1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, got a head scratcher here. I’m getting ready to ship my Python (2020 model) off to Steve O for DLC. The revolver comes nicely finished from Colt but I polished it a bit more with Mother’s. Every part of the frame, cylinder, barrel, etc I can easily get a mirrored shine. The removable side plate (first pic) always looks hazy. It almost appears as if there is a protective sticker or film on it, but there’s not, it will not will not polish like the rest of the pistol. I would only want dlc if it is shiny and uniform. Will this area (the plate near the cylinder latch) look very different with a DLC application? @Integrity Arms

Side plate, you can see where the finish is hazy. Only in this area within the side plate seems. Plate starts above cylinder latch and ends near the side plate screw.
CDC26C10-802F-4C9F-A09D-8B34CE43620D.jpeg

Rest of pistol that takes a mirror shine with ease, other area with no removable side plate you can clearly see my phone reflection.

FE46BDCA-F232-46D8-894C-7F4AF49122D3.jpeg

78BC30CF-270F-412A-820A-F17342FA234D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The side plate will come out looking more "matte" if you don't get all the pitting out of the metal.
Thats my fear. The strange thing is, I’ve spent hours in this area. It’s almost like it a different metal or something. Dark black residue appears just like the other areas, but it will not shine.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have a feeling that is not going to come out. Could always do a matte finish like the Korth if all else fails.

Might have to take the side plate off and test on the back side with different grits of sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling that is not going to come out. Could always do a matte finish like the Korth if all else fails.

Might have to take the side plate off and test on the back side with different grits of sandpaper.
I think your right Duke. It’s like the plate is different material, I don’t know to be true, but polishing doesn’t help one bit, even though I know metal is coming off on my cloth.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
I have a 40 year old blue python and blue diamondback . The area on that plate is hazy on both of them and always has been in comparison to the rest of the gun . It is like this on both left and right side plates.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 40 year old blue python and blue diamondback . The area on that plate is hazy on both of them and always has been in comparison to the rest of the gun . It is like this on both left and right side plates.
Thanks B. I think I’ll just leave as is. I don’t want semi gloss finish like Korth does. It has to be all high gloss or nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
If you are sending to Steve O for the DLC, why aren't you asking him? He's the one who does prep work for the results he wants to achieve. He has spent much time with the DLC finishers to better understand the results.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are sending to Steve O for the DLC, why aren't you asking him? He's the one who does prep work for the results he wants to achieve. He has spent much time with the DLC finishers to better understand the results.
I have spoken with about this project, but I also don’t like to pester the man on a Sunday. I know he is sending another project of mine, and others, off to dlc in a week. I thought I’d get this one ready to go and not hold everyone up. I tagged him just in case he logs on, and also maybe others may learn something here.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
I have spoken with about this project, but I also don’t like to pester the man on a Sunday. I know he is sending another project of mine, and others, off to dlc in a week. I thought I’d get this one ready to go and not hold everyone up.
Just tag him.... if he doesn't want to talk to you... you'll know it. :grin::grin::grin:

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,053 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Thanks B. I think I’ll just leave as is. I don’t want semi gloss finish like Korth does. It has to be all high gloss or nothing.
Don’t get me wrong Mtek, it is still high polished blue, it just reflects differently than rounded surfaces. I think it’s just the nature of the beast and you will see a difference in reflectivity no matter what type of polished finish you choose . It’s hard to tell from the pics how far different it would look.

I agree with you though. If going DLC , you want it to shine.

I’d think Steve O @Integrity Arms would be able to make a determination if it will turn out nice . I’ve never seen anything from him looks anything less than delightful.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,734 Posts
I believe this would come out just fine if prepped properly it appears that the surface your talking of was not as prepped as the rest of the areas and the metal may be a tad harder. Has to be sanded more before polished. But a high polished DLC doesn't result in a mirror finish because of the layer of film type finish over the surface.

Sorry everyone since I changed my user name I don't seem to be getting tags. Under either it appears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts