Doing the Finish (blueing, CCH etc.) of the frame & slide on a self build.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by TheCollector, Dec 9, 2018.

1. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm contemplating doing my own self build (as many others here have done) I have a pretty simple question about doing the finish on it.
    Is it best to do all parts fitting to the frame & slide assemblies and then strip those two items completely down when sending out for the chosen finish? ie: sights, plunger tube, ejector.

Any input, advice &/or suggestions are welcomed.

2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

3. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Ok, I'm a home builder myself and have built 7 so far. So I am no pro and don't present myself as such. However, it has been my experience to get the gun as you want it functionally then proceed to sanding, polishing or blasting then bluing the frame, slide and parts. If nothing else just handling the gun while working on it often creates small issues that need to be addressed in finish prep. Also if you fit a new grip safety, checker the frame, etc that will require work to cleanup and get ready for final finish. Hope this helps. Perhaps one of the pros will come along and clear it all up. Good luck!

4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Prep, fit and complete the build, then finish.

5. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    The finish should be the last step.

6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    If you want CCH, high polish blue and fire blued screws go with Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works. Bobby can do your CCH at lower temperatures.

https://tylergunworks.com/

Please give us a bunch of before, during and after pictures! :grin::grin::grin:

Good luck with your build!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    ZoidMeister, TheCollector and FWoo45 like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    As said above definitely fit/blend all parts first. Certain finishes can add dimensional to the parts, but not the case with bluing.

TheCollector and wcanterbury like this.
  8. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Am I safe to assume that there will be extremely little, if any dimensional growth with a CCH treatment?

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Correct, if I understand the process correctly CCH is a bit different process then straight bluing, but yields like results... Finishes to be aware of are sprayed or dipped finishes in which the finish is applied over the metal which can add dimensionally to a slide stop pin, thumb safety and various other parts...

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Build the gun complete. Shoot 500 rounds through it. Take it apart. Prep for finish. Apply desired finish. Reassemble and shoot 500 rounds.

11. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    ^^This.
    You'll discover if any "tweaking" is required before you have the pistol finished.

Joe C, wcanterbury and TheCollector like this.
  12. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    This. ^^ Build the gun, shoot the gun, tweak the gun, shoot the gun.

Don’t put a finish on a gun that isn’t finished. :)

13. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    I think this idea of a self build is going to come with a double edged sword. (upcoming pun will be intended) The wife is all for me spending the time & dollars to elevate my knowledge and use my handcrafting skills. So... while the funds for the project are free to flow. (within reason) The first side of the very sharp sword is I will probably ruin some $$s worth of parts through "first time mistakes."
    The other edge of the sword is much more worn and/or jagged, but even more threatening to me. It is the side of the sword she has determined would be used to "cut off" (pun, for those who missed it) all funds for gun purchases until this project is complete...
    Her way of insuring another project doesn't start and then die on the vine.
    So PLEASE don't any of you try to temp me with a gun for sale that I can't live without.

wcanterbury likes this.
  14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Unless it's a "parts gun?"

lol.gif pound.gif lol.gif pound.gif lol.gif pound.gif lol.gif pound.gif

15. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    He has tried using that line on me Mr. Zoid!!! and I'll have no more of it. Beware of me Mr. Zoid, be very aware.... as I know where you live! GoG bitch.jpg

Mike Meints, UBOATDOC and wcanterbury like this.
  16. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Then you will have to resort to the ole "carnal knowledge" trick (for research purposes only, of course . . . . . )

TheCollector likes this.
  17. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    If you want to avoid a variety of mistakes I would recommend you check out www.1911university.com. I just finished teaching a class in Florida on Saturday and we'll have the 2019 schedule announced in a few days on the website.

ZoidMeister, TheCollector and gaijin like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted