Dan Wesson Disappointing day at the range with new to me ECO

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Teufelhunde, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Teufelhunde

Teufelhunde Active Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Well, took the new to me DW ECO to the range today.......not good.....

First, the good.....the trigger.....SUUUWWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!! I had previously measured it on my lyman digital guage and it showed a break right at 3lbs. It is smooth as butter, and it surprises you every time it goes bang. Triggers just don't get any better.

The not so goods:

1) The grips.....the ECO has slim grips on it, and I just didn't feel like I had a firm grip on it. I could really feel the difference between it and my Kimber Ultra CDP. Next time out, I will swap the grips and see if the problem moves. This is in NO WAY a fault of DW, it's just a personal preference thing....

2) The sights.....I really don't like the sight set up on this gun and the white ring around the vial on the front sight is miniscule. Maybe young perfect eyes could see it, but not me. If I get the really bad below fixed, I will likely change the sights....Once again, no fault of DW, just a personal preference thing.

The really sucks:

Right off the bat failure to feed with ball ammo or hollow points. Different magazines from three different manufacturers, Kimber, DW, and Chip McCormick. The Kimbers and the DW's appear to be identical and made by Checkmate. With it doing it with ball ammo AND hollowpoints and three different makers magazines, I feel safe saying it is NOT ammo and NOT magazines. I did find that if I loaded the magazines with only 5 rounds, it would function. When it would fail, it would just jamb the round into the frame and hold it there, not allowing the slide to go home. This would happen with either a slingshot release of the slide or by hitting the slide release. I did notice, on the rounds that failed to feed, that at the tip, you could feel a sharp edged rough spot. When I noticed that, I made sure to check the rounds first, and that spot was not there before the FTF, but was there afterward.

Upon close inspection after a through cleaning of both guns, I think I may have found something. With the gun assembled slide locked to the rear, which has the barrel in its rearward, lowered position, the feed ramp on the kimber is slightly forward of the edge of the frame (I didn't measure it, but it is probabaly less than 1/64", just enough that you can feel it). On the ECO the edge of the frame and the edge of the bottom of the feed ramp make a sharp point, in fact, it feels like the sharp edge at the bottom of the feed ramp is actually ever so slightly rearward of the edge of the frame. When I had it apart cleaning, I could also feel a rough spot on that edge when running a fingernail across the edge.

Additionally, the very bottom of the feed ramp on the Kimber has a change of angle making it closer to 90 degrees for the last 1/32" or so, which accounts for the edge being slightly forward of the frame. It also makes the edge less sharp. The ECO barrel is REALLY sharp at the bottom end of the feedramp. My theory is that it doesn't fit properly at that junction and the nose of the round hits and catches on that sharp edge, whereas the Kimber allows the round to hit the frame and defect upwards without catching on anything, allowing it to feed.

What is really irritating is that the original purchaser blew a little smoke up my butt. I specifically asked about round count and failures and he reported 200 rounds and zero failures. As the original purchaser, he could have gotten it warranteed, but I really doubt that DW will extend that to me, as their website CLEARLY states that original purchaser ONLY is covered by warranty.....

Suggestions????

Thanks

Lon

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Call DW, they will take care of you. Just don’t keep repeatedly saying you are the second owner.

Also, if bullet touches the bottom of the ramp on a ramped barrel, you have a HUGE nosedive issue on that pistol. Did the round get stuck bullet up or bullet down?

Teufelhunde likes this.

3. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    It was nose diving for sure, the tip of the rounds were right on the joint where the frame and ramp of the barrel meet.

Might that be why it seemed to work with only five rounds or fewer? It would seem that less spring pressure make for less friction between the case and the lips of the magazine and therefore not as severe of a nosedive?

I'm just guessing here.......

Lon

4. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Nosedive is one thing I never had to correct, so cannot be much help here. But it sounds like something that would happen from fast/strong slide “push” and not enough support from the magazine to push the round “up”.

Does the magazine have a lot of up/down play? Will it nosedive if you fully load the magazine and hold the magazine up when releasing the slide?

DanMcinPA and Teufelhunde like this.
  5. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    I can't really see it being a magazine issue. Six magazines from three different makers, all six of which work flawlessly in my Ultra CDP.....but I have been wrong once or twice in my life...I suppose that could happen again :)

6. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Not saying it’s a magazine issue, but could be magazine catch issue - it may be holding the magazine just a tad lower than it needs to for it to feed reliably. Either case, I think DW customer service will fix it up.

Teufelhunde likes this.
  7. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    Gotcha, so many things at play here, many of which I know nothing about....
    Lon

8. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
  9. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
  10. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Not sure if that is of any help or not, to compare yours?

Teufelhunde likes this.
  11. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    I have had zero failures with mine

Teufelhunde likes this.
  12. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    And I can see in that picture that the bottom edge of the feedramp sits ever so slightly forward of the edge of the frame. Here's mine View attachment 203761

Lon

13. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Hmmm, mine is definitely forward a little bit from yours.

Keep in mind that I am NO Expert, just offering what I could :)

Teufelhunde likes this.
  14. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    I posted mine. I can see a difference it seems. When I stick my pinky in there and feel it on mine, I can feel the sharp edge at the rear bottom of the feedramp. It is very sharp too, unlike my Kimber which is not sharp....

15. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Teufelhunde likes this.
  16. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Maybe it's off topic but why are shooting hollow points on your first range session with a new gun.

I've had about 50 new guns, always the same procedure, disassemble, inspect, lube generously, shoot with high quality FMJ like American Eagle, 124's or 147's not 115's and run a minimum 500 rounds through before using self defense loads and clean, inspect, and re-lube at 250 rounds.

If the magazines are new, load them and have them sit for several days, the longer the better.

Good luck ;)

Just Terry and Teufelhunde like this.
  17. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    3 Dan Wessons - 2 are Checkmate, the other 2 are unmarked but came with my brand new Valkyrie CCO
    6 Ed Browns

Teufelhunde likes this.
  18. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    As for ammo that I've shot through it:

FMJ
    Magtech 115
    S&B 124
    Armscor 115
    Blazer Brass 115

JHP
    HST 147
    Ranger T 147

Teufelhunde likes this.
  19. Teufelhunde

Jan 9, 2019
    This is a new to me, not new, gun. I had the Hollow points to run through the Kimber, but when I had issues with the ECO, decided to try them to see if there was any difference.....

Magazines are not new and mine is a .45 (guess I should have said that, huh?)

Lon

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted