1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently loading all my 45 on a 650, which I like, but I don’t have a case feeder for it, and all my low volume stuff on a rock chucker. I have been eyeing the new RL1100 to leave dedicated to 9. Does anyone have one yet? Thoughts? I could go with another 650 with casefeeder, but I like several features on the 1100 and wondering if it’s worth the extra investment. I’m a higher volume shooter and looking for opinions and experience with the 1100 if anyone has it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've used one, it's a fantastic reloader, the de-crimp feature is fantastic. It is however $2000+, and only comes with a 2 year warranty. Caliber changes are very expensive , but if it's dedicated to one caliber it's a moot point. I have 2 XL650 and I love them both, the new XL750 seems to have a few upgrades over the 650.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I started with a Square Deal B then went to a 650 and then a 1050. The 1050 / 1100 are way better than the 650. The press has a lot more leverage, primes on the downstroke, and swages the primer pockets. This really speeds up your loading volume. Since your blowing a bunch of cash already you might as well get the Mr. Bulletfeeder. Caliber changes on the machine are expensive, because of the cost of the tool head, but not too hard. Anyway you need to clean and lube the machine every 10k rounds so that’s a good time for caliber changes. Even if you didn’t shoot a high volume of ammo you could load like 300 to 400 rounds in 15 minutes. Time is money.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,482 Posts
I think Ive run the gambit with Dillon stuff! Ive had 450's, 550's, 650's and 1050's.

Currently I am running 2 1050's.... 1 Super 1050 Set for large primer and 1 RL1050 with ammo bot set for small primer. IMO I cant see what the major difference is in the 1050 and 1100. With that said, I really do love the set up I have, but its def over kill.

If I am being totally honest, I think the 650/750 set up properly is the best machine for the average user/casual reloader. For what I have invested in my set up, I could have bought so much factory ammo that I likely wouldnt ever need to think about it.... and still could have bought a 650/750 set up on the cailbers I need.

If I were you, I would buy a case feeder for the 650 you have and roll!! If you decide to get the 1100, still get the case feeder. A 650 with no case feeder makes no sense to me... esp because they are only a few hundred dollars.

The real question should be how much do you shoot...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have 2 650’s with casefeeders, I’ve a buddy at the range who got into reloading about 6 months ago & went with 2 1050’s.

Everyone is different but he seems to have lots of issues with getting his ammo correct, primer depth, seating, etc.

Me, with pistol ammo, I’ve had zero issues on either 650. I crank out 4-5,000 rounds a month and they just run.

I’m taking the quarantine time to change over the dedicated spp 650 to small rifle 556 - it’s been a bumpy ride to be honest but it’s my first time with rifle loading, have it 95% dialed in.

Personally unless someone just has a ton of $$ for discretionary spending or one is shooting a super high volume I think the 650/750 is really hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the replies. I, too, love my 650. I agree with the post about needing a casefeeder for it, and that is on my planned purchase list.

I shoot between 35k and 50k annually, but that’s between 9, 45 and .223. Id say a little more than half of that is hand loads.

My thoughts on the RL1100 vs another 650/750 are both speed and ease of use. When I break Down the math, a similarly equipped 750 would be about 1300 or so, making it about 700 cheaper than a new RL1100. I was hoping to find a deal on a used 1050, but with all this panic buying I doubt anyone will be selling them soon.

thanks again for the replies.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
If you don’t mind spending the money you should just start where you are going to wind up. With your volume there is no question that you should try a 1050.

When you compare dollars and options it is a few hundred dollars between both presses. The capability on the 1050/1100 is a lot more volume, especially with the bullet feeder, and that is where the value for your money is. Unfortunately the used market is pretty strong so you’re not going to save a lot unless you get lucky. Remember these presses are machines and do wear. Also a lot get run on an auto drives so you have to make sure that your not buying one that has 250k cycles on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's an example of what I've been going through waiting on my RL1100:
FWIW:
Talked to "supposedly" someone higher up in Customer sales, and he's saying delays in manufacturing, supply, heat treat, etc have all played a part in delays; however, the primary problem is the enormous amount of back orders they have for the RL1100; and they can only build so many in a day........he also mentioned the CP2000 WAS NOT available and was on back order!
My order placed January, 27th is about #16 in line; and will be approximately another 4-6 weeks before it's ready to ship.
He also stated they went through the same delays when the Super 1050 was released............
SMH..............
My last post in a thread at Enos' Forum since I've been on there a LONG time......

After many, many k's loaded on two different XL650s over a 40 year period, I'm now retired and want to experience the Super 1050/RL1100 process. I really like the additional features plus want to try the priming on the down stroke.

Noting wrong with the quality of ammo that's produced on the XL650s, I'm simply set on going the RL1100 route..............or, since my patience has run so thin during this wait, I've also seriously considered the Mark7 Evolution. What an awesome machine....but all that CNC precision would cost me an extra grand and at this time, I'm just not swayed enough to make the plunge. With Lyman as the parent company, hopefully the costs will come down in time.

In all honesty, I'm not really sold on the XL750 being a huge improvement over the XL650! Once I put my XL650 up for sale on the Facebook Dillon Reloader's page, it sold in a few hours. Also seems to be a big demand for used XL650s in good condition.

Kimball Bowden at Bobcat Armament is a great guy to deal with......anyone considering a used Super 1050 or older RL1000, make sure you inquire as to whether it was used as a commercial machine or not......they do wear out, and don't have the luxury of the lifetime warranty like the other machines.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
Wow sorry it’s such a pain to get a new press. It will be worth the wait. I have a Mark7 autodrive on one of my 1050s and was thinking about a Mark 7 press but the Dillon customer service keeps coming through for me. I bought a used RF100 that was a first generation pos that was represented as a current model. The guy at Dillon told me to bring it by and they would see what they could do. Two weeks later they turned my pos into the current model for no charge.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I believe that is right........with regards to the XL650 vs S1050/RL1100, the later uses a different die but same measure.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
Yes they all use the same I one but the 1050/1100 use a different powder funnel. All of the other presses expand the case mouth at the powder station. The 1050/1100 expand the case mouth at the swage station.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts