1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I was doing a quick research for a study on guns that I'm doing and I found a reference to Cincinnati Ohio having their own gun restrictions enacted.

Ohio has full preemption of gun laws, and this was confirmed by the Ohio Supreme Court that localities can't enact any gun laws, only the state legislature can from what I've read and what the NRA website says regarding state gun laws.

Just be certain, is anyone from Ohio? If so does Cincinnati have any draconian gun laws or are gun laws preempted by the state, and I just misunderstood what I read?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The place I have worked the last 20 years is in Cincinnati and there is nothing different going on in Cincinnati that I know of that's different from the rest of the state of Ohio.
Alright thanks friend. Just needed to clarify.

I am making a research project soon about guns that uses actual facts. I must've misunderstood what I read.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Dave said. I was born and raised in Cincinnati. No different than any other part of the state. You can open carry if that's your thing. Unlike in Florida where you can't.
I have a friend in Florida. You can open carry only on private property, your place of business or while engaged in and traveling to and from lawful target shooting/hunting/other lawful shooting activities.

Sorry, this is useless knowledge I have collected form all my studies.

Also I just found a news article which completely clarified everything for me.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you really help. thanks for answering :)

And yes, open carry is my thing. Texas passed an open carry law in 2016 expanding open carry so you can carry everywhere so long as you have an open Cary permit.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,737 Posts
Didn’t Cincinnati just pass their own bump stock ban along with Columbus!? The NRA and buckeye firearms association have or are filing lawsuits. They had to do this in Clyde Ohio when they tried to ban guns in public parks. Ohio is an OC state and I just saw this tonight at Ohio Bike Week in Sandusky! Ended up leaving mine in the car safe as I wanted a couple beers.
3FAC3E24-E5EE-47AE-AE7F-F344A6F06ED4.jpeg

·
Failed all therapy
3,155 Posts
I have a sister who lives there, a daughter who just graduated from a university there and my parents live just north of Cincinnati. I have carried and will carry everywhere in Cincinnati, especially downtown. They can KMA.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,282 Posts
I work in the greater Cincinnati area. I end up inside the city limits quite a bit. I don't advertise that I carry, but I do. Some local prosecutor might like to make a name for him/herself by making the process the punishment. I haven't read the preemption statute yet. I would like to find out if those that break that law can be held civilly and criminally liable.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I have a friend in Florida. You can open carry only on private property, your place of business or while engaged in and traveling to and from lawful target shooting/hunting/other lawful shooting activities.

Sorry, this is useless knowledge I have collected form all my studies.

Also I just found a news article which completely clarified everything for me.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you really help. thanks for answering :)

And yes, open carry is my thing. Texas passed an open carry law in 2016 expanding open carry so you can carry everywhere so long as you have an open Cary permit.
Texas does not have a "open carry permit".

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I work in the greater Cincinnati area. I end up inside the city limits quite a bit. I don't advertise that I carry, but I do. Some local prosecutor might like to make a name for him/herself by making the process the punishment. I haven't read the preemption statute yet. I would like to find out if those that break that law can be held civilly and criminally liable.
I've done in depth study of these laws. Ohio's preemption laws say the state legislature has the exclusive authority to regulate the carry, storage, ownership/purchase/sale of firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories/components/supplies. And no local government may regulate any of this accept they may regulate the unsafe discharge of a firearm, and carrying of firearms in city halls, official political meeting/rallies and secure facilities.

So yes, I think you'd have a criminal liability case :)

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Yes, sorry for the wording. But you still need a permit to open carry. A concealed carry permit will do. I don't think they issue permits specifically for open carry.
Now that is a correct statement. As a general FYI here the State has 2 different notifications that business owners have to post to prohibit carry on the premises. One is specific to open carry the other covers both CCL and open carry.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that is a correct statement. As a general FYI here the State has 2 different notifications that business owners have to post to prohibit carry on the premises. One is specific to open carry the other covers both CCL and open carry.
A 30-06 sign, right?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts

PC §30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN.

a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:

(1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter

411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and

(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a

concealed handgun was forbidden.

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the

property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice

to the person by oral or written communication.

(c) In this section:

(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).

(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).

(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the

following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license

holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H,

Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this

property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English

and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in

height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a

fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it

is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license

holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by

Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which

the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity

and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited

from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is

volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.

---

Last amended by:

Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1143 (H.B. 435), Sec. 8, eff. Sept. 1, 2017.

PC §30.07. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH AN OPENLY CARRIED HANDGUN.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:

(1) openly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter

411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and

(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder openly

carrying a handgun was forbidden.

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the

property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice

to the person by oral or written communication.

(c) In this section:

(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).

(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).

(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to

LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN LAWS

the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English

and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in

height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at

each entrance to the property.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a

fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it

is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license

holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by

Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on

which the license holder openly carries the handgun is owned or leased by a

governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license

holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

(f) It is not a defense to prosecution under this section that the handgun was

carried in a shoulder or belt holster.

(g) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is

volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.

---

Last amended by:

Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1143 (H.B. 435), Sec. 9, eff. Sept. 1, 2017.

·
I like this place !
673 Posts
I am proud to say I live in the burbs outside Cincinnati and in Butler County where Sheriff Jones is a kick ass 2nd amendment supporter. He’s been on national TV a few times, recently for offering free CCW courses to any teacher in Butler County.

As for Ohio, lots of places posted, but preemption is alive and well. Cities cannot override State laws.

Come and enjoy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am proud to say I live in the burbs outside Cincinnati and in Butler County where Sheriff Jones is a kick ass 2nd amendment supporter. He’s been on national TV a few times, recently for offering free CCW courses to any teacher in Butler County.

As for Ohio, lots of places posted, but preemption is alive and well. Cities cannot override State laws.

Come and enjoy.
We just moved several months ago from Fairfield Township in Butler County. And I agree, Sheriff Jones is a kick ass Sheriff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Come and enjoy.
Nice. I may consider Ohio, as I was considering moving as of late because my state has no preemption on gun laws.

Sounds like a great state.

·
Registered
396 Posts
CCW laws are a little wonky around the requirement to retreat vs. stand your ground, but from a purchasing and restrictions perspective, it is great here. I live in Montgomery County (Dayton area).

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,103 Posts
Keep in mind, that as yet, we are not allowed to have the shorty shotgun-like weapons, such as the Mossburg Shockwave. State definition of a SBS does not match the Federal definition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts