Do you like bobtails?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by dgi, Oct 20, 2011.

1. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I never liked bobtails on full size grips but now that i think about it... i've never actually shot one. I can see the benefits of course and Massad Ayoob seems to think highly of them since the Ed Brown pistol that bears his name is bobtailed. I called Brown months ago to see if they offered an officer's sized frame and the rep told me that they feel the bobtailed full sized frame is superior to the officers frame and thats why they dont offer the short frame.

What do you guys think? Pics always help too of course :thumb:

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I've shot Quack's EB KC and DW G and I like them. So that might be a project build; commander bobtail.

3. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I like the look but I'd never seek one out/buy one or have a current gun done with with bob tail. I've never handled one let alone fired one.

4. tas6691

tas6691 New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

I am currently wearing the Kobra Carry. The bobtail on a commander size gun fits my hand well, is comfortable during firing, is very controllable and conceals well. In short, it feels "right" on a commander size gun.

The fullsize Kobra is gone. It seemed like a good idea....I love the commander sized bobtails, and I wanted to carry a full sized 1911 so it made sense. HOWEVER, it never balanced quite right in my hand. Seemed very muzzle heavy. It felt awkward when firing as well, and consequently I never shot it as well as my Special Forces or Talon full frame guns. I used to compare it to a round butt vs. a square butt K frame S&W, but thats not really accurate. It just never felt "right" in my hand.

I have read on other forums many other guys with bobtailed fullsized 1911's who love them and now pick them over non-bobtailed frames. The fullsize bobtail didnt work for me.

5. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Here's my story . I LOVED bobtailed guns. Had my full size bobbed , had Guardian and still have a VBOB. Then one day I bought a CCO. I took it and the VBOB yo the range. After putting 100 rounds through the CCO, I picked up the bob. Every shot for the first two mags was VERY high . Don't ask me why, I still can't figure it out, but it happens every time I shoot a bobtailed gun after shooting a full framed gun .

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I love bobtails and round-butted officers frame pistols for carry... Ron

7. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I've never shot a bobtailed gun. I'd love to try a full size that's been bobtailed though.

8. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm a fan. I've found that shooting my commander length with bobtail to be extremely comfortable and fits very well in my hand. So much to the point that I'm looking into a full size w/ bobtail. Probably an EB Special forces.

9. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You are not the only one that has reported that.

10. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
  11. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Nope, they just feel odd in my hand.

12. hogrider05

hogrider05 Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I've only had it a few months, so far I cant find anything I dislike about it.

[​IMG]

13. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Your replies are basically what i was expecting... i really like the way my Officers frame feels and that will soon get a round butt conversion...

Now for the question that has me climbing the walls....

Im buying a TRP Champion..... Should i bobtail it? :frusty:

Im mostly hesitant due to the rare nature of the gun... your thoughts?

14. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011

NO!!!

15. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    I'd have to agree with knedrgr on this one. I can't even convince myself to bobtail my standard TRP... hence the bobtailed Special Forces.

16. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I've got two bobtailed commanders and love them. But I shoot a lot of round butt revolvers, so the feel is very similar.

17. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Please do not bobtail that rare TRP Champion. If you want a bobtail gun I will work out a trade with you for that.

18. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    No... they are too rare. It doesn't carry much differently than a bobbed gun.

19. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    While they might be great to carry, for some reason. I just dont like the way they look. :(

claire

20. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    yeah... they are rare... i'll keep the modifications non permanent ones.... i sure do like the way the bobtailed champions look though lol

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted