Does size matter?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by paid4c4, Feb 16, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    A group of us has a Wednesday afternoon shoot off. There is usually 6-8 of us and we shoot teams until the best man wins.
    We all shoot .45's and most use 1911's. The last two weeks I've shoot better with my 4 inch Wilson RDP than my 5 inch CQB. I know that scientifically you should get better accuracy with a 5 inch than a 4 but that hasn't been the case the last couple of weeks. Maybe size really doesn't make a difference.
    Bill

2. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I tend to shoot "new"/unfamiliar Compacts and Sub-Compacts better than I shoot "new"/unfamiliar full-sized guns.

Simple reason: I'm paying more attention to the basics, when I use the smaller guns, because I'm thinking that they probably won't shoot as well. :wink:

3. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    My wife says it doesn't matter but I don't believe her.
    :focus:

I've never shot the shorter barrelled 1911's better than the full size guns.

4. flea

flea Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I'd say it would depend on the pistol. My Springfield TRP is insanely accurate however, my 4.25 Commander Guncrafter Bobtail is just as accurate.

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Says who?

6. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    It is generally claimed that the slightly longer sight radius, combined with a little heavier slide and barrel (both longer than a commander length) of a 5" gun will allow most users to shoot better. And, in many shooter's experience (mine included) that is the case. Of course there are exceptions and each of us can have a good day with the shorter guns. I think that is attributable to what TSiWRX mentioned above, i.e. paying a little more attention.

I went through the 250 course at Gunsight in Dec. 1977, only a few months after transferring from uniform to the detectives. I had switched from a 5" GM to the Commander I had been carrying off duty. I thought I should shoot what I was carrying so I went through the 6 days with the alloy framed 4.25" gun. I worked really hard at controlling it and staying on that front sight. Ended up finishing first in the class but I know, with the same concentration and focus I would have done even better with a 5".

YMMV,
    Dave

7. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I shoot Commander length 1911's slightly better because it feels more natural. While I like 5" just as much, they feel long.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted