Does it matter to you...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metaloy, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Do you put more value on or would it bring a higher price if a 1911 conversion was built on a Colt Government model or the manufacturers frames and slides? Curious.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Do you mean like Colt vs SA, LB, EB, etc..? Ron

3. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Yes a build on a Colt vs. a build on a Wilson or Les Baer...

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nope.. I don't think I would.. Ron

5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
  6. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Oops I did not grasp the concept, silly me

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    As long as the frame was from a name manufacturer,I wouldn't care.(and as long as the name wasn't ESSEX or Taurus that is! )

DAT85

8. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    OK. Let me clarify it some more...

A high end custom conversion on a Colt or Wilson, Les Baer, Caspian, etc. Examples...An 80's model Wilson Supergrade on a Colt. Novak custom on a Colt. A Richard Heinie gun built on a Colt Gov. Would they/should they bring more money?

9. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I think I understand now. You're saying Bill Wilson, for example, does a "supergrade customization" on a Colt, but back in the day before Wilson had their own brand frames, like a really early "Wilson."

Might be more valuable to a collector. I could see the value of an early pistol, from a renowned pistol smith, being more valuable than one later on, after they have their own brand frames and such.

10. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    A gun with a Colt as a base would be worth more to me, than one built on just a slide/frame combo. Using a Colt just gives it that extra goodness!

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Most believe a Colt, Springfield, Baer, Wilson,.....frames are of a higher quality than
    Remsport or Caspian. Thus more desirable & expensive.

12. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It doesn't matter to me. Once you modify the firearm, all resale value goes out the window unless you are one of the top tier gunsmiths. A modified Colt or a modified Springfield are the same to me. My favorite build is on a Kimber frame if that means anything.

I think what it comes down to for most is that if they are going to buy a custom gun, the wanna see the pony on the side of it.

I think there are sources for frames and slides other than Colt that are just as good or maybe even better.

13. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    I would prefer a Colt over a Caspian.
    LB or Wilson would be great too.

14. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    It's an intriguing question. I'm not sure if I'd value a gun more just because it's a Colt, but I will say that the make of the gun (even if it's tweaked to the point of total absence of its original configuration) matters to me.

For example, even if Chuck Rogers did his magic on a custom gun, if I saw it was a RIA to begin with, I'd be like, "Hey, wait a minute now." Even if he can change it enough to have it not matter at all, it's a weird emotional thing for some people.

I wouldn't be surprised if I read that Colt's has had a startling increase in sales for 2011, because of the 99th anniversary. A name does mean something, and many American consumers are "name brand" sort of buyers.

If an up-and-coming pistolsmith posted examples of his work, a full house custom built on an existing gun, I think we'd still notice what the original gun was.

All things being equal, I think I'd have a different emotional reaction to it if it said "Charles Daly" on its slide, instead of "Springfield Armory."

Good discussion.

Andy

15. Rimcrew

Rimcrew Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I wouldn't pay an extra penny for the prancing pony on the side.

16. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I wouldn't personally care, but I'm sure many people do. I would venture to guess Colt, Springfield, and Caspian have the most custom guns that are built-up by independent smiths.

That said, have you seen Joe's collection of Chuck Kimbers? VERY nice collection, but I bet there are plenty of people who wouldn't touch them because they are on a Kimber frame/slide. Are they crazy? You beat your ass!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted