Disconnector Question

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Sneaky One, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Pardon my ignorance. Had a nice long range session this morning. When I field stripped, cleaned and lubed one of my 1911's I noticed when I put a drop of oil on the disconnector and pushed it down with my finger, it stayed down . Messed with it a bit and it popped up. Did this several times and it would stay down and pop up with a little manipulation. Put a few more drops of oil and I believe it is freely moving now ? Is this an indication that is just needed lubrication, or is it telling me something. I clean my guns every 300-400 rounds and always put a drop of oil on it. Possibly forgot last time ? Thoughts ?

2. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I had a similar issue with a S&W 3913. There was cosmoline builtup, that gathered dirt causing it to bind. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, and was good to go. Also, check the disconnect spring .

BenchMonkey likes this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Dirt or carbon build up, small burr in disco hole, or on disco head. Wouldn't hurt to check both of those possible issues. But, more than likely oil mixing with carbon residue and gumming up a bit. Warm when shooting, then cools and solidifies, deposits warms again, cools down more build up lol.. And so it goes.. ;)

4. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Sounds like it may need more of an in-depth cleaning than just a field strip cleaning. Time to clean out all those pathways, passages and maybe do a disconnect/sear spring contact surface polishing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted