1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a stainless Renaissance in the mail. It looks so much better in person, but I also am considering DLC for a premium refinish. I'd like it to be charcoal or a steel gray.. but my understanding is DLC (ionbond) is BLACK when oiled.

I'd like the rust prevention and durability of DLC as I intend to pass this along as an heirloom- so not worried about "value" and it will be stored for extended periods.

Thoughts on how awesome this would look as stainless vs DLC? I've seen most excellent DLC photos but in person is always different...

Thoughts?
20210227_160124.jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lol - I just refreshed my browser and see like 5 threads on DLC! Ha. I will read more I guess.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I only have 1 DLC right now but have plans for more! It's unlike any other finish I have played with. I have a full bead blasted finish so I haven't had a high polish version in my hands but it's definitely not black. It's a very dark grey. I like it even more bc it's not a full black and definitely not a blued finish either. Fwiw I have carried it for a couple of months with plenty of draw strokes and not a sign of wear yet.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Notwithstanding the above finishes come and go. DLC while popular today as well as HC can become obsolete and sources diminish over time. Stainless is just that...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm a big fan of DLC for its look and wear resistance. But in a recent thread here, a few of the resident SMEs suggested that there are different approaches to its application, not all are equal, and that corrosion resistance isn't necessarily one of DLC's chief virtues as applied to firearms.

I was surprised.

Too, Rob at ACW recently lamented issues he was having getting DLC to take to a high polish if turnaround time from metalwork to DLC application was too long; basically, some degree of metal oxidation couldn't be avoided in transit and it was ruining maintaining the high polish reflectivity and the DLC application came out matte. As a result, for the time being ACW's only offering matte DLC.

Lastly, DLC can be done in a variety of colors, not just black.

I think engraving "pops" best with a high polished metal and a dark finish. I'd inquire with Evolution Armory what they suggest.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I personally would leave that one as is. DLC really doesn’t offer much additional corrosion protection vs. bare stainless. It does protect a little better but nothing like cerakote.

And stainless is easy to touch up with some bead blasting and polishing should you ever “wear” it down in places.

Your gun with engraving looks pretty darn good as is.

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Here's a possible option I think would look great on an engraved gun. NH allowed an exception to me in having a gun built for Mrs. C. I did a Talon ll in Antique Nickel that they normally only do on their VIP models. Check out their website for that model. Ours is more subtle because there is no engraving. If interested, you may have to go through the corporate ladder to get approved.

IMG_4354.jpg
IMG_4355 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
@random84 - Jesse, I'm surprised that no one ever mentions this fact but there is "SILVER DLC".
A year or two ago our NH Rep, Bob Reeves, told me to consider "silver DLC" if I wanted a finish that kind of looks stainless but is a hell of a lot more durable & it is a beautiful finish.

I've seen several NH Korth's done in silver DLC, I think one of our sponsors had a couple Korth's for sale with that finish on them. Brother I think it's worth looking at sir!

BCD 45

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@random84 - Jesse, I'm surprised that no one ever mentions this fact but there is "SILVER DLC".
A year or two ago our NH Rep, Bob Reeves, told me to consider "silver DLC" if I wanted a finish that kind of looks stainless but is a hell of a lot more durable & it is a beautiful finish.

I've seen several NH Korth's done in silver DLC, I think one of our sponsors had a couple Korth's for sale with that finish on them. Brother I think it's worth looking at sir!

BCD 45
Great suggestion, thank you!

I will admire the pistol as-is a while before making a decision, but the silver DLC sounds like my kind of jam. :D

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally, I’m a stainless guy, but if I’m looking for something more classic or heirloom quality a high polish bluing can’t be beat IMO

·
Registered
740 Posts
The only thing I would suggest if if you do silver get the flats brushed, not matte. It the one thing I would change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing I would suggest if if you do silver get the flats brushed, not matte. It the one thing I would change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The flats are more polished that the rounds - it has some nice contrast that doesn't show in the photo.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts