1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly everyone here is likely aware of this drill and what it is at this point. I wanted to start a running thread that everyone can post pictures of their score and target in. This is not part of the monthly competition but just somewhere for everyone to track their progress.

If you’re not familiar with this drill read this: http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

I’ll start, 4 yards down 1 on the weak hand only dot

Gun Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I guess we reload as needed when engaging 6 & 7, which requires a total of 16 rounds?

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
426 Posts
I dug one of these out last week and shot it for the first time in a long time while working with my Sig P365XL.
I added a little extra stress and gave myself a 5 minute par time, which sounds like plenty of time til you do it. :roflmaro:
I made the par time but only scored a 46 at 3yds. :(

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I ran it at 5 yards because I'm apparently not so good at following instructions.

Text Circle Hardwood Wood stain Recipe

I pulled a shot high on number 4.

I ended up down 2 on number 5 (strong hand only). I pulled two of the shots and then I accidentally shot an extra round because I apparently can't count. So, I'm counting the worst 5 out of the group.

I'm using USPA/IDPA rules for scoring hits; i.e. if the grease mark breaks the line, it's in.

·
just one more
656 Posts
This is one of my favorite drills...and it frustrates me how seldom I "clean" it. Seems somewhere along the way I often drop a shot. In for my next range trip.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is one of my favorite drills...and it frustrates me how seldom I "clean" it. Seems somewhere along the way I often drop a shot. In for my next range trip.
The same for me LOL. Still enjoy the heck out of it and especially the fun of introducing new shooters to it at 3 yards. I suck at following my own advice to run it slowly the first few times when I haven't done it for awhile.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If your range only has 7 yards as the closest distance, has anyone used a
slightly enlarged target? I printed a few on 11x17 but haven’t tried shooting it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
...well...I was in until I ran it....suffice to say: back to the training board, I am....LOL

Reactions: N of 1

·
just one more
656 Posts
Follow up to my earlier posting. Shot this end of last week, forgot to take pics. 2x couldn't clean it either time, 47-48 (don't' remember) and 5 yards, so I ran it again at 3....49. Dropped a shot on the 6-7 transition.

I've run this drill a bunch, used to be a standard on every range trip. I've probably shot it clean less than 5 times. torture indeed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Love Dot Torture. Hate Dot Torture. :D

Trick here is fundamentals are everything: stance; draw; sight alignment; grip; breath; trigger control; trigger control; and trigger control. ;)

It's supposed to be done slowly and deliberately -- not for speed or on the clock. I believe it was the late, great ToddG over at PF who said Dot Torture should be thought of as a test, not a drill, and treated accordingly.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Good test to keep you honest.
It is a PITA when you throw one out and at the close distance it's usually painfully obvious
It just sits there looking at you! LOL

Reactions: Au Jus in Bello

·
Registered
943 Posts
Good test to keep you honest.
It is a PITA when you throw one out and at the close distance it's usually painfully obvious
It just sits there looking at you! LOL
I know, right?

I cringe at misses, and although I shouldn't, not least because folks at the range who don't know Dot Torture look at the miss and how close the target is and (it seems to me in my embarrassment) giggle...but everyone who actually knows Dot Torture wanders over and congratulates just doing it. ;)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Shot it with my new to me 686 revolver.
5yds clean by just stroking the trigger smoothly to get the feel of the new to me revo.
Then shot it with a Carry Optics set up and sprayed stuff everywhere by slapping the trigger like I was mad at it! Ah such is life
Like I said it keeps you honest!!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Shot it with my new to me 686 revolver.
5yds clean by just stroking the trigger smoothly to get the feel of the new to me revo.
Then shot it with a Carry Optics set up and sprayed stuff everywhere by slapping the trigger like I was mad at it! Ah such is life
Like I said it keeps you honest!!!
I love DOT Torture. It’s all about the trigger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shot this for the first time yesterday with an FNS 9C. Had to shoot at 7 yards since that’s the closest distance at my outdoor range. The trigger results in me pulling most shots low and left unless taking my time. I think I’ll change the name to Dot Failure. Ugh. I need to try it with my RO in 45. And also try it at the proper 3 yards. This drill keeps you honest, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, as humbling as it is, DT really needs to be started at three yards and kept there until you can clean up on it consistently, then moved out in one yard increments.
Yeah, I need to pay to shoot it at an indoor range where I can shoot it at 3 yards. Score wouldn’t have been stellar, but much better.

Downside there is no drawing from a holster at the indoor range, so I’ll have to shoot from a low ready. Shouldn’t make much difference since time isn’t a factor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts