Do slide-stop notches wear out?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Alexy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Hey everyone, I have one inquiry about the notch for the slide stop on my 1911.

Are they known to wear out/get run down to the point where the slide won't lock back? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Of course I only mean with normal use. Abusing it would obviously do it, but has anyone had this happen to them before with normal use?

I use the slide stop to chamber rounds, I'm a bit concerned if this will mess up the notch over time? Or if this is even a thing? (If it's not a thing, don't hesitate to tell me. :) )

Alexy

Mike A likes this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

3. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I read that in the voice of Bender. :D

4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    The only issue I’ve ever had with them is a Brown peening. That was more attributed to a slide stop issue than the notch it’s self.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    If your slide won't lock back it's a bad follower in your mag, or your slide stop needs tuned, or the detent spring is wearing out.. Have you recently changed the slide stop?

6. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Reading is fundamental......

gps man, mikegalway and Steve Owens like this.
  7. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    And punctuation .

8. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I don't use slide stop for chambering . Just my habit .

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    .........:cool:

Alexy likes this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    My primary gun is a Wilson 5" Protector model in 9mm...gun is coming up on 13 yrs old....and 250,000 rds thru it...( its my primary range gun & my carry gun now for last 3 yrs) .....and I use the slide stop to drop the slide on every reload I have done in that gun....( I have broken 3 parts to date on that gun..all at around 120,000 to 190,000 rds I think.....an extractor, the shaft on the thumb ambi safety and the slide lock spring detent tube)....never had the slide lock replaced or needing service...

So No....

11. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    No it's all fine. I was just curious if the slide stop notch (cutout) on the slide would wear out with use. But from what I see here it doesn't. My 1911 has been pretty good to me thus far.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Wow. This shows how reliable the 1911 is. I've never broken such parts. Is your Wilson a lightweight/full size/or compact?

13. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    Full size, 5" , all stainless..

20180529_152536_001.jpg

FWoo45, Alexy, Sonic Ox and 2 others like this.
  14. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    I have a full size 5" Wilson CQB also ...in black armor tuff finish ..in .45acp...with probably only 35,000 rds thru it ( its 16 yrs old now ....it was my carry gun for about 13 yrs ...).... never broken a single part on it....and I drop the slide with the slide lock on that gun too all the time...

View attachment 164483

20170825_143534.jpg

Just good solid, well made, basic guns !!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    FWoo45, Alexy, Sonic Ox and 1 other person like this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The only time I have seen a slide stop hole wear was on a cheap GSG .22lr 1911 But, their slides are pretty much made from pot metal to be as light weight and as cheap as possible. I personally have never thought it a good idea to drop the slide everytime from the slide catch, but got a butt chewing awhile back because that is the way they were designed to work. However, a lot of things have been changed and added over the years, some for the better, some not so much.. But, all in all it pretty much just comes down to preference.. I sling shot my guns more often then I used the slide stop to release the slide. Like Mike said just my habit...

16. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve watched many professional shooters drop the slide using the slide stop.
    Not a damn thing wrong with using it.

17. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Cue the drum roll..............................

18. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    There has been a recent dearth of EweToobe vids and threads in many forums stating emphatically that using the slide stop release is harmful to your pistol. I wonder who decided it was bad...

19. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Glock started it in their armorer classes around 1990. “It is a slide stop, not a slide release. Don’t use it as a slide release”.

I never, ever slingshot a 1911. It was designed to be used.

FWoo45 and BigJimP like this.
  20. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Interesting.... at my CCH course (which included a lot of “new gun owner” content) the instructor was using his Glock for demonstration and showed when doing a reload from slide lock, how the force of firmly inserting a new magazine was enough to release the slide. He explained this was due to wear resulting from “using the slide stop as a slide release”. Right or wrong, it’s easy to see how this becomes folklore to a bunch of new firearm owners...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted