Does Dry Firing Damage a 1911??

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ericskennard, May 5, 2016.

1. ericskennard

ericskennard Member

Dec 22, 2015
    On one of the other channels there is a new thread on Dry Firing 1911's. There are some interesting comments. All say it is okay. I searched 1911 Addicts but saw no thread related to this.

First let me say I have been handling, shooting, and carrying 1911's since the 1970's. I have had the opportunity to shoot almost every other kind of pistol, even carried a few of them for short times. The 1911 is my pistol of choice. I was taught long ago not to drop the slide hard without something in the magazine to slow the slide down. I have been told that dry firing can damage the sear and hammer hooks. So I never slam the slide unless it is picking up a round.

But I will admit that I have dry fired 1911's gazillions of times in the past. I never noticed any damage to internal parts. I have broken rifle firing pins that were two piece. I have also seen titanium rifle firing pins fracture. I do use snap caps in 1911's and rifle now.

So what is the professional opinion of you addicts out there?

[For full disclosure and before someone brings it up, I own Harbour Arms. We make snap caps for special target rifle calibers and some pistol calibers too. ]

RoverSig and Rizzo like this.
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Doesn't hurt at all. Don't slam the slide on an empty chamber though.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    What Ed said.......^^^^

Fred_G, Tex1911, B_RAD and 1 other person like this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I'll second this emotion.

ronin11, Tex1911 and B_RAD like this.
  5. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Kuhnhausen says to limit the amount of dry firing in the shop manual.
    Bob had us buy Kuhnhausen's books so I'll be happy for him to shed some light on this topic.

Mike A, Rizzo, B_RAD and 2 others like this.
  6. tarheeldoc

tarheeldoc Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I don't think it is a written rule but this is what i have always heard. I dry fire mine a lot doing drills like keeping a dime balanced on the end of the muzzle. A guy at the shooting range wanted to see one of My Alchemy Baers . When i handed it to him he racked the slide and let it fly on a empty chamber. I wanted to take him out back and hang him from the flag pole.

Eddie D, Rizzo, Babboonbobo and 8 others like this.
  7. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Doesn't do a thing to a 1911 dry fire away.. But don't drop the slide on and empty chamber.

Rizzo, Fred_G, Tex1911 and 1 other person like this.
  8. tarheeldoc

Jul 22, 2014

9. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I assume you are referring to dry firing as racking the slide and letting it go on an empty chamber?

I ask because dry firing to me is thumb cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

10. tarheeldoc

Jul 22, 2014
    Dry Fire is ok, I do it a lot. But Slaming the slide on a Empty chamber is a no no.

Rizzo, jcc7x7 and Kip like this.
  11. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Agreed

Rizzo, azpoolguy and Kip like this.
  12. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    No, it doesn't hurt a 1911 to dry fire it. It does hurt your ability to shoot properly if you don't dry fire though.

Uncle Bob, Rizzo, nod and 11 others like this.
  13. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    That would have set me off big time. If a person I don't know well, I tell them not to do it, strangers never handle my firearms.

Rizzo, Kip and 1911fanatic like this.
  14. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Same here. It's a good policy IMO.

David

Kip likes this.
  15. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I just ask why they would want their prints on some one else's gun...and mention I don't ever clean it!!!!

Rizzo and Babboonbobo like this.
  16. dav2no1

dav2no1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Never heard any bad things about dry firing 1911s, but I know some manuals address it.
    You have a website? Was looking for some snap caps for other guns. Any discounts for us special guys?

Rizzo and Kip like this.
  17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Special??? Shhh don't tell. Hey my short-bus is here!!!

Uncle Bob and Rizzo like this.
  18. dav2no1

dav2no1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Lol!

Rizzo and Kip like this.
  19. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    There is an older post below(dry fire mag out/in) that Joe C answered any questions. I dry fire mine a lot,not sure if I'm into gazillions yet!!!

Rizzo likes this.
  20. ericskennard

ericskennard Member

Dec 22, 2015
    It takes about 40 years to work up to a gazillion dry fires. Yes to me, dry firing means cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger. As we know, you do not need to manipulate the slide to do that. But please make sure your chamber does not have a live round in it. You don't want to join the I shot the TV dry firing club.

Tnj1911, Eddie D, Rizzo and 4 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted