1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Supporting Addict
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking about my next 1911 acquisition and felt I should give a double stack a shot. Curious whether other addicts ever had the same urge.

1. Do you own one? If so, would you buy it again if you had to do it over again?

2. I've seen them in 45ACP, 9mm and also .40S&W - any preferences for or reservations against? Especially in .40S&W or caliber other that 45?

3. Like/dislike and why/why not: If you're a purist, and only 45ACP will do, don't hate, but please do mention your reason for or against

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I have always wanted a STI Hex in 9mm. I think one day if I could get to try one I might be inclined to make a purchase ......

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
I have an Armscor double stack in 9mm and have tons of fun with it. Enjoy the extra capacity and it is not too much wider feel wise than a single stack with regular grips. I like it so much that I am hoping to pick up a Wilson EDC X9 soon and would love one in 45acp eventually.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,465 Posts
I'll have to say after owning (and shooting several times) with my EDC X9 that the grip doesn't really feel any thicker and having 16 at the tip of you finger is pretty slick.

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
Owned a para p14 years ago. Kick myself once a day for selling it. That thing was reliable and enjoyable to shoot. I really didn't notice the extra weight.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Owned a para p14 years ago. Kick myself once a day for selling it. That thing was reliable and enjoyable to shoot. I really didn't notice the extra weight.
That was my first "1911." It was an old "original" P14-45. I still have it & have used it as a basis for practicing my pistolsmithing "skills" [laughter].

Wes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had a para p12-45 LDA was complete junk. Gun was garbage. Sold it.

Had a p13-45 tac-four was awesome but someone wanted it more than me so I sold/traded. That gun was awesome.

It’s hit or miss with the paras. Wouldn’t mine a double stack les Baer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
I had a para p12-45 LDA was complete junk. Gun was garbage. Sold it.

Had a p13-45 tac-four was awesome but someone wanted it more than me so I sold/traded. That gun was awesome.

It’s hit or miss with the paras. Wouldn’t mine a double stack les Baer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Justin....I sense a pattern, here?

Reactions: kellingtonw

·
Registered
850 Posts
Double stack=great game gun/ range toy. Too heavy to carry for my liking. Single stack=I personally like them for game guns but I shoot USPSA/IDPA with them. Weight is ok..a loaded Government is running around 45+ounces. I like the idea of higher capacity I'm just not sure it'd be my choice for a higher capacity carry gun. That ALL said...if it goes BANG. I'm going have to check the "like button":)

·
Christ is my front sight.
819 Posts
Single stack, 45 acp only! Forever and always! All others are blasphemy and should be burned in the unholy fires of Mt. Doom! :pirate:

Or you know.........whatever you like and stuff. It's ok I guess. :oops:

:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Double stack=great game gun/ range toy. Too heavy to carry for my liking. Single stack=I personally like them for game guns but I shoot USPSA/IDPA with them. Weight is ok..a loaded Government is running around 45+ounces. I like the idea of higher capacity I'm just not sure it'd be my choice for a higher capacity carry gun. That ALL said...if it goes BANG. I'm going have to check the "like button":)
Like Jakebrake, the extra weight never bothered me. I guess I'm weird that way, as I like mine HEAVY.

I also like sharp checkering. My EGW flat MSH Assembly, which I bought to replace the nylon junk factory MSH, came complete with 30 LPI checkering, which I love, as my hands are like leather.

At the time of the second rebuild, which turned my P14 into an incredibly-reliable shooter, I called up the company & ordered a dozen 14-round mags to add to the two original 14-rounders that I already had.

They had started using a newer magazine tube; & it is far superior to the original. With the EGW extended mag release also replacing the plastic junk thing mine came with, it now easily & quickly "ejects" empty spent mags with authority, making mag-changes a breeze!

For ignition parts, I went with Cylinder & Slide. All springs are Wolff. Most other parts, like MSH, barrel bushing, extended mag release, etc are EGW.

I installed a WC two-piece full-length guide rod & use an 18 1/2 lb Wolff recoil spring for my 230gr ÷P loads.

I replaced the UGLY Para grips with VZ Predator II's & their black hex-head grip screws for Paras.

The big black monster shoots like a dream; & it is so damned heavy that it would make a useful weapon even if empty.

I liked the original piece before I ever really understood the 1911 platform; but it would not remain reliable after 200 rounds of dirty handloads. Once I did start understanding, I removed & threw away the OEM Swartz safety parts & put a blank in their place before I even really got started.

As for now, I have a black skeletonized EGW medium-length trigger installed; & it runs like a sewing machine.

The third rebuild will involve a changed to Harrison ignition parts, among other things; & I want the entire thing blacked-out.

Wes

·
Supporting Addict
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an Armscor double stack in 9mm and have tons of fun with it. Enjoy the extra capacity and it is not too much wider feel wise than a single stack with regular grips. I like it so much that I am hoping to pick up a Wilson EDC X9 soon and would love one in 45acp eventually.
No issues w/ mags?

·
Supporting Addict
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Single stack, 45 acp only! Forever and always! All others are blasphemy and should be burned in the unholy fires of Mt. Doom! :pirate:

Or you know.........whatever you like and stuff. It's ok I guess. :oops:

:D
so a double stack in .40SW would be blasphemy squared? :madashell: :play:

·
Supporting Addict
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like Jakebrake, the extra weight never bothered me. I guess I'm weird that way, as I like mine HEAVY.

I also like sharp checkering. My EGW flat MSH Assembly, which I bought to replace the nylon junk factory MSH, came complete with 30 LPI checkering, which I love, as my hands are like leather.

At the time of the second rebuild, which turned my P14 into an incredibly-reliable shooter, I called up the company & ordered a dozen 14-round mags to add to the two original 14-rounders that I already had.

They had started using a newer magazine tube; & it is far superior to the original. With the EGW extended mag release also replacing the plastic junk thing mine came with, it now easily & quickly "ejects" empty spent mags with authority, making mag-changes a breeze!

For ignition parts, I went with Cylinder & Slide. All springs are Wolff. Most other parts, like MSH, barrel bushing, extended mag release, etc are EGW.

I installed a WC two-piece full-length guide rod & use an 18 1/2 lb Wolff recoil spring for my 230gr ÷P loads.

I replaced the UGLY Para grips with VZ Predator II's & their black hex-head grip screws for Paras.

The big black monster shoots like a dream; & it is so damned heavy that it would make a useful weapon even if empty.

I liked the original piece before I ever really understood the 1911 platform; but it would not remain reliable after 200 rounds of dirty handloads. Once I did start understanding, I removed & threw away the OEM Swartz safety parts & put a blank in their place before I even really got started.

As for now, I have a black skeletonized EGW medium-length trigger installed; & it runs like a sewing machine.

The third rebuild will involve a changed to Harrison ignition parts, among other things; & I want the entire thing blacked-out.

Wes

How many rebuilds when it's all said and done?!? :)

Any thoughts on how double stacks Paras are running these days(new ones)? Are used ones hit/miss?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I really like the double stack 1911s, and have had a few. I’m particularly fond of the Caspian frame for its slimness, and simplicity, versus the STI. Also, the Caspian frame guns fit the same holsters as traditional 1911s. Admittedly, I believe the STI makes for a better gaming platform.

The issue with Caspian is the lack of quality magazines. I think there is a missed opportunity here, for some quality high cap 1911 Carry pieces. I have a Craig F15 Fantom, that is a sweet carry gun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How many rebuilds when it's all said and done?!? :)

Any thoughts on how double stacks Paras are running these days(new ones)? Are used ones hit/miss?
Three should do it, as that is how many "builds" that I will have under my belt.

A gunsmithing correspondence course & having been a Glock Armorer is nowhere near enough!

This pistol cost every spare cent that I had back then; & I thought my then fairly-new wife would crucify me! We have been married for 23 years now; & the reason that it is my test-bed is because it is the CHEAPEST 1911 that I own. Times change.

I wouldn't learn pistolsmithing on one of my Colts, Springfields, etc; & I consider myself to be nowhere near competent enough to work on a third-party pistol. A guy's gotta learn somewhere; & I learn best by reading, listening, watching & then DOING!

As for reliability, I only know that at the time I bought mine, many moons ago, a lot of pistolsmiths were using it as a base-gun on which to build competition pistols. I heard a lot of good things about the old ones; & so I bought one.

My experience with MY plain-Jane P14-45 is that it was as reliable as Hell with "clean" ammunition. Dirty Winchester White Box 230gr ball & 230gr ball handloads with shotgun powder? Not so much!

I didn't know squat when I bought it, still have never fired another Para, had taken zero firearms courses back then, etc. So, I literally bought something & then started reading, taking classes, etc. I started out, as we say in Amateur Radio, as an "appliance operator."

I have heard some say that Para is out of business; but, quite frankly, I haven't even looked. I have no interest in buying another.

All of my other 1911's are singlestacks. I have two STI frames for future builds of that kind; & single-stacks are my current-interest.

I learn a good deal here from all of the people who know FAR more than I do. For instance, I am looking forward to seeing how Curly's build progresses.

Wes in VA

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
The Rock Island double stacks are the best bang for the buck. I have yet to see a bad review. Remington makes a double stack R1 now, but I wasn't impressed with them at all. Didn't get to shoot it, but the build quality was lacking.

If you want to go the true double stack route of a 2011, STI is now offering a $1,500 model in the Hawk.

I run a SPS Pantera in competition, it has a lot of MIM parts, but the barrel fit is solid and it shoots lights out.
Gun Trigger Metal Air gun Gun accessory

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,248 Posts
Years ago I carried a Para LDA 14-45 on the job for a while. It was a good gun but it weighed a ton, especially with a couple of spare mags, handcuffs, etc.. It was also very thick through the grip, I much prefer single stack 1911s.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts