close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone have direct experience with Heirloom Precision pistols?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Secret Squirrel, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    I have been considering having a full custom 1911 built from a stainless Springfield 1911 I was recently given. I have sent my initial contact e-mail to Heirloom Precision and was wondering if any of the forum members have an Heirloom Precision pistol and direct experience with how it is to deal with Mr. Burton to get exactly what you want?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Stevens and Eisenfeur like this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 cocked and locked Supporting Addict

Oct 22, 2015
    I wish I was that lucky :smile2: I have held a Tedd Yost (who has a great FaceBook page with many works in profess pictures -btw) and it was a religious experience. My grail would be Stan Chen.

Good luck

boatdoc and Secret Squirrel like this.

3. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    If you are going to use Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision for a full custom build then toss out the Springfield! Let Jason do everything from the ground up and don't limit what you want. Explore all the possibilities here on the forum with former customers and decide what you like. This will not be cheap, but it will be excellent.
    @Jason Burton what do you have to say? :grin:

liljoe, Bro. Pappaw, AJP and 5 others like this.
  4. green338

green338 No way Jose

Mar 1, 2013
    Burton builds amazing pistols. Easy to speak with. Very knowledgeable and will take the time to answer any question you may have via email or phone. He mostly builds on Colts but most of his railed guns are Springfield, from what I've seen.

Here's the one he built me, attached

Attached Files:

liljoe, Rose, Raylan Givens and 19 others like this.
  5. ImperialBlade

ImperialBlade Armed with my opinion and not afraid to use it. Supporting Addict

Aug 22, 2015
    Wow, when we start taking about Heirloom, Chen's and Yost's we are in the rarefied air. I too would love a Chen, but at give or take 10 grand a pistol I will need to win the lottery!

Either way, good luck with your Heirloom you will love it!

Secret Squirrel and wcanterbury like this.
  6. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I have shot a friends Burton Colt a couple of times, beautiful gun. Sadly his wait time is several years now someone just recently told me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky Supporting Addict

Jun 14, 2013
    There's great smiths on the forum. All do outstanding work.

8. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Ask about my avatar... Supporting Addict

Jan 3, 2013
    I have not had Jason build me a gun, but I have owned one of his builds that I acquired second hand. I talk with Jason on a regular basis and can honestly say he is a genuinely nice guy who is very knowledgeable about the model 1911. He will build you exactly the gun you want within his catalogue of build options. His work is very clean and you will not be disappointed.

You'd have to ask him about the Springfield as he mostly builds Colts. Personally, my favorite base gun is a Springfield milspec. The only caution I'd have for you regarding a milspec model is that you should avoid using a parkerized Springfield base gun. If it was park'd then it was very heavily blasted and is likely pitted like crazy. That said, if you can find a blued springer, or if your model is currently blued...it'll likely be a very viable base gun and should look fantastic after Jason finishes his work and blues it once again.

AJP, cwoods and wcanterbury like this.
  9. green338

green338 No way Jose

Mar 1, 2013
    Sorry, but not all smiths on the forum compare to each other. There is a difference between each smith. Each for the most part have their own style. In other words, there's a difference between a Burton and a few smiths on the forum.

blitz45, Eisenfeur, AJP and 5 others like this.
  10. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cwoods likes this.
  11. hyespeed

hyespeed Active Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have a Hi Power from Heirloom Precision built by Ted Yost when he was at Heirloom and it is by far my favorite 9mm and the finest Hi Power I have come across with that being said it is not a 1911 but I do have 1911 with Jason awaiting a build and when I sent my pistol in it was a 2 year wait. Also with that being said any gunsmith of that caliber is going to be 1 year plus wait. The people that I have spoken to who own one all say that they flat out work and I prefer the aesthetics of his pistols. Ted Yost is another great smith and I have a 1911 with him waiting as well I would not hesitate to deal with either they are both great to work with but both will have a wait.

salelcid, Billy Rao and simonp like this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Any world class gunsmith is going to have a long wait, if a gunsmith has no wait time there’s a reason and walk away. The smiths who do exceptional work are high in demand these days.

Just buy another gun to enjoy while you wait for your dream gun to be built.

13. hyespeed

hyespeed Active Member

Sep 13, 2017
    If you can I would find a series 70 repro they’re in the 900 dollar range and seem to be the preferred base gun for most smiths plus if you were to ever sell it Custom’s on colts seem to carry their value

AJP and simonp like this.
  14. AJP

AJP Active Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I spoke with Jason a couple times while deciding who I was going to have build my custom. Ultimately I didn't go with him but he was great to talk and is a great source of knowledge. He is still in the top 2 of who I would consider for another build, but as others have said, be prepared for a 5 digit bill and multiple year wait.

I think Hyespeed brings up a good point. For a full custom in this price range I would ditch the Springfield and pickup 70 series Colt. I know it sucks to consider potential resale value, but fact of the matter is a Colt based gun will sell easier and for more "likely quite a lot more" than a Springer.

hyespeed and simonp like this.
  15. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Who did you go with and what was your build? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

16. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 12, 2016
    I've spoken to Jason on the phone inquiring about some holster info. Phone rung twice and he picked up. I was a bit taken back at first. Like wow, I'm talking to one of the best there has ever been. He was super friendly and informative. Seemed like a pretty chill guy doing his thing and loving it.

17. AJP

AJP Active Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Ted Yost.

It wasn't an easy decision and both of them can build my idea of the perfect 1911. The Yost Signature Grade/ Heirloom Signature grade on a Colt is as good as it gets in my book, they knock it out of the park on every little detail.

Ultimately I went with Ted because some of my earliest memories of firearm enthusiasm can be traced back to the Yost Bonitz 1* 1911's, which I fault for getting me obsessed with 1911's in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    salelcid, Billy Rao, cwoods and 2 others like this.
  18. hyespeed

hyespeed Active Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Same here the first custom 1911 I remember seeing and my blew my mind was a Ted Yost (I’m not that old) so I’m happy to have a hi power built by him and look forward to my 1911 later this year. I have over a year for the Burton but I am equally excited for it, in my opinion these two smiths are the epitome of custom 1911s.

salelcid, Billy Rao and AJP like this.
  19. green338

green338 No way Jose

Mar 1, 2013

It's a 4 digit bill, not a 5 digit bill!

Stentor and AJP like this.
  20. AJP

AJP Active Member

Jun 15, 2017
    You are right, it definitely starts in the 4 digits, but in talking to him, low 5 digits is not uncommon.

On a side note, your Colt posted above is gorgeous!

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted