Do any of you carry a rifle or AR pistol in your EDC kit?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by B81, May 9, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I was talking with some folks at the range the other day. It turns out that some of these guys actually carry a rifle (unloaded) in their EDC bags/packs. Their pistols are carry concealed in the usual way. But the rifles are there for bigger fights, such as active shooter scenarios, civil unrest, etc.

I live in an urban environment where you get from point A to point B by foot or public transport. In a way, these "bag guns" are the urban equivalent of the truck gun.

In my state, you can conceal a loaded AR Pistol, SBR, and (ironically) machine gun. You can also transport a rifle, such as a full size AR, but it must be unloaded. In this case, the AR is broken down to fit in the pack anyway. Mags can be loaded, but must be stored in a separate compartment than the rifle.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I have on occasion, more so for S&Gs than anything.
    Mk18 SBR with LAW folder fits nicely into a normal looking backpack.
    With CCW I can carry it loaded and concealed. Fun walking around WalMart with that on your back.
    For public transit... state law is gonna dictate and I think an AR pistol in a backpack will be more hassle than it’s worth

FWoo45 likes this.

3. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I do not. If I am in a sketchy area I might owb carry my G20. 15 +1 of 10mm is about as good as it gets with a handgun

UBOATDOC and FWoo45 like this.
  4. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Guess it would depend where you live and your daily environment. Seems a little over armed for my daily routine and surroundings but if I lived in Detroit, Philly or etc. it would be comforting to have close access to a rifle.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I do not, two pistols is all

Greg6640, UBOATDOC and limbkiller like this.
  6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Glock with five 30# mags & two 17# carried

HOTCHKIS, Mike Meints and Sneaky One like this.
  7. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    When the Ferguson stuff was happening, I moved around STL with my AR broken down in my violin case and a backpack full of hate. It wasn't an uncommon site at all.

I can't imagine I would do that in any other kind of situation though.

8. 4325

4325 New Member

Jan 17, 2018
    7FCE830A-5CF0-442D-9763-F766AAB98927.jpeg 7F05AED1-8486-4B85-8C14-11A5E9191211.jpeg 477A5AAB-927B-4944-BC90-4C28E921C394.jpeg

With a law folder there’s no reason not to

FWoo45, Greg6640, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.
  9. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    I have a greyghost sbr backpack, but I don't carry everywhere all the time.

It is nice to have though. I keep it set up with an AR pistol with a LAW Tactical folder, spare mags, first aid stuff, tourniquets, flashlight, etc. I'm retired LEO, and find myself throwing it in my truck fairly regularly.
    IMG_9650_480x480.jpg
    It certainly doesn't scream "GUN", and is actually quite comfortable to carry.

https://greyghostgear.com/products/apparition-sbr-bag

FWoo45, UBOATDOC, HOTCHKIS and 2 others like this.
  10. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Didnt know you were in STL during the Ferguson crap. We went to a Lebanese eatery about a block from the area, must have been a week after the uprising. Got your e-mail, sent you a question

gps man likes this.
  11. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    This carries well in a small backpack, especially if broken down.
    Rarely tote it though

8976493A-ADA2-4CF4-BCE7-A96EE381836B.jpeg

FWoo45, BigSkyGuy, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.
  12. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    i carry an AR in everyday work vehicle
    just in-queso..

ZArugby likes this.
  13. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Ah yes.... the Ferguson troubles.

I kept a 10.5” AR pistol with during those days.

14. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Yep. I did a couple security gigs to make some quick cash, but mostly stayed around the south side to make sure my family and community didn't get caught up in it. It got a little hairy a couple times.

I believe Chels got back to you and took care of it.

I don't miss STL one bit. Unfortunately, I will have to spend a few days up there later this month. Here's hoping the peace and space in Arkansas hasn't made me soft!

FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  15. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
  16. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    When I travel long distance here in the west, or plan on spending some significant time in the back country, I throw this in the back of my truck as part of my 3:00 AM roadside tire changing and emergency restroom break response plan. I've seen more bears at night on back country roads than I've ever seen while actually camping. It will fit in the side pocket of one of my Osprey day packs, but it's too heavy and slow to deploy when not openly carried, and I'd rather not cart around the weight or get in unnecessarily tense conversations with the rangers. It does often stay in my tent at night when we car camp as a family, though. I've been known to stick an AR in the back of my truck on occasion, but I really can't imagine lugging one around on a daily basis in the city.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I am usually armed in the back country, I prefer bear spray by far. Would rather not have to shoot any creature if it can be avoided. I tend to think of my 10mm as a tool for intervention at a distance when someone else is in danger, rather than the random encounter with a startled black bear on the trail or near the trash cans.
    [​IMG]

FWoo45 likes this.
  17. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    When I first retired and was traveling for PT work, I had an AR pistol that went with me all the time
    Easy in and out of a small carry bag, now it just sits in the safe.

18. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I always have Legion's in all of my vehicles---they live there. When I go to the ranch or out of town in my truck always put the LE901 in the case with 5 mags full. That should handle any problems.

19. GA 1911

GA 1911 Colt 1911 Government

Feb 6, 2016
    I have never really considered it (it's legal). I just carry a 1911 and with a revolver in an ankle holster in a bad neighborhood (like downtown Atlanta). 19-4snub.JPG

Soundwave and UBOATDOC like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted