Disco Rail...Your comments please

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by walleyemonster, Feb 13, 2019.

1. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    001.JPG I bought this Ruger last month, and am not happy with this radius cut on the disco rail. My friend recently purchased a high end Rock Island that has the same cut. Would like to hear your thoughts on this, as it is far from what I would expect.

Mike A likes this.
  2. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    You have a 9mm there, correct? 9mm ejectors reach further inboard due to the reduced diameter of the round. Therefore, the cut in the slide has to be bigger. This removes more of the rail sometimes leading to only a thin bit of material being left of the ejector side of the disconnector relief cut. I would much rather have no material there than some of the very thin ones I have seen. I wouldn't worry.

rmac, Karl Beining, dash and 5 others like this.

3. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thanks Rob! I understand that it won't affect function. It is the fact that I have never seen one cut this way.

4. G. Freeman

G. Freeman New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Very interesting way to deal with the issue. Yes it doesn't really affect function. For the 9mm or commander, that area is usually very thin, so the manufacturer just decided to machine the whole side away. As long as the thicker side stays the same, you should be okay.

5. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Disco Stu likes Disco Rails...

Never heard of a disco rail before. Can someone clue me in as to what its referring to?

6. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    "Disco" is a shortened word for disconnector.

7. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    haaaaaaaa.... that would make sense. thought it might have been referring to the dots on the interior of the slide :bag:

8. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Sometimes it becomes so thin that it gets deformed by the hammer as the slide goes to the rear. I have seen some Baers and Caspian slides that have been as thin as .010" or maybe less. If it's really thin, I would just as soon see it gone. It can get bent toward the ejector and start to rub.

9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    My S80 Colt has a very narrow rail on the firing pin obstruction side.
    It was getting kind of wallowed out, a smoothed hammer and softer mainspring seem to have arrested the wear.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted