1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I might break down and pickup a Staccato C2, possibly the DUO. Most guns always seem to sell significantly under MSRP, like most cars.

Do STI's break this pattern, or is it there in such demand recently?

Where does everyone purchase from?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm anti STI do to quality concerns for the last several years but
no one I know who has bought one in the last year paid retail.
Most of the guys around me buy through
Greg Trass
Village guns
Victor NY
Tell him Neil gave you the info
Sorry don't have his number with me

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't want to open a can of worms, but care to point me to some threads, whether here or on other forums about the quality issues.....I haven't seen that yet.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Go to any of the competition sites Benos etc
and look up how many cracked slides, frames etc and STI telling people no warranty because of what ever. When they have warrantied guns its 6-9 month wait.

They also just changed their warranty. Also some foolishness about if you take a staccato grip off it voids the warranty etc. I wonder how you're supposed to detail strip the gun for cleaning and maintenance etc. That should be on their website or confirmed by an email to them.

I gave up on them when they wouldn't warranty several slides that cracked on customer built guns. 3-5 years ago. Also a Steel master that had a cracked frame they did warranty it and it took the customer 8 months to get the frame replaced.

Reactions: WC145

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,905 Posts
Go to any of the competition sites Benos etc
and look up how many cracked slides, frames etc and STI telling people no warranty because of what ever. When they have warrantied guns its 6-9 month wait.

They also just changed their warranty. Also some foolishness about if you take a staccato grip off it voids the warranty etc. I wonder how you're supposed to detail strip the gun for cleaning and maintenance etc. That should be on their website or confirmed by an email to them.

I gave up on them when they wouldn't warranty several slides that cracked on customer built guns. 3-5 years ago. Also a Steel master that had a cracked frame they did warranty it and it took the customer 8 months to get the frame replaced.
I don't know much about 2011s, the only one I have is a 27 year old TRI race gun. I've been kicking around the idea of getting another but it seems like STI has a corner on the market, particularly for 2011s geared towards carry. Is there another manufacturer you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't think the criticism of STI on Benos is particularly universal. I lurk on Benos because I am not a formal competition shooter, but because I have some STIs I pay close attention to threads on that subject. My impression is that the angst over the company is the same as you hear on this forum -- where the heck is the company going with all the name and model changes, particularly the termination of popular models. When STIs go up for sale on Benos or here, they seem to sell. I have been griping somewhat about STI on this forum for the above reasons but not because of build quality.

The thing with the warranty I do not understand. As much as folks talk about the warranty, the talk means nothing, only what the warranty says in black and white. I do not understand why they are making an issue about Staccato C grips because I do not own a C. I would not buy one because I have a couple of compact 1911s I would carry if I wanted to carry a compact single stack. Again, that is a model design issue.

·
Money talks but here it only says buh bye!!
415 Posts
My understanding is that the voiding of the warranty for removing the grip relates to the single stack Staccato's (C & R) due the use of epoxies in attaching the grip module to the receiver.

Some are taking that to mean all the grip modules, which isn't the case.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I can attest that STI's warranty is still intact. I have my Tactical SS 5.0 TR in 9mm at STI right now. Had some issues with FTRB and I sent them detailed pics of my pistol.

They sent me a UPS NDA prepaid label and have provided me with updates when it arrived, when it has moved into evaluation, etc.

I am just waiting on what they believe the issue is. I mailed it last friday and it arrived in Georgetown on Monday morning.

I'll keep you posted. I have 11 STIs so I am glad they are honoring their commitment with regards to warranty.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My understanding is that the voiding of the warranty for removing the grip relates to the single stack Staccato's (C & R) due the use of epoxies in attaching the grip module to the receiver.

Some are taking that to mean all the grip modules, which isn't the case.
That makes more sense.

·
415 Posts
Yeah I'm waiting for my pre-ordered C2. High demand and low availability right now make it very unlikely to get a discount on them in the near term.

I paid MSRP for mine.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I’ve been buying STI’s for many years. For the first few I paid MSRP as they have a pretty good hand on their retailers. Nothing wrong with that, the flip side of that model is they overprice their guns so the retailers can sell them at a discount so you feel like you’re getting a good deal. Now that I have relationships with sellers I usually get a hundred or two off.

I’ve always felt that STI’s have been underpriced for the quality your getting (sone of the newer more expensive models being the exception). So paying MSRP is still a good deal.

·
415 Posts
I’ve always felt that STI’s have been underpriced for the quality your getting (sone of the newer more expensive models being the exception). So paying MSRP is still a good deal.
This is great to hear, especially from someone with such a large sample of guns owned over an extended period of time.

Descartian thanks for sharing that, it makes feel even better about my purchase. If only the dang thing would show up!

In all practicality, I'm probably looking at another month before I get it in my grubby little hands! :bang:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Update. Just got a call from STI that my 5.0 Tactical SS TR (9mm) is on its way back to me. They said it runs great now and they had to work on the slide to frame fit. We'll see what is actually on the return invoice as far as work completed. Mailed it out on 2/14 and it is leaving Georgetown today. Great turn around time and they kept me updated the entire time via email.

I would say that STIs warranty is still very much intact.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I’ve only needed STI’s warranty department a couple of times but as far as I remember I never received a work completed invoice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My last email from STI:

"Hello from STI,

Your pistol has been repaired and is now on it's way back to you. Comments of what the Gunsmith did to repair the pistol will be on the packing slip shipped with the pistol. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

STI Customer Service
Warranty Department"

·
Registered
483 Posts
FWIW........I sent an STI back for warranty "repair" a couple months back. I bought a DS Tactical H.O.S.T. in 45 acp, that was NOS at the time from a dealer. It had sights that did not Co-Witness with the RMR that I put on it. I called STI and they said "Send it back to us"........After two weeks I called to check and was told the sights needed were not currently produced as the pistol H.O.S.T. system was changing. (to the DUO) They made/found the necessary sights and installed them. They replaced the sights with taller sights that co-witnessed with the RMR.
No Charge.......and the pistol was gone about three weeks total. I thought they did a GREAT Job. JMHO.
TR
P.S. I got an invoice back with the pistol stating they replaced front and rear sights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts