1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Does anybody make a good looking 2011?

Tags
8K views 108 replies 41 participants last post by  Austin_TX 
#1 ·
The thing is 1911s look good. Granted not all and some better than others and tastes maybe different but the fact remains that there are some really sweet looking 1911s out there.

I understand there are some really nice shooting 2011s out there and I guess that's all that should matter. But lets face it many out there buy some of these 1911's partly if not largely based on how they look.

So the question remains are there and if there are where are the good looking 2011's?

#3 ·
LOL

Just the thing that keeps coming to my mind now that I have a few semi custom 1911s, an EDC XL, and a CZ TSO which really wasn't purchased based on looks. The thing that comes to mind when I thought I might want to consider getting a 2011. I just haven't yet found any good looking 2011s.

#13 ·
Just like a 1911, you can get more of a plain pistol and send it in for all kinds of dressing up to your particular tastes.

I used to think the stippled grips were ugly, but they are very comfortable and the look is growing on me :)
Personally I'm not into the whole thing of buying something and then paying more money just to make it what I wanted to be in the first place. I did that once but for the most part that's just not for me. Somehow it just goes against my grain especially for the amount we are already talking and I'm not sure whatever I did to change it that I could change it enough to make it look the way I would want it to look.

I can imagine the STI pistols and that whole stippled thing might work, but frankly for the most part they just look ugly to me. Somehow a 1911 just looks much more refined and a 2011 starts out looking extremely blocky in comparison and I think a good part of that has to do with the the double stack magazine. But then again most of these slides on a 2011 seem to have all kinds of cuts and serrations that just aren't for me either. I also could do with other options besides just black.

#36 ·
Guns should go boom and other things as well. But there's no reason they can't look good too.
Maybe I'm blind but those rifles above look mighty nice to me. :happy:

I do not like the look of a customized 1911. :confused: Call me nuts, but I like the look of the early
Military 1911s before the A1 came along. That's right, I would rather own a 1918 to
1970 Colt 1911 military or not.

Like the M1 & M14 the 1911 is beautiful to my eyes. You can take anything &
modify it's looks, & not comprise the normal workings of the design.

I like the way the 1969 SS nova with a 307 look, you can turn it to mud by changing
too much of the design. But that is why I made so much $ in the 70s customizing Bikes.
Change it, that is for you to decide, but I just like the original 1911 design and always have.

Well that's my .02 for today.

Gun Product Yellow Firearm Photograph

#25 ·
#31 · (Edited)

I consider this to be a pretty 2011 - STI Apeiro with stippled grip.

One of the reasons I purchased Shiny above is for it’s pretty polished blue finish which is very hard to represent in pictures, but it’s a one-off build by who knows who.

The top one does with regards to the slide, no doubt. Personally however I don't find the stippled stuff very attractive and I'm not a fan of the trigger and trigger guard. But yes, that slide does look good.

#56 ·
azpoolguys got the idea................
View attachment 367963
9mm or 45acp, take your pick...............

TR
I can't help but think some guy said to his 3 year old "You ever seen alligator skin up close?"
And the kid says "No."
"Hmm, well, make me a grip that you think it would look like."
Then they took whatever the kid came up with and slapped it on the gun.

#38 ·
Looking over the Nighthawk double stacks on their website, look very nice to me! SVI makes a superior gun to STI so I've always been told / read and you can build it anyway you like. The only things you cant do is get them shipped to Kaliforniastan :(

#39 ·
Well I'll just say it, Rock Island. Their 1911a2 is more traditional looking and has a steel frame. I assume you want something fancier, so you'd have to send it off for work if that's what you're looking for but at least it's cheap for a base gun. It'd be perfectly fine with a simple refinish of your choosing though. People hate on RIA but 99% of them seem to work just fine and they have good customer service if you get one that doesn't.

#40 ·
I willl flat out admit it, maybe I am prejudiced, but there is no way I will ever buy a RIA

#46 ·
I’ve never seen a 2011 that I thought was ugly. I like all of em.

I even think zoids wwII petrified 1911 pryed from under deck planks of an aircraft carrier is good looking! I guess as we get older , the girls start getting prettier...
As I get older I may have to take whatever charity from whatever girl I can get, however since I have the money I can be extremely selective in whatever gun I want to buy.

So I would have to say I disagree with you.

Oh, and please don't tell my wife I am willing to accept charity. LOL

#52 · (Edited)
Heck, I like the looks of most guns, even one of those Russkie AK things that I would never buy. But as in cars, Italians design the most beautiful guns, albeit not 2011s.

View attachment 368233
And see I definitely have a preference for a berretta as well and maybe that's due to my service. The old thoroughly used rattle trap 1911s were initially the assigned side arm when I initially entered service but the brand new easy to fire Berretta entered service not long afterwards. I do own a 92FS and this was one of the very first guns I chose to purchase.

#55 ·
1911s and 2011s are apples and oranges.

I like the classic look of some 1911s, Les Baer in 45 is one example of close to old style. Some of the newer higher end semi production guns like Nighthawk are works of art but not really "classic" to my eyes. You can go higher $ as far as you want.

STI 2011s, for example, use some of the original setup and modernize it with double stack, steel and polymer combo frame etc. I think they are great but they are not even trying to be the 1911 beauty queens some appreciate.

For me, admire the 1911 and shoot the heck out of the 2011.

#58 ·
1911s and 2011s are apples and oranges.

I like the classic look of some 1911s, Les Baer in 45 is one example of close to old style. Some of the newer higher end semi production guns like Nighthawk are works of art but not really "classic" to my eyes. You can go higher $ as far as you want.

STI 2011s, for example, use some of the original setup and modernize it with double stack, steel and polymer combo frame etc. I think they are great but they are not even trying to be the 1911 beauty queens some appreciate.

For me, admire the 1911 and shoot the heck out of the 2011.
Based on what I've seen to this point you"ve probably captured it perfectly right there.

#61 ·
#66 · (Edited)
@Dddrees I brought the X2 to market for GI, so I know what they are capable of doing with that platform.

If you want to spec something out, let's chat. I bet I could come up with something that you would like.
Thanks for the offer and I greatly appreciate it, but to be honest at this point I'm only exploring possibilities. At this stage of my quest I'm nowhere near making any decisions. Sometimes this can take as much as a year or so before I am ready to commit to anything. I took about 3 years before I committed to my first Wilson Combat, but then the next few were in a matter of months.

#68 ·
If you didn't know who the manufacturer is:

View attachment 368273

And I do have a RIA. It had its weirdness, but a couple hours work and only using one brand of mags, and it works like a charm. At least I don't have to worry about scratches!
But for me that wouldn't work. When doing my research who and how it was made is all part of the research. RIA isn't known for doing things that typically appeal to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.