STI Do I "NEED" a 2011

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by claybuster, May 3, 2019.

1. claybuster

claybuster Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    I've never held one. The problem around my AO is no one has any of the higher end stuff to play with, I generally have to buy something if I want to try it out then take it in the @ss when I hate it and get rid of it.

Some of the guns I've bought and hated.
    Wilson 1911's do nothing for me.
    Wilson EDC x9 (I actually hate this gun)
    Glock 19
    M&P's

Guns I love and have kept
    Glock 19, I know it's in both groups :)
    Les Baer 1911's
    CZ Shadow
    CZ Compact
    Para ordnance P14 ( Miss that one )

Actually looking at my list it appears I like fat grips so a 2011 is probably in my future. I've recently started shooting with a RMR on my CZ shadow so the 2011 will need that mounting option on it. What's a good base 4" 9mm 2011 with a RMR cut slide. Better to buy used or new? Looking at pictures online, I dislike the magwells and the mags sticking out on the bottom of the frame, what are the flush options?

2. RIS

RIS Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I was lucky enough to find a gun store near me that carried a Wilson EDC X9, I held it and thought it felt really good. I had been trying to decide between that and an Sti DVC Carry. I decided, even though they didn’t have any small STIs, that I would prefer a grip safety and traded for a DVC carry sight unseen. I’m so glad I got the STI instead! It feels just like a slightly fat 1911 whereas the EDC felt different. The STI shoots great and didn’t take any (retraining) that I keep hearing from guys that shoot the EDC. Of course, all this is my opinion, but I was nervous about the big purchase without being able to hold it and am glad I took the chance. Hope this helps.

claybuster likes this.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
  4. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Listing where you are might help as well as chances are great you are not the only one on here from your state.

5. claybuster

Nov 9, 2011
    It’s in my profile

6. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012

Yeah, I saw it said male from Michigan. I once drove from Detroit to Novi. Newsflash...it’s not a small State. Putting someing like UP in Mi, or Novi area or something might help your chances but whatever....carry on.

7. claybuster

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for stopping by.

8. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
    Your right...I’m out

9. claybuster

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks again

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  10. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    So I’ll jump in.... Remember guys, were typing in the internet here. It’s easy you get wires crossed and intentions misconstrued without personal communication.

On to STI’s. Claybuster, my name was called out because I’m a STI Collector. I have a bunch of them.

I’ll answer any questions that you have on them. You mentioned flush fit mags. The standard grip length is 126mm, 126mm mags will flush fit. The two next most common size mags are 140mm and 170mm, they will extend out. For forever and a day STI made a 120mm grip, this was put on all their carry guns. It is a better option for concealed carry BUT there is not a pistol in their current line up that has it. I think only because they are going through a model line change, I hope because they will come up with something more compact. You can still find a lot of new on dealer shelves 120mm grip guns, you’ll need 120mm mags to flush fit.

Magwells. Magwells are held on by the MSH pin on the grip. It’s a 2 minute procedure to take it off. They offer multiple sizes, the slim Tactical is the most narrow. I don’t think you need one as the STI grip is already angled in and the mags are tapered top. I practice all my reloads on a gun with no magwell.

New or Used??? STI’s have a lifetime warranty wether you’re the first or tenth owner or if you’ve shot 2 or 20k rounds through it. Buy a used STI with confidence, if something isn’t working proper they will make it right.

From what you’ve mentioned I think there’s 2 current options for you. The DVC-C (DVC Carry) has a 3.9” barrel and 120mm grip (the DVC Carry has the 120mm grip, the current DVC-C has the 126mm). You’ll want the HOST option for the optic cut. MSRP new would be $3,399 on that one.

The next option would be the 2018 Tactical or Staccato-P. It has a 4.15” barrel and 126mm grip. With the host option MSRP will be $2,399.

If you are on a budget, buy a used STI Guardian and have the slide milled for an optic.

Lastly you mention you like fat grips. STI’s grips are nothing like a CZ or Para-Ord. They’re actually only about 3/16” larger in circumstance than a standard 1911. Slightly shorter front to back and slightly wider in the sides. Any size hands can shoot them even my 5’4” 120lb wife.

Gordy, FWoo45, Cycletroll and 11 others like this.
  11. claybuster

Nov 9, 2011
    Thank you, I found a couple dealers 60-100 miles away, I’ll try to get over there this coming weekend to check them out.

12. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Here's my Staccato P with the magwell removed. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

claybuster likes this.
  13. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I just hit #10 in doublestacks and have had almost all of the guns you listed.
    Got rid of my Wilsons as they don't like me. The EDC X9 being the exception.
    Personally, I'd skip a 2011 STI and go for either a NHC double stack; GCI double stack; or have Joe build you a custom double stack. I have all of the above plus a plethora of STIs. STIs get shoved in the corner versus the others.
    But, that said, I love the double stack platform. They just shoot really well.

FWoo45, claybuster and B81 like this.
  14. claybuster

Nov 9, 2011
    I checked out a bunch of them today. The DVC carry host is the one I think. The nighthawk was nice but I want a 4” bull barrel, no bushings.

Looking at the DVC C it looks like the rear sight comes off with the plate and the rmr plate has its own rear sight anyone have a picture of what that looks like? I’m assuming it’s the gen 2 host.

Who’s Joe?

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I would assume he means Joe Chambers (Gunsmith).

FWoo45 and pscipio03 like this.
  16. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    claybuster likes this.
  17. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Joe Chambers

18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    gaijin likes this.
  19. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’m sure it’s a great pistol but @$5500 I think you can get just as good a gun at a couple thousand less.

wrmiller and claybuster like this.
  20. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted