1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all been taught to use a "surprise break" when shooting for accuracy. How about when shooting against the clock or at a moving target? Do you still use a suprise break, or do you force the shot to break when you want it to?

Reactions: Mike A

·
The Tinker
4,478 Posts
No surprise, I know when the shot will break.
Same here.

I've found that most, if not all of the 'rules' for bullseye/accuracy shooting go right out the window in a real-life situation where you're running, kneeling, prone, sliding, on your side or back, and there's someone else who's trying to kill you.

But that's just been my experience. YMMV. :)

·
The Tinker
4,478 Posts
I make the gun go off, with intent, when the gun has settled enough for the precision required. All while holding on tight and jerking the trigger to the rear.
Bingo! Jason has the right of it.

With a good trigger job, on a rifle or pistol, you can better manage the pop of the trigger to keep the gun and target aligned. If I have a target that is moving and I only have a small window of opportunity to hit it, I'll be damned if I'm going to slow down my trigger pull just to be smooth and risk missing the target. Heck, in USPSA my pistol never stopped moving, and I slapped the trigger as fast as I could while still being able to control the pistol. Which is why I wanted a sub two pound trigger on my competition pistols. :)

I am beginning to suspect that many here have never been in a high-pressure competition or combat situation. Which on the one hand is good. But on the other...

·
Banned
150 Posts
This works for me. Try it & see if it works for you.
Fix your concentration on your front sight and secondary on the sight alignment. Then try to pull the front sight smooth and straight back through the rear sight with the trigger while maintaining the sight alignment. You forget to think about the trigger.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We have all been taught to use a "surprise break" when shooting for accuracy. How about when shooting against the clock or at a moving target? Do you still use a suprise break, or do you force the shot to break when you want it to?
Both! Without thinking about gun, sights or trigger!

Smiles,

Reactions: Badabing11

·
Registered
381 Posts
I pull to the rear without jerking most of the time. It’s like racing. Smooth is fast.
Even shooting rapid fire (5 shots in 10 seconds at 25 yards) I make sure the dot is near the X and squeeeeze. This results in something in the high 90s. However if I panic or get my timing off, score goes in the toilet. Especially if I don’t get the first shot off correctly.

David

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I mash the trigger when the sights are where I want them and hold the pistol as tight as I can without moving the sights. Done right the holes appear where they are supposed to.
Done not so good they appear 2-5" from where they're supposed to be.
But I'm a uspsa shooter and that's pretty far from Bullseye shooting! FWIW

Rob Lathem has a neat video on basically what I said and some others have. It's about keeping your sights aligned while Pulling/Pressing/Mashing the trigger straight back. IF you keep the sights aligned when the hammer falls the bullets going where you want it to.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found this video, where Rob Leatham addresses the question about using a surprise break when shooting fast. When shooting fast, he says just hold the gun tight and learn to "jerk the trigger" without moving the gun. To him, shooting fast is a different process from shooting precise. No surprise break. No focusing on the front sight. Just hold the gun firm, point at the target (with sights roughly where they need to be), and pull the trigger without moving the gun.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,547 Posts
Same here.

I've found that most, if not all of the 'rules' for bullseye/accuracy shooting go right out the window in a real-life situation where you're running, kneeling, prone, sliding, on your side or back, and there's someone else who's trying to kill you.

But that's just been my experience. YMMV. :)
I find I shoot better when I purposely pull when the sights are on target.
Squeezing with a surprise causes me to anticipate recoil.

·
The Tinker
4,478 Posts
Yeah i just slap the trigger when on the clock. Frankly I’m putting more emphasis on driving recoil and tracking the sight, the trigger is just pulled as fast as I can trying not to over reset.
Yea, Robbie taught me to do a controlled slap while using my off hand to control the pistol.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No surprises either way here. But when shooting for speed I definitely snatch the trigger with the most stable platform I can provide knowing it won't be perfect -- as it is generally close range and as such is more tolerant of slight disruptions in alignment of pistol and target.

·
Dremel jockey
5,498 Posts
Yeah i just slap the trigger when on the clock. Frankly I’m putting more emphasis on driving recoil and tracking the sight, the trigger is just pulled as fast as I can trying not to over reset.
Shot this way for all my life.
Now accuracy has deteriorated.
No more 'just tracking the front sight and mashing the trigger'.
Now I have to hard concentrate on the front sight and use a bit of trigger finesse.
What has changed?
Well my vision plays a role. Previously a 'flash sight picture' delivered lots of details for my use. I could assess both sights and the target simultaneously. Not bullseye perfect, but a head shot at 10yds was a snap.
It takes longer now.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.