close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dillon Accessories and Add-Ons

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by jst1tym, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    What additional accessories did or do you have with your Dillon setup? Here's a few I added to the Dillon 550b...

-D-Terminator Digital Scale
    -Redding Competition Bullet Seating Die
    -Lee Factory Crimp Die
    -Arredondo Powder Drop Slide w/ UniqueTek Micrometer Installed
    -Toolhead Clamp Kit
    -Turbo Bearing for Shellplate
    -Powder Check System
    -Xtra Toolhead and Stand
    -LED Flashlight that mounts in the center of the shellplate for better lighting

All these add-ons really make the reloading task easier and precise. I've accumulated these accessories over time based on need and making the job more pleasurable. All these add-ons work very well so far and do not seem too gimicky...

I currently need a caliber conversion kit for the .45 and find some great recipies to start off using the powders I currently have here!

2. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Interesting!
    What benefits do you like about the Redding die ?

3. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Jess, I'm certainly not as experienced with pistols, or for that matter probably reloading also as yourself. So here's my take. I found that after swapping out the stock Dillon bullet seating die with the Redding, my bullet seating was a lot more precise over a longer period of time. I was measuring OAL's every 5th round for awhile, then went to 15 and the OAL's were very consistant. What I did like was that if I needed to change powder chg's to go with another type/weight bullet, if the combination prooved useable, I logged it in my record book, along with the Redding setting on the die, and if I moved on from there and in the future wanted to go back to that load. There isn't any kind of depth change on the shellplate for the bullet seating die, you just redial that setting that you recorded in the book and away you go! Saves a little time just dialing in different settings, and the die is pretty consistant bullet seating.

Most all of my add-ons and/or accessories were mainly purchased to try based on forum opinions when I first purchased my Dillon. So I was really burning thru $$'s on these gizmos. Thing is, most of them work pretty good, so the opinions and advice panned out for me in the long run. As well, none of these gizmos are really needed, the Dillon works just fine as it is. I just like to tinker and tweak. It's the kid in me still I guess!

wcanterbury likes this.
  4. PWS

PWS Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2016
    I posted this in another thread, and it was suggested that I might best start another thread...however, this looks like the information that I need...hope I'm not stepping on any toes....here's my previous post....'I'm new to reloading and am in the process of ordering a Dillon 1050..... I originally asked them to give me a quote for all the options in their "fully loaded" picture on their site....but not really knowing what I am doing, I'd really like to get any suggestions for options really needed and those not needed.....I'm hoping to load 9mm and .45 and have the Quick Change caliber conversion kits, dies, and casefeed plates on my list.....I know I'll need a bunch of ancillary stuff, like a powder scale, calipers, covers, and equipment to clean the brass.....how about the electric primer filler and bullet tray?.... I'd like to get a fairly complete basic machine up front so I'm not calling for this and that thingie every coupla days as I try to figure out how to do this.... I have enough money saved up to get a good start on this, so any suggestions from folks that have experience reloading with Dillon equipment would be appreciated.....thanks!'....same request....I've read what you've written above....should i just replicate what you've come up with or start with the basic Dillon and go from there?

5. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 NRA-Life Member Anti-Libtard...

Apr 1, 2013
    As stated In my thread... Start a new thread bro. It's really not a big deal but this is of topic to what the op here is asking.

When you do, I'll be sure to reply and help you out

6. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Just, I think your add on list for your 550 is pretty spot on! Obviously it looks like you have picked up some solid stuff from Uniquetek:)

I have a very similar set up, but added a Roller Handle and Bullet tray... I would also say to order the powder baffle from Uniquetek... It makes a large difference IMO.

7. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    I set up my 650 about a year and a half ago. It has worked great and I have had no complaints, but I recently did some upgrades to it. First, the UniqueTek Micrometer handle is awesome, especially if you take the time to do the measuring and complete the spreadsheet for each powder you use. I love that benefit! I also went with the Balistool shell plate bearing and detent ball. These really seem to settle the shell plate down in terms of rotation. Mine would snap in place before and now it kinda settles into place. A worthwhile change to me. I used to use the LED flashlight from UniqueTek for the toolhead but had a hard time remembering to turn it off, thus killing the batteries. I recently changed from the Dillon Strongmount to an Inline Fabrication Ultramount, which fits me better. I also got their LED light system for the press. It's awesome! Dan and the guys at Inline do a great job! Check them out! Their light system is 110 volt and crazy bright, so no more leaving it on or dead batteries. I also replaced the handle on my 650 with the Inline ERGO style lever. It made a difference to my shoulder for sure! Lastly, I went with the CNC machined tool heads that bolt in place. Unsure if this yields a measurable difference yet, as I shimmed my stock tool heads to prevent movement. Let us know how your press improves with the changes you make!

8. Dons1911

Nov 6, 2014
    +1 on the powder baffle. I added that and saw a nice change in powder throw consistency!

cundiff5535 likes this.
  9. B_RAD

B_RAD You serious, Clark?

Jan 15, 2012
    Dang!

You might as well be speaking another language.

I'm considering replacing my 550B (that I haven't used in about 6 yrs ) with a 650.

All these options are completely foreign to me!

It seems like these damnn things are like anything else. Stock is ok but you get better results with after market stuff like mount, took head, powder measures, etc...

wcanterbury likes this.
  10. Dons1911

Nov 6, 2014
    Well put B_RAD, but I am learning a ton and almost enjoy it as much as my 1911's! I also found that the cost savings really isn't there for me, but the accuracy you can achieve over factory rounds is really amazing to me!

11. B_RAD

B_RAD You serious, Clark?

Jan 15, 2012
    Gotta load a lot of ammo to offset that $1500+ start up cost!

But as you said, customizable ammo is the goal!

12. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    The thing that pushed me over the top when I decided to jump back into reloading was one range trip...

range fee:$20
    2 boxes 45acp: $65
    2 boxes 9mm: $40

Literally was 1/3 of the way to dealer price on a 550... Lol

wcanterbury likes this.
  13. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe New Member

Apr 5, 2016
    I setup a new 650 about a year ago and the only thing I added was an RCBS Lockout die. My son and I shoot NRA conventional pistol so we go through a ton of ammo. The stock Dillon has been Rock solid. I check the bullet dimensions and powder charges pretty regularly and they are always dead nuts. But...I can see the advantages of the add-on products and it's always fun to customize (like 1911's)

14. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Skylight LED shellplate light Dillon 550B. Night and day difference! No other mods, no issues.

15. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Now that I'm loading 38 Super and 10mm, My latest RL550b add-On...
    Was a second RL550b. One setup in each large and small primer
    size...

[​IMG]

wcanterbury likes this.
  16. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Going into manufacturing are we? You scare me because we think alike! :D

17. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    For 30 years my old 550 has primarily been used for 45acp, 44mag, and .308 win, with occasional runs of .357 mag .223 Rem.
    But my current obsession with 10mm and 38 super had me switching primer setups too often...:bang::bang::bang:
    I thought to myself, I have all the die blocks already set up.
    Sooooooo...I fixed it!:cool2::cool2:

wcanterbury likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted