does anyone remember the LLama?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Just Terry, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    My friend bought a new LLama 1911 in 1974 with a box of ammo and holster for $60. This was back when Colt 1911`s were rare to find . Come to think of it,any decent handgun was hard to find at that time. He shot it quite a bit,but dont remember if her had any issues with it or not.Not exactly a stellar handgun by today`s standards.......... th.jpeg

KS95B40, pcso13, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.

2. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I recall seeing those guns around in the early 1980s. It's a Spanish company, no?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I remember Llama well, well enough that I wouldn't buy one of their autos. However, their revolvers were pretty decent guns, I picked up this barely used Super Comanche .44mag for a song last year at a LGS.
    [​IMG]

KS95B40, gaijin, Just Terry and 5 others like this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Llama were made in Spain by a company named Gabilondo y Urresti. All of their 1911 style firearms are varients of the 1911 with less than 50% of the parts being interchangeable, unlike the Argentinian DGFM-FMAP Sistema pistols, which are true clones. They track more along the lines of the Ballestero - Molina Argentinian pistols in terms of interchangeability.

Wikipedia has a pretty good write up on them. Here is an excerpt.

"Llama Firearms, officially known as Llama-Gabilondo y Cia SA, was a Spanish arms company founded in 1904 under the name Gabilondo and Urresti. ... Llama manufactured moderate-priced revolvers and self-chambering pistols in a bewildering variety of models."

They made some interesting 1911 varients in the years between WWI and WWII. I have been fortunate enough to pick up a few along the way. The model your friend bought looks like a mid 1970's Model IX-A or IX-B. The A model has an internal extractor, where the B model they switched to an external extractor. I own an IX-A, an it is a really interesting piece.

KS95B40, pcso13 and Just Terry like this.
  5. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I had one of the smaller framed.22LR. Pistols that was a great little gun.one of my buddies liked it so much I gave it to him. Kind of miss it sometimes!

Just Terry and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Here are a couple of my earlier Llama's manufactured between 1933 and 1941. Their standard caliber back then was 9mm Largo, a 9x23 round very similar to .38 ACP.

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 001.JPG

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 009.JPG

Llama Extra (Model VII) 1911 - 008.JPG

Llama Extra (Model VII) 1911 - 004.JPG

Llama Model V - 001.JPG

KS95B40, gaijin, joerockhead and 2 others like this.
  7. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The top models, the Llama Extras, are considered "long slides" with 5.5" barrels.

Here is are a couple pictures of my entire "herd of Llama's"

View attachment 207395

The Model IX-A, the only .45 ACP I have, is featured below.

Llama Collection - 002.JPG

Looking closer at your friends gun, it looks like it might be a B due to the two-piece slide stop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  8. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Llama was the US brand name for Gabilondos. The European market got Rubys and Taulers.

A friend has a Llama 87 which owes nothing to 1911, it locks up like a Beretta.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  9. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    While Wikipedia has a pretty good write up on the older Llama's, if you want to go REALLY deep down the rabbit hole, check out this site.

https://carbinesforcollectors.com/llamapage.html

I have corresponded with it's author. One of my guns, the Model IV, he has only seen once in the US other than my example.

My Model IV is unique as it's original barrel was rechambered for 9mm Luger at the factory it is believed.

The stamping, while crudely aligned, is the correct font.

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 020.JPG

pcso13 likes this.
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I had one, a long time ago. Used to carry it on motorcycle trips.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    How do you rechamber a 9mm Largo to Luger? Nonte bushing?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I recall that Llama was one of the few (perhaps only?) handgun brands that the local Wal-Mart carried about 20-plus years ago before getting out of the handgun business entirely.

I’ve never owned one but considered it a while back - nice pics and history in this thread!

pcso13 and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Barrel sleeve. You can see the outline of the reaming and the sleeve insert in these photos. A few extra shots of 9mm Largo and Luger rounds in chamber.

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 028.JPG

9mm Largo

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 021.JPG

9mm Luger

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 024.JPG

Llama (Model IV) 1911 - 035.JPG

KS95B40, pcso13 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    I have a good friend that did the same . . . LOL

wrmiller likes this.
  15. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Interesting, a full chamber sleeve, not a Nonte bushing.

I read of an American bullseye gunsmith who did that to accurize a Colt .38 Super instead of the tedious conversion to .38 Special.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I still have a couple Micro Max double stack (subcompacts)

1 is NIB and the other has nothing but FTE/FTF issues and has yet to have emptied a mag.

[​IMG]

Then I have this NIB 9MM ordered by the King Hussein for the pilots of the Royal Jordanian Air Force. When he died the contract was canceled and Llama was supposed to have destroyed the pistol that were then produced.....came with 2 serial numbered mags to match the SN on the pistol, Royal Crest.

[​IMG]

Karsten

17. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Yes

18. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

I saw that listing on GB. Congrats.

19. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Which listing....I have had all 3 of these for some 15 maybe 17 years but I did buy them on GB,

Karsten

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted