized from a CNC guy that messed up a batch. Otherwise they are priced as low as possible due to material, machining costs, and retailing, and I don't cut corners - literally, as I use a diamond lap to shape and polish - no rounded corners. Thanks a ton for your appreciation!

Batty likes this.
  20. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    @John Blazy you should post some here from time to time, I'd probably have a weak moment and buy a set ;)

John Blazy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted