Difficult case

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TexasBB, Mar 6, 2019.

1. TexasBB

TexasBB Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 23, 2014
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Is it though? Is one of the cardinal rules of firearm safety identification of your target?

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    This is the only reason I keep a DA/SA gun for home protection. I'm always amazed when somebody talks about trigger work on a HD gun. I want to make sure that first trigger pull is deliberate and not an AD.

Busa Dave and xTeleDude like this.
  4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Not sure this matters at all in this case. Did I miss where it said he had a light trigger on the gun or that it was even a pistol vs revolver? Or are you making an assumption.
    First- there's not real context to it. Was the LEO inside the house? On the lawn? Coming up the stairs out front? Etc... That alone should really drive the narrative.
    Second- did he identify himself?
    Third- How long after the alarm went off did the LEO show up?
    There is nothing to go by on this article other than the horrible ending of a LEO losing his life and a homeowner got arrested.
    If the LEO was shot on the front lawn, this guy is going to jail. If the LEO was shot in the house, failed to identify himself as LEO, there's a good chance nothing will come of it.

Harleyvato, TexasBB and Slapshot like this.
  5. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    I would not jump to any conclusion as not enough information is revealed. It is a sad situation all around...

Slapshot likes this.
  6. Larry Baldwin

Larry Baldwin Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
  7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    OK maybe not my best post and it was more general than specific to this case. I just envision being in my house with the alarm going off running into someone who’s not supposed to be there. Just my opinion but that’s not really where I want a light trigger pull. Carry on.

8. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    If YOU don't know the percentage, why are YOU throwing out a WaPo or Bloomberg or CNN or NY Times or Pelosi or Finesteen style pulled out of the a$$ statement and noting that YOU have no idea if your statement is even close to being true. Puhleeese!

ZoidMeister and ORShooter like this.
  9. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Since Texas is a Castle doctrine state, and most home invasions (invaders) can easily say they are the police (not to mention have fake or stolen PD uniforms), the defendant will have an attorney who will say as much.

Having said that, yes he (the homeowner) was arrested, and charged. I do not foresee an indictment for the homeowner, because of what i said above.

Regardless the actual outcome, its a sad loss of life and a person has to live with the knowledge they killed a police officer who was acting in the line of duty investigating a home alarm.

We can quarterback this thing all day long, but imagine waking up to an alarm going off in your home in the middle of the night. You are dazed/confused, and scrambling to get your bearings. You adrenaline's flowing and your mind is racing. Then you here someone saying there are the police...do you take them at their word or do you shoot (assuming you are armed).

Tough for me to say. I would like to think I would do my best to verify the voice (as best as I can)...but who knows in this day and age.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Harleyvato, Slapshot and ChuckC like this.
  10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    No
    Your statement reeks of Brady Campaign propaganda.

ZoidMeister, ORShooter and Harleyvato like this.
  11. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    RIP

police-officer-nathan-h-heidelberg.jpg

Nathan Hayden Heidelberg
    Police Officer Nathan Heidelberg was shot and killed while responding a burglary alarm at a residence at 3306 Eagle Cove in Midland.

Officer Heidelberg, a probationary officer he was training, and two other officers had responded to the alarm call at 2:30 am. They were at the open front door making loud announcements identifying themselves when the homeowner opened fire toward the flashlight Officer Heidelberg was holding. Officer Heidelberg was struck by a round above his vest.

He was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds at 8:30 am.

The homeowner who shot him was arrested and charged with manslaughter.

Officer Heidelberg had served with the Midland Police Department for five years.

12. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Please, let's give it a rest. We don't know nothing other than a good guy got killed. Show some respect, not your ignorance.

13. TexasBB

TexasBB Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 23, 2014
    The procession taking the officer went through my town. I saw it and wondered what it was at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImperialBlade likes this.
  14. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    You might take your own suggestion and lighten up, particularly when you clearly don't have possession of all the facts. It's a tragedy for everyone involved and that's all we need to note.

15. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    This, you make a blanketed statement with no proof and even admit you don't know the percentages!
    I won't apologize for this. This statement is just ignorant when you know nothing of this member!

16. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    FullySupported, rationalizations only make things worse. Stop digging already.

ORShooter likes this.
  17. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I think the correct term is negligent discharge since this guy will be going to prison for a long time as he should!

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET DO NOT SHOOT. He pulled the trigger and needs to be held responsible in the criminal and civil courts which I am sure he will. One thing is for sure the trigger puller will be sued for his last clean pair of underwear. :) No Quarter Given Period. Know your target.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Slapshot and ChuckC like this.
  18. Larry Baldwin

Larry Baldwin Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckC likes this.
  19. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Will be watching this story here locally. The Fort Worth ME is doing the autopsy has been on the news already.
    So So Sad.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted