Did everyone know Bill Ruger was for gun control?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Ridge, Feb 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How I have been into guns this long and didn't know this is beyond me. And I bought 4 Rugers last year. Never again, even though the SR1911 was on my 1012 list, unless I see evidence that his heirs are of a different mind.
    From Wikipedia:

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The fact that they make new Hi-Cap 9s an AR-15 and now sell Hi-Cap Mini mags is kind of evidence...

Did you know the old Smith and Wesson owners did the same thing?

3. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Isaw that on Google, but it seemed a little less damning than the B. Ruger stuff. I'll read into it more. And I don't take it as evidence that the folks at Ruger are selling an AR now, they had lots of 15 round pistols when he saddled up to the AWB.

4. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Kinda late to that party.....Just crawl out from under your rock? :lol:

They seem to be much better these days.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    The S&W stuff was unforgivable and they suffered their fate. Bill Ruger is long gone but soured me well enough that I don't own a Ruger aside from a 70's 10/22 my dad gave me. I am sufficiently over my grudge now I guess, but it seems like I still look at Rugers dead last in the guncase.

july19 likes this.
  6. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Feel like I have crawled out from under a rock. When you say they're much better, do you mean they've stated opposition to their founder's helping author and promote the high cap magazine and assault weapon ban -or they're just selling guns? Sorry to be outraged by something you knew about ten years ago, that must seem funny. But I am PISSED! When interviewed by Tom Brokaw, he said the following:

and

and even

7. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    As far as I know they never disavowed Bill's position but he did give a million dollars or so the the NRA at death...to start a museum exhibit in his own name... Bill never publicly apologized as far as I have ever been able to find.

8. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel the same way about Ruger firearms. It was unforgivable what Bill did.
    Even though he is gone now, I can't warm up to any of their products.

9. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Eh, he's been dead a long time, the company seems to be heading in the right direction now.

10. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I just don't know what you base that on. They sold 15 and 17 rounders when he supported the ban. Ruger makes two great lines of rimfires, but I will never buy another one. There are too many other gun manufacturers out there to give Ruger another dime of mine. And I have quite a few Rugers.

11. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Bill is one of the major reasons why all those low priced SKS & AK rifles died off in the early 1990's.... he didn't like having to compete.

As for the currect company... I wouldnt hold them accountable for what their dead founder did years ago.... they are making products for the american shooter, in america.... nothing wrong with that.

12. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I'd just feel better if they made some sort of statement to the contrary of that founder's position. If I feel there's even a chance I'm putting my gun money into a pro AWB company, I'll try to spend my money elsewhere. Those quotes of his are straight out of Bloomberg's textbook.

13. New1911guy

New1911guy New Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He's dead, I'm not. I like Rugers and could care less about a dead man's politics.

14. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    You need a different drum.

The Ruger family divested themselves of the company after Bill Sr. passed.

15. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The fact that Bill Sr. admitted his error and donated a million bucks to the NRA holds no sway?

Bill was trying (in a misguided way (see above)) to prevent a ban on any semi-autos by suggesting instead a limit on magazine capacity. The demoncraps in control of congress (along with Clinton and Gore) simply added the mag restriction on to their AW bill and passed it with Gore casting the deciding vote in the Senate.

You really should do a bit more research (not wiki-bs) before getting your blood pressure up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  17. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Admitted his error? Please cite that. Here are some of my sources, not just Wiki, unless that was sarcasm.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html
    http://www.scfirearms.org/2ndamend/ruger.txt
    http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ruger/15693-did-ruger-more-than-support-awb-2.html (1st post rehashes the Bill Knox essay)

And frankly, it's you that needs a different drum. If you want to get smarmy with someone who doesn't support a gun company whose founder co-authored the AWB, I think that's a far sadder endeavor.

18. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    + 1
    :thumb:

The rest of his family knows what American gun owners want,and are willing to provide the product.

The old man died and his B.S pandering went with him.

If you keep holding a grudge,it hurts only YOU. Move on. :rolleyes2:

DAT85

19. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

Very well stated Dat'

20. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not holding a grudge, I learned something, and have decided to buy no more Ruger products. I take Bill Ruger's words very seriously and I view him as a traitor to American freedom, nothing less. I'm surprised so many are passe about that, but I'm not telling you what drum to beat. Read just one of the links I posted. If you feel the same way, so be it.
    Here is one of my favorite .22 pistols:
    [​IMG]
    I have three Ruger Mark series pistols and two Ruger rifles, and I like them all. I won't buy another Ruger, however. There are a lot of fine manufacturers of firearms to choose from.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted