DLC vs DVC finish

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by GrandpoppyJack, Apr 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GrandpoppyJack

GrandpoppyJack Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Just wondering what the difference is between DLC and DVC finish/coating. I’ve seen new Staccato C pistols listed both ways. Should I be looking at one over the other?

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015

3. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I may be wrong but I believe you are referring to the same coating applied by different delivery methods; DVC and PLC refer to two types of delivery.
    I may be wrong.;)

GrandpoppyJack likes this.
  4. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I believe you mean PVD (physical vapor deposition) and DLC (diamond like coating).

GrandpoppyJack, Mini Me and mlea5150 like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Both of these finishes are applied using the same method, if I am understanding correctly. Each place that does these physical vapor deposition finishes have their own name for it. I was told that PVD is a Diamond like Alloy, or DLA and The DLC is a Diamond Like Carbon.. All these abbreviations I believe are just a way for the companies that apply them by the same process to make it their own so to speak.. Each calls it what they will, but the process is the same.. Heat temps are different by 300 degrees for a DLA or PVD finish which is applied at 450 degrees, and the DLC is applied at 750 degrees. this makes PVD possible to do on aluminum as the temperature is such that it won't affect the Aluminum. But, should be done over anodizing. And the Carbon like coating is merely another finish applied by the same physical Vapor Deposition, but varies slightly in chemical make up.. each place that does it has their own name for it, and it may even slightly in color from one applicator to another. Either way both are very good finishes and if my understanding is correct DLC is a bit more durable over all. And when it comes right down to it, I have not seen any real literature that rightly explains the differences in any real detail..

6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is a method of application.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is a coating, Ionbond is the best known supplier to the gun industry but there are others.

7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    That is probably the best definition, in a round about way that is what I was trying to get across, there are several finishes applied through the PVD process, Chromium Nitride, Titanium Nitride, DLC, DLA etc.. nearly all these had their first application in the tooling and or medical equipment technologies before ever becoming a firearm finish.. Night hawk gets a high mark for their DLC coatings which is actually done through Tech Metals. They supply several other major manufacturers as well.

8. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    As far as I know the Staccato was originally produced in Cerakote and now in DLC. STI makes DVC model guns and I believe there may have just been a typo in the listing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

retrieverman and GrandpoppyJack like this.
  9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes, both if done properly are tough as "HE double LL" as my Grandmother used to say! Process is key lots to choose from :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    So just in case the the above replies weren’t clear.

The DVC is a model line with STI, not a coating.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is an amazing finish that is applied by PVD (Physical Vapor Disposition). There are a lot of different PVD coatings out there. Titanium Nitride (TiN) and DLC are the two most common PVD gun coatings. They are applied at a few microns thick and are extremely durable as well as aid in lubricity.

mlea5150, Steve Owens and WC145 like this.
  11. GrandpoppyJack

GrandpoppyJack Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I understand now. DLC = very good :)

WC145 likes this.
  12. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Every gun I’m having built will have DLC or similar PVD coating. It is not necessarily cheap but it is extremely durable.

Steve Owens likes this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    While PVD is a process it was also at one time considered a coating in and of it'self. The chemical compositions and changes to the process brought about the other labeled finishes. PVD was indeed not only the name given to the process it was at one time and still is in the minds of some an actual finish. Colors can vary, based on the types of chemicals and metal composition added to the process. Different names of course are given to each of those as well. The brand names are given for the purpose of individuality and it makes wise business sense to label different even though a lot of finishes are not unique, but the same as another finish with a different name.. A good example or one example of this is Ed Browns Gen III finish.. "which if I am not mistaken is Cerakote" But, for the sake of branding and individualizing is called a Gen 3 finish..

14. dvs6

dvs6 Active Member

Feb 17, 2018
    After researching a lot of different "coatings," I went with DLC on my current build.

dvs6

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted