1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it hurt to drop a round into the chamber when the slide is locked back and then let the slide travel forward to properly set the extractor on the rim and make it ready to fire? I am thinking this may be what I can do to avoid set back, but I don't know if it will cause other problems.

Brown Product Yellow Ammunition Glass bottle

These are the three worst rounds from loading and unloading I noticed a while back, and was just wondering about maybe just dropping a round in to avoid setback if possible.

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they factory ammunition or your reloads ?
Factory, after many unloadings and rechamberings. The worst one wasn't actually chambered, heaven forbid, it was close to like the other two and setback like it is now when the pistol jammed trying to load it.

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is bad for the extractor. That isn't the way it's supposed to work. The rim slides in under it feeding from the magazine, and the other way is pretty hard on the tip of the extractor , the hook part.
I guess I'll just have to not unload so often. Thanks. Just have to go shoot them after a while.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Not a good idea. Feed from the mag to the chamber. Don,t bypass the extractor. If your having that much setback you have another issue. Like ramp throating or such.

·
Banned
824 Posts
Agreed. Better to just keep your carry/defensive gun loaded and keep it stored when not in use. If you do have to unload it for cleaning or something, put the previously chambered round at the bottom of the mag so you're not rechambering the same round over and over. I like to clean my gun once a month even if it's not used and that's what I do.

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a good idea. Feed from the mag to the chamber. Don,t bypass the extractor. If your having that much setback you have another issue. Like ramp throating or such.
No, these were the only rounds I have noticed it ever happening too. I was just thinking out loud I guess. Putting the loaded round at the bottom of the mag is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Once in a while if I set my crimp die incorrectly, I will have an issue with bullet setback. I either re-set the die, of just use a Lee FCD, that will solve the issue for me. But if you're having that issue with factory loads, as said, there may be another issue. Angle of feed ramp, magazine issues, etc...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Repeated load/unload will do that to a round - that's why most PD's now say no more than 6 load/unload cycles on a round. After that, set 'em aside for range day. Me, I don't unload my guns - if I do, that chambered round gets set aside for range day.

Reactions: miketx

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info folks. And it's not really a setback issue, the rounds pictured were the only ones I have ever noticed. They had been loaded and unloaded a lot.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Yes it is bad to let the extractor snap over the case rim.

Try easing the slide forward to not have the bullet slam into the feed ramp as it exits the magazine. Do a quick press check to make sure the round chambered and press the back of the slide with your thumb to make sure it is fully into battery.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
This is a concern for me as well. I only unload my gun to put in range ammo 1-3 times a week. Every week though and I could have a issue. I cycle the rounds at the top of and between my 2 carry mags. I can't buy anymore ammo here in ca and I have only been rolling my own range ammo so far. I'll either need to buy another gun so i can buy ammo at the same time, or start squishing out my own carry ammo.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
This is a concern for me as well. I only unload my gun to put in range ammo 1-3 times a week. Every week though and I could have a issue. I cycle the rounds at the top of and between my 2 carry mags. I can't buy anymore ammo here in ca and I have only been rolling my own range ammo so far. I'll either need to buy another gun so i can buy ammo at the same time, or start squishing out my own carry ammo.
Load your own

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thought y'all were allowed to buy a limited number of rounds/month?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
You just have to go thru a Dealer and background check. I buy a lot. My C/Card proves it. A hassle though. Not like the old days.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Thought y'all were allowed to buy a limited number of rounds/month?
I'd have to go get the new "real ID" then run a background check and ammo prices here are through the roof because of the added BS dealers have to do (BG checks, locking up ammo.) I usually just snag a couple boxes when I get a new gun. I've been packing a .45 almost exclusively but I shoot it in every class i take as well so unloading/loading twice a week on average.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts