1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna be a long one, to help you get the idea of what happened today

Ok, let me start off by saying, that I did a google search, and a search here, with no results. only some of the words would stand out, but not my particular question.

i posted this the other day, 1911 Firearm Addicts

ok, so i went back today to try out a new hand grip on my Remington R-1911, to see if i could better center my shots.

well, today was a disaster, i was all over the targets.

in any event, here is what i experienced over the other day, and i need to know if the cold weather temps, had anything to do with these problems today

1) i clean my guns after every range visit

2) i use Hoppes 9 cleaner

3) i use Weapon Shield oil

4) i was using (both days), factory fresh, Blazer 230 gr ammo

5) i have factory OEM, Remington magazines (4 of them)
.......................................................................................................

now, when i know i am going to the range, i take my gun(s) down to the basement, place it (or them) into my range bag, and place the ammo in the bag as well. each gun i have, has it's own personal fabric/foam carry pouch as well.

my basement is not heated, so it can be cold, but not like outside.

the morning i am going to the range, i place the range bag into the trunk of my car, and get to the range, which is about 25 miles, and about 30 minutes away.

of course, the truck is NOT heated.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

ok, the other day, all my mags loaded up with nary a problem, the uplula worked flawlessly

the mags inserted into the magwell, perfectly, and the gun went into battery and fired.

....................................................................................................................................................

today?

the uplula was like sticking to the magazines, and felt real tight.

when i inserted the magazines (each one) into the magwell, they were "tighter"? than usual.

then when i hit the slide release, the slide jammed, and i had to remove the magazine, (each magazine that i wanted to use), and clear the round that fell out. no round would enter the chamber.!!

after a while, the gun, ammo and magazines are still cold mind you, the gun started working.

now believe it or not, it was like 30 degree's this morning, the other morning, it was like 20 degree's.....so it was WARMER today!

.........................................................................................................................................

any of this make any sense?

are the 1911's very finicky on temperatures, even though they are in a range bag? as well as all my guns, being in a separate fabric/foam gun carry case?

the Remington R-1911, is certainly not a high dollar 1911, compared to a S&W, Springfield Armory, nor a Dan Wesson

thanks in advance

·
I’m just here for the 1911’s
3,161 Posts
The cold can make the oil thicken a bit, which slows things down. Had this happen once after leaving my guns in the trunk outside for hours (secured lot). First 5-10 rounds were full of failures with multiple guns but once they warmed up it was all good. Guess it comes down to which oil and how much is applied.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes of his question?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Temperature can and does effect the performance of both firearms and ammunition. The military has studied this extensively at both ends of the spectrum (heat and cold). Normally, you have to be talking about extreme temperature swings, though. As in, taking guns and ammo from room temperature to -20+ temperatures for an extended time period (called cold soaking). The POI will shift, but is generally consistent (not 'all over the target') when the temperature is changed dramatically. But again, we're talking about dramatic temperature shifts, and the ammo has to be given time to change temperatures - think several hours. Changes in altitude also alter the POI of a firearm/ammo system.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have well fitted slides that slow forward slide motion when overlubed with oil when warm.....viscosity changes with temperature..... lighter oil use?
Ammo is temperature sensitive.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ammo was Blazer, FMJ 230 gr. factory fresh.

gun (all my guns) get lubed with Weapon Shield (synthetic hydrocarbons)

today was "warmer" than the other day with the same gun, and shooting was fantastic.

i just sent an email to the owner of Weapon Shield, for the operating temp range of his product, as I cannot find it in a search.

i can now understand the temps affecting the ammo, the other day, when it was colder, than today

might also explain why each magazine was difficult to insert into the magwell? yet each one ejected as normal? magwell is as clean as can be.

all my guns get oiled, and lightly wiped off, so there is no "sopping wet" situations.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes of his question?
yeah sorry but i gave a warning that is was gonna be long, as i had to cover nearly everything and make sure nothing was left out, leaving to the wrong assumptions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For 1911s (and other metal-frame firearms with significant metal-on-metal bearing surfaces, particularly regasrding slide and receiver rail interfaces) I use TW25B on the reciprocation areas, and Weapon Shield or Lucas Extreme Firearm oil on the remaining areas.

On other firearms, particualrly polymer-framed, I prefer Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease on the metal-on-metal reciprocation areas, unless they are of a compact configuration (e.g., a Glock 19); then I'll use the TW25B for the faster reciprocating slides.

I noticed in actual use in cooler temperatures (25-45 degrees) when using the Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 with a 1911 the slide reciprocation was a tad sluggish, although no malfunctions were induced; hence the switch to TW25B.

In an exceptionally cold environment (think sub-zero), I'd likely clean off all viscous lubricants and switch to a molybdenum disulfate dry-film lubricant, such as Dri-Slide.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
378 Posts
Temps can affect the shooter too. I can't shoot well when im cold. Even if im not shivering. I use 0-20 sythecitc motor oil for lube.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
... might also explain why each magazine was difficult to insert into the magwell? yet each one ejected as normal? magwell is as clean as can be.
Metals shrink as temperatures decrease, at least that is what I have been told, but magazines have plenty of play in the grip to account for that.

Were they heavy to insert from the very beginning or only once the magazine engaged the magazine release? If you oiled your mag release like everything else it could account for it, maybe...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Temps can affect the shooter too. I can't shoot well when im cold. Even if im not shivering. I use 0-20 sythecitc motor oil for lube.
inside range, not very warm, not very cold, same as the day before. in fact, i wear a hoodie, under my jacket. i take the jacket off.

and in fact, i like the last lane, as i sweep up my brass, and do not want anyone stepping on it, and that area where i am at.??

the overhead fans are there as well, sucking up the air.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Metals shrink as temperatures decrease, at least that is what I have been told, but magazines have plenty of play in the grip to account for that.

Were they heavy to insert from the very beginning or only once the magazine engaged the magazine release? If you oiled your mag release like everything else it could account for it, maybe...
as i inserted each magazine they were difficult. once "locked in" they were ok, but the cartridges would not chamber, the bullet head, would be like hitting under the feed ramp.

and even when the cartridges would not chamber, each magazine ejected very easily

i made sure, as i loaded the mags, with the uplula, the cartridges were set back up against the "back wall??, into the magazine like they should be

and each magazine is factory Remington, meaning not branded any other company, and i had absolutely no problems like this previously.

i have never lubed the mag release on any of my semi-automatics. 9mm's or the other .45 ACP's besides my 2, 1911's.

when i clean ALL my guns, i run a dry cloth all inside the magwells. only a little bit of powdery residue is there. i never put any lube IN the magwells as well.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
825 Posts
So.... While all of the above is true.. Unless you were using a super high end hand fitted for zero tolerance weapon... Which I believe you said you weren't.... Then a decent 1911 should work in temperatures that you are describing.. They used to torture test 1911's by freezing them in a block of ice, hacking them out, and start firing...They worked... And Its just one of many reasons the 1911 is still one of the most robust handgun systems in use...

But what do I know...

Reactions: Old_Man

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
825 Posts
In case anyone is interested, this is a YouTube video of a 1911 being fired in a -65° environment!! 😲

It's even a Remington R 1911

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The only possible explanation I could "guess at" is that you're using too much lube. Other than the temperature differential, lube appears to be the only other variable (different amount of lube). And since viscosity usually lessens with higher temperatures, I doubt if that's the cause. Metal expansion with higher temps the issue? extremely doubtful, unless something is so thin it's "oil canning" and you, I can't imaging that happening.

·
Registered
89 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts