Does Anyone Here Own a Stan Chen Custom ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Lou1, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I’ve been toying with the idea of ordering a full on Stan Chen Custom. I would love to know if anyone has one and if so was it worth it ? My understanding is that his guns are in the $10k range with a several year wait list after you make a substantial down payment. I have never seen even one of his guns for resale so that alone leads me to believe they must be truly exceptional. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

simonp and Steve Owens like this.
  2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I don't personally own one. But I've handled several and have a few clients who own them. Every one I've seen from Stan has been excellent. And he's a super nice person as well, which is a plus!

3. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    Thanks for the response. I’ve never even had the opportunity to see one in person.

Joe C likes this.
  4. CBlack

CBlack Inquisitive

Sep 20, 2013
    Got to handle one at SHOT and meet Stan
    Amazing piece and fantastic guy.

But I've heard his list is closed. A friend tried to get on it less than a year ago and was told that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lou1 likes this.
  5. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Man I would love one, but out of my price range. He does do some metal work still for people so I might go that way but the quoted turn around is 6-9 months. Might need to take a trip down to his shop sometime.

Lou1 likes this.
  6. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    67E99546-8D1D-47E2-8C8A-34AB4397590E.jpeg
    Tell your friend to check back every now and then. This is from his website and it looks like his list open and closes randomly.

boatdoc and FWoo45 like this.
  7. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    The price definitely gives me pause but it appears that only a $1k deposit is needed, then 50% once he starts your build with the remainder due upon completion. Given that the wait time is somewhere around four to five years I figured I could just let my gun fund build while I was waiting.

8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Everything I have seen from Mr. Chen is top notch. I have installed hi s Gen II Magwells, as well as his maxi-bevel mainspring housings, and his parts are exceptional to say the least.. Some of the after and before thought put into these parts gives you just a glimpse of not only his talent but, his creativity.. Upon installing these parts I find they will fit exceptionally well to a newer gun with some relatively tight tolerances and specs, as well into guns that might be a little less picky with their tolerances. It's kind of something that has to be witnessed and experienced both at the same time... Suffice it to say between Him, Ted Yost, Chuck Rogers, and not to leave ou t some of the newer Smiths in the last decade. I find all of these men to be people who are passionate about their craft, and their customers..

boatdoc, FWoo45 and Lou1 like this.
  9. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    I started my love affair with the 1911 with the standard Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, Sigs, etc. Then I progressed into semi customs such as Baers, EB’s, Nighthawks. Now I am thinking that I would like to try something truly special.

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I have one being built and I do not call or bother him about it lol. The last time we spoke this spring he was not taking on any more work then had a waiting list 5 years long and he said no point in taking on anything until he got the backlog worked down a bit. He has a list to get on the list. :) Hope you are a young man because he is very popular and a one man show on the Smithing part of his business. Very sharp guy in general.

boatdoc, simonp, Steve Owens and 2 others like this.
  11. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    Hmm....Do you consider 49 young ? I may have to set my sights a little lower. Thank you very much for your input. I may just call him every year or so just in case there’s a shot of getting on the pre-list. Congratulations on making the list !

12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well I am no Stan Chen, But I would be honored if you might consider me building you a Custom 1911, I have just opened up shop, but was doing as a Hobby for quite awhile before doing so.. I am very passionate about the platform and very picky with my work. I do not have a ton of fancy machinery and do a lot of stuff still by hand.. So somethings as far as some of the more fancy aesthetics are out of my scope of capabilities but I have a pretty good reputation here thus far.. And have plenty of repeat customers.. You can check out some of my most recent work here as well as some current things I am working on at the moment..

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/integrity-arms-photo-gallery.58879/page-3#post-907137

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Then again I thoroughly understand wanting to wait on one of the masters in the industry as well. Would love to have a Stan Chen, or a Chuck Rogers built pistol myself... But, probably won't happen in my life time..

14. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well that is a good question. Realistically you will be in your mid to late 50's before you take delivery. With the high end builders it is just this way rifles, shotguns or pistols. I have Zero Patience BUT had to learn more about waiting about custom built firearms or I would be in the Looney Bin. One key is establishing long relationships with your Smiths.... Stan Chen is by far the youngest Smith who does work for me or who I have work being done currently by.

Lou1 likes this.
  15. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    I’m ok with that. I told my wife that it looked like if I ever got a Stan Chen 1911 I might be sixty before it happened.

Steve Owens and Busa Dave like this.
  16. 68camaro

68camaro Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    I was on Stan's waitlist for over three years when I bailed out. Stan's a great guy but it is a very long wait, my focus changed during that time. He refunded my deposit with zero problems, he felt bad as I did.

If you don't mind the wait I'd get you're deposit in and follow-up once a year to see how things are going. His guns are amazing, nothing like them IMHO. His communication was great, very honest, a true craftsman and gentleman.

Steve Owens, FWoo45 and Lou1 like this.
  17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    5 years plus and $10,000? I’ll have to pass on that thanks. If I was younger, wealthier and handled one of his guns maybe but at this point I can’t fathom the wait or the cost.

I would be curious to see some range reports on his guns though, live vicariously;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve Owens and Lou1 like this.
  18. green338

green338 No way Jose

Mar 1, 2013
    Chen is not the only one in this price range coupled with 5+ wait time.

Joe C, AJP and Steve Owens like this.
  19. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Who else? Roger’s, Burton and Christiansen are sub 10k - I believe Yost is as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve Owens likes this.
  20. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Yost might be the most “affordable” of those listed and have the shortest weight. I think he showed 12-18 months on his build board when I was in his shop last summer.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted