close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dirty Girl Kimberly update

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by deadguy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    For those that don't know, I purchased a Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm a few weeks ago. My plan for this gun is to keep running it dirty until I absolutely have to clean it. I have always been skeptical of Kimbers, and only got this one because I wanted a FS 10mm 1911, and it was available.

10 days ago I took her out for the first time and ran 250 rounds of Atlanta Arms FMJ ammo and 50 rounds of Double Tap through her. Had 3 FTFs out of the same mag, the Kimber 10mm mag that came with it. Used 2 Dan Wesson 45acp mags that day and they functioned without issue.

Here's the gun new and unfired.
    [​IMG]

I did not clean the gun with the exception of wiping down the exterior.

Fast forward to today. Took 150 rounds of 180 grain Atlanta Arms FMJ ammo and 100 rounds of PRVI 180 grain JHPs with me. Both rated at only 1000fps. Good range ammo velocity IMO.

Today's results. 4 FTF's with the AA ammo. Bullet nosed into chamber and needed help getting the last bit in there by nudging the slide forward from behind. Thankfully, I had my Wilson calibration set with me (different recoil springs) and decided to switch out the stock 18.5# spring with a 20# spring. By the way, this thing was slinging spent brass all over the indoor range. My guess based on how hard it was hitting me AFTER it bounced off the partition between stations would put it around 10-15 feet if I were in the open. Changed out the spring and had no other FTFs with AA. Brass still smacking me pretty good on the rebound.

Finished the AA and loaded all 6 mags (today brought 4 more 45acp mags along with me) with PRVI JHP's. Target was still out somewhere between 18-23 yards in my estimation. I had been shooting with both eyes open and decided I would try my first 5 shots of the new ammo at the same distance with both eyes open. Here's the result.

[​IMG]

POA was with the sights lined up square at 6 o'clock. Accuracy was good with the AA but improved a bit with the PRVI. No malfunctions with this ammo.

Wiped her down and put her away.

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Nice. Buds has another one on sell.

3. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    It's gone already.

4. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    My apologies. My first range session only consumed 200 AA FMJs, not 250. Total of 500 rounds. Sorry.

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Awesome, see how long it will run! I ran my EMP for 1,100 rounds before I decided to clean it. I'm 100% confident it won't malfunction.

6. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    That's the plan. Hotter ammo will be used soon as well.

7. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    deadguy, I've not ever fired a 10mm to date. How's ammo prices? Judging from what I gather the 10mm is a powerful round, the only round that I could think of that may have a similar kick/recoil that I have fired was my Mod 29, .44mag. Is that a fair comparison? I've given consideration to a 10mm in the past but had been told the ammo was expensive..

8. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    The practice ammo I mentioned is $.38 round. The SD loads are closer to $.80-$1.00 per round depending on who makes it.

I have an 8-3/8" S&W 629 and the 10mm loads I have fired don't come close to the recoil from the hogleg. I have yet to fire my Swamp Fox 200grain XTPs at 1350fps but I imagine they won't approach the 44mag either.

9. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Sorry forgot to mention it is in the used guns section

10. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Doing the same with my new 9mm Stainless II Kimber, it is up to 250 total round without a hitch, never used the mag it came with.

11. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a new Kimber. Here's my new Pro carry TLE. A month old, 600 rounds and no issues. I've been using Wilson mags and Federal 230gr FMJ ammo. I bought it because it's an all steel gun.

claire

12. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Took it back out again today. 200 rounds of Atlanta Arms FMJ. No mechanical or accuracy issues. 400 rounds of PRVI JHP. No mechanical or accuracy issues. 17 rounds of SwampFox Ammo 200 grain XTP JHP at 1350 fps. No issues except for an extremely hot frame, slide and trigger guard, and the biggest grin I've ever had from shooting a bullet.

I only shot 17 because the muzzle was too hot to remove the bushing and replace the recoil spring with a 22#er. I didn't want to risk damaging the slide stop pin or anything else from the violent recoil. The 20# worked fine through 2 mags.

She's still dirty. No cleaning. Running better with each mag fired. I'm starting to like this gun.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Need more pics of that "Dirty Girl"

14. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks good Claire! The wood grips look good too. What did you pay if you don't mind?

15. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    It's in the works. I wiped the outside down to keep from dirtying my bag. Inside is nassy!!

16. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I bought it used from an old guy(in his 70s) that shoots at the same range as me. I paid $500 and it came with 100 rounds of Golden Saber 185gr hollow points. He told me it only had 200 rounds through it. He wanted to get rid of it because he thought it was too heavy. It's a 4" all steel and he decided he wanted an alloy gun for carry.

It's my second kimber, and I know all of the Kimber hate, but for the price and the fact that it was all steel, I thought I would get it. I'm now up to 750 rounds and will make the recoil spring change at 800+ like our friends at Kimber suggest. Last time at the range, I shot 24 rounds og the Golden Sabres with no probs.

I like the gun and dont find it anywhere as snappy as the SA Champion Operator that I had, which was an alloy frame. It's the first time I ever have been offered a "deal". I'm glad it happened to me :)

claire

17. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Good deal Claire. There is nothing wrong with kimber, they are a good gun.

Mike

18. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have shot my brother's 10MM Kimber several times . It is a bit more accurate than my Delta and just as reliable.
    I like your 1911 Claire.

19. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
  20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Love the 10mm,..........

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted