1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Check load data manual for length but w231 is a good choice use load that is about 825-850 fps. Gonna be 5.2- 5.4 gr range

·
Registered
687 Posts
16lb 5 inch is standard it should run ! Berrys bullets are copper coated and not jacketed they should be loaded just above lead bullet loads to start then work up . looking over some old load data lookes like 5.5- 5.7 might be more of what you want. I always work to get good groups low recoil and still run reliably.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First, do not take load data off the net. Too many "reloading sites" are full of scum that like to give "proof-proof" loads to beginners for "fun". Yes, I can give you a list of sites that do that regularly.

Second, check the reloading sites/manuals for safe data.

Third, any where between 5.2 gr and 5.5 gr of 231 is a great load. I use 5.4 to 5.5 grs and it works excellently with cast/plated bullets and gives major for IPSA.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,410 Posts
Sounds pretty light I'm using 5.7 with 230 gr. Pills

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I've shot 200gr 68s at 5.4 gr 231 for 25 years on a 16# spring on Government sized guns.
So I think any thing north of 5.0 gr using a tapered crimp should be fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
16lb 5 inch is standard it should run ! Berrys bullets are copper coated and not jacketed they should be loaded just above lead bullet loads to start then work up . looking over some old load data lookes like 5.5- 5.7 might be more of what you want. I always work to get good groups low recoil and still run reliably.
I used a load of W-231 from an old Winchester reloading handout, which load is no longer listed in any current manuals, for some super hard 230 gr cast bullets I bought at a gun show. They shot EXCELLENTLY, would go through a rail road tie length-wise and velocity was "HOLY SHEET!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts