1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I was all set to go to the range today in an effort to zero in a new set of iron sights on a Wilson.

But it's snowing. I don't think I'm that hardcore.

Do any of you go to the range when it's snowing? Any special considerations to keep in mind?

How do you find your brass?:eek:.o:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'll occasionally shoot in the snow. I have a 6'x6' piece of shadecloth with grommets on the corners. I put some heavy bolts through the grommets to keep the corners down if it's windy. Most, if not all, of my brass ends up on the cloth. Pick up the corners and the snow or dust filters through.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll occasionally shoot in the snow. I have a 6'x6' piece of shadecloth with grommets on the corners. I put some heavy bolts through the grommets to keep the corners down if it's windy. Most, if not all, of my brass ends up on the cloth. Pick up the corners and the snow or dust filters through.
Good tip. I had thought of a tarp, but didn't want to pack rocks around to weight it down.

I should have asked if folks shooting in the snow know how to find their brass with both hands? hehe.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Sure do. I can take the cold over too much heat. Just put on the insulated Carhartts, good winter boots, hat and keep those gloves under the carhartts next to your chest cause you want warm gloves to slide those cold hands in to.
I don't do it near as much as I did when I was much younger..of course I can say that about everything!! From the Age of Aquarius to the Age of Arthritis!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Here in Maine if you're going to shoot, you'll eventually be shooting in the snow. Dress warm, wear gloves and a hat. Use a lighter gun oil, no grease, things tend to thicken in the cold and an slow your gun down. I don't reload so I don't chase brass.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like in the indoor ranges, I just use Blazer Aluminum case 45 acp :).
Snow in the Mountains makes for hard travel at times getting to the outdoor ranges.
No indoor ranges around here.

I don't reload yet, but I'm planning to start. Already hoarded around 3000 rounds of .45 and 9mm brass.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I don't reload yet, but I'm planning to start. Already hoarded around 3000 rounds of .45 and 9mm brass.
I hate to admit but after a lifetime of reloading I just leave my spent shells at
the range in the box hoping that someone else will use them.

I have ammo cans of once fired brass that if after I load all the new brass I have
I will be 113 years old. ;) 3000 45acp? Well you have enough for a very long time
the way the 45acp brass last.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate to admit but after a lifetime of reloading I just leave my spent shells at
the range in the box hoping that someone else will use them.

I have ammo cans of once fired brass that if after I load all the new brass I have
I will be 113 years old. ;) 3000 45acp? Well you have enough for a very long time
the way the 45acp brass last.
Lol, the vast majority is 9mm. Prolly 20% .45. Who knows, I may never reload...but at least I'll have brass.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I shoot rain snow sun shine. If your ever in a life or death situation it’s not 70 degree no humidity. Guns get wet, just get oiled and taken care of.

Sucks but you need to be exposed to all elements. Snow flakes can hit you in the eye as well as rain drops. Learn to adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,784 Posts
My cohorts and I shoot/train at least once, if not twice a week. The weather here can be 20 degrees or 115+. Could be raining, breezy, windy, really windy, snowing, sleeting, dark, light, muddy, colderthanawelldiggersass, hotter than all get out. Still shoot/train each week.

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,528 Posts
I actually prefer crappy weather,most stay inside,and not clogging up the range.
Nicer being in a ghost town than some numbskull calling a "clear" after every five rounds or so to check his target :bang:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Being a reloader, i have to keep my brass. I tend to shoot rifles or revolvers in the snow. Caldwell makes a nice brass catcher for the picatinny rail on my AR. Heat from the barrel keeps you warm.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.