1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guess would be the vast majority of members here own more than one handgun. (At least prior to that boating mishap). This is not one of those “if you could only have one gun” threads. What I’m more interested in is whether there is one gun in your collection that sees the most carry, range, HD and just plain ‘use’ than all of your others.

Personally, I would like to ID such a gun from my own collection. One that I will carry 90+% of the time I carry a gun. One that will go to the range and get shot every time I go regardless of what else goes and gets shot that day. One that stays ready and will be what I grab if something goes bump in the night. One that I would sleep with...if I slept. (Nod to Lethal Weapon)

I love reading threads posted by shooters who have tens of thousands of rounds through one particular gun. I was also recently watching a Bill Wilson/Ken Hackathorn video where Bill mentions having 30k+ rounds through his favorite 1911. (He didn’t ID the model - all I could tell was it was a 9mm and less than full-size.). I would think in cases like these, even with these guys being “full-time gun guys” having access to many, many guns, the guns with such high volume would almost have to be considered a “primary”.

So I’m very interested in whether you have a primary, what it is, and the how’s and why’s that determined that. Did you intend to have a primary or did it just ‘happen’?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have some 1911's in .45 and 9mm. Got rid of a Kobra Carry just because it had fiber optic sights and ib prefer night sights. Besides I liked shooting my DW Guardian better. I always wind up coming back to this one. Lite, great balance and a very good trigger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,492 Posts
I don’t carry . But two almost always go to the range with me . My Dan Wesson PM 9, and my highly customized Ruger Mark IV Hunter 22.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,411 Posts
I have several Primary guns.

DW .38 Super Guardian is my Primary EDC.
Brown White Black Everyday carry Grey

Baer C7 in .45 is my Primary nightstand gun.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Glove

There's the primary 870 express tactical 12 gauge "Get off my Lawn gun."

Then there is the Primary Truck gun.

The Primary..."leave me alone cause I'm in my
fat ass chair in the front room gun".:angel:

Want me to keep going?:grin:

·
On The Lost Highway
350 Posts
This 1911 is a RIA given to me by my sons.
They had it engraved with my badge and rank on the slide.
It sat in my safe for a few years while I carried "more fancy" pistols. After all, it was a parked finish fraught with edges
sharp enough to shave with. The few times I tried to carry it in my waist band it dug into me mercilessly.
So one night I got to looking at it. It's obvious that this 1911 is never going to be sold or traded. Who would ever want a 1911 engraved like this one? Maybe one of my sons upon my passing, for a keepsake.
That's when I decided to throw good judgement out the window and make a carry gat out of it.
I spent hours on this pistol, knocking down every rough and sharp edge. Anything that could and did poke me was hand sanded down and smoothed out.
When I got that process finished I had a pistol "in the white". All the park was gone but the finish sure was good.
Armoloy is an old school finish...now it's on my carry piece.
Wood Hardwood Metal Wood stain Plywood

·
just one more
656 Posts
I don't have 1, but 2 or so. My carry piece for the last several years has been a micro 9. think Shield, kahr, gloc 43, now sig 365. Even though I've moved through these guns and each has been a bit smaller than the rest, whatever I'm carrying always goes to the range with me. But they aren't my range gun/s. For that I always take something else, typically a glock 19 and 1911, and it's not unusual to add in a revolver. More a cast of "usual suspects" than a primary.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a pair of STI Elektra's - one is routinely carried, the other is the "backup" in case I DO have to use the primary, and it's held for evidence. I also have 3 Sig P938's for the same reason - I usually carried two (one in each vest pocket on the bike), and have a new, unfired one for b/u. I really have no idea of the round count on any of them - but it's relatively low, since I have others I can use at the range, and my nightmare is if SHTF, and my carry piece picks that time to have a malfunction. That last pic is the only one I have of the 938's - it was the weekend I bought it, and was taking it to the range w/some others to do some plinking.

Technology Machine Silver Wire Plastic
Gun Product Firearm Photograph White
Trigger Air gun Machine gun Engineering Iron

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,648 Posts
Gotta go with 2 "primaries". Both are alloy and light. Either a 442 or Officer's LW. This is dependent on what I am doing that day. Going to work requires that I have something in my coat in a pocket holster, so I don't carry my Officer's. Have done some shopping/buying and am going to change the "work" gun to a truly "pocket" gun and have either a Seecamp or Sig 938. Probably going to get wife all handled/trained for the 442.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Yes, any of my 1911s or my single 2011. All are my "primary" firearm, all are in .45ACP.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Two primaries for me: DW V-Bob (duty treat) in .45 acp for 8-9 months of the year, and DW Guardian in .38 Super for the summer months.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts