DIY Modification to Bone Grips a Good Idea?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by zChambers, Apr 26, 2019.

1. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Apologies up front for the stream of consciousness thread. Trying to think through tacking problems I may encounter when dealing with bone grips.

So I got over my apprehension over buying and maintaining a set of bone grips and picked up a set of giraffe bone from nutmeg sports. The intention is to use them on an heirloom/presentation 1911 build that I'm currently collection parts for.

At worst, I might have to modify the grips slightly to fit flush with the bottom of the fame/magwell, and maybe alter the radius around the mag release.

I've messed with G10 with decent results, but have ever worked with bone before. Seems like bone would be more brittle so in the event that I have make small modifications, is it something I can do myself or is it better to leave it to someone with more experience?

I've seen some pictures of wood grips (Challis maybe?) that appear to have a thin rubber or polymer backing. Am I seeing things correctly? Could adding this kind of backing help to extend the life of the grips or prevent cracking? Would adding a backing make soaking the bone in oil more problematic?

I'm also considering having medallions added. When soaking the grips in oil during maintenance, will having medallions cause any issues?

2. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Crazy stuff perhaps?
    I think I've heard of bacterial hazards in working with bone.
    Virii and things a lurking, looking for some nice pink human lungs to live in.

In the case of ancient relics, like mastodon penis, we modern homo sapiens may have zero immunological defense.
    Wear a mask, clean up carefully.
    Do Not make a tea with the leftover dust.

dash, FWoo45, Journeyman1234 and 6 others like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Are you into the scotch already ??

wrmiller and WC145 like this.
  4. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Bone is HARD, use a hand file, I coat mine in TRU oil, use Challis bushings and O rings......good to go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FWoo45, Journeyman1234 and WC145 like this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Also be prepared for the "olfactory experience" that working with bone also affords.

The aromatic aura is akin to sitting in a dental chair getting multiple root canals done, only on steroids . . . . .

FWoo45 and DukeSoprano like this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Fritos! :eek:

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    More of a cross between burning hair and rotting flesh . . . . . . .

FWoo45 and TheCollector like this.
  8. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. Sill interested to hear if there is a company doing backings, and if there are and vantages or disadvantaged to it?

The viral thing makes sense and seeing the picture of the dogs with the bone reminded me that the reason the wife and I don’t normally give our dogs bones is because of the smell.

I might end up picking up a dried bone to file on or mess with to get an idea of how the material reacts to files and polishing

9. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    pics of the grips, plus a bump to see if anybody else has input.

boneGrips1911.jpg

10. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    I'd say they look pretty dang good to me!

Well done.

11. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    This is how they came. Haven't started to chop them up yet. ;)

12. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Oh...I thought you made those from blanks...:facepalm:

13. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Not what I experienced in the dentist chair, but that was tooth not old bones! LMAO :grin:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted