Drifting Rear Sight

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by razorbacker, Apr 6, 2019.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I was shooting Shadow 2 off a rest at longer ranges out to 40 yards today. Nice groups but about 3" high and 3" left. Adjusting elevation was easy with the screw. Is there a method to drift the rear sight without a pusher? If I need a pusher give me a recommendation.

2. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    If a set screw is present, loosen it.
    Use a brass/aluminum or plastic rod and hammer.
    “Drift” sight to right appropriate amount.
    Loctite and tighten set screw.

3. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    I loosened the two set screws and tried a wood dowel and mallet, it did not budge any. I'll pick up a brass punch and give it a try. Thinking about going ahead and investing in a universal type sight pusher, could use it from time to time on other guns.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Steve Owens likes this.
  4. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    What Gaijin said but get a Derlin Rod and a small hammer and tap ever so lightly.The wooden Dowel is good ....Try a little heat from a torch as they might have used locite under the sight.

Karsten

5. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    IMHO..........If your going too adjust or replace sights on more than one gun, get a universal sight pusher. It will save you time & $$$ in the long run. Some sights are harder to move than others and you might have to have it done by the manufacture . But generally I do my own. A little learning curve. Get a good one. You get what you pay for on these. And most of all, GO SLOW! There's a lot of them on the net.

6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I bought a really cheap sight pusher about 2 years ago, and I have yet to find anything that it has failed me on yet. Amazon has em for right at $39 I believe it does take a little padding as the velcro protectors they give you with is sucks, but I always just use a good thick piece of cloth. You might call CZ and ask them if they loctite their sights, if that is the case as little heat would allow you to drift the sight without beating it up..

razorbacker likes this.
  7. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    Good info, thanks Steve. Think I'll pull the trigger on a $40 one. Can't go wrong on one at that price even if a little tweaking is required.

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I have just had extremely good luck with it and the parts can actually be replaced relatively easy..

This is the design of the one I got with the thumb screw instead of the wing nut. I have had to put a crescent wrench on that thumb screw a time or two to get really tight. I have put a fair amount of pressure on this with no issues. But, it does look like they got one for a little more that has some different blocks but same type of design.

https://www.amazon.com/D-D-Machine-...sight+pusher&qid=1554605795&s=gateway&sr=8-14

To be honest I might upgrade to the one with the various blocks if you want I can send you the one I have for free...I have more than gotten my monies worth out of it for sure.

9. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Or I can send you (or anyone else that may want it) the one I have, no charge. No offense Steve but juggling those blocks that hold the slide in there and trying to get them even before starting to push got to be a pain. And then while turning the adjustment bolt the locknut on mine kept coming loose. I sidelined it and bought a Wheeler Armorers Adjuster. 3 times as much, but works better for me.

gaijin and Steve Owens like this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No offense taken I’ve just gotten used to straightening the blocks and working around a few things what I like I’d there isn’t a slide I haven’t been able to do. From glocks, xds, 1911 etc. and it’s always broken em loose for me knock on wood. Lol I usually put a temp small block below to keep it from spinning until tight. It can be a juggling act some time. So is the wheeler pretty universal? The other thing is I like the aluminum soft enough not to damage the surface metal.

Don_P likes this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    @Don_P which Wheeler do you have?

12. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    PM to Steve. I understand there is some juggling on these lower end models but it not a high use item for me, maybe use it once or twice a year. I looked at sight pushers a couple years ago. If I remember correctly the ones I looked at were $200-400 which I could never justify for my use.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Steve Owens likes this.
  13. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Lol, that was me, a juggling act. The Wheeler is a really nice tool. I've adjusted a number of different manufacturers sights with it. 1911, Glock, Taurus and a couple of others. If you'd like to try it before you buy something else I'd be glad to send it to you to try out for a while. Send it back after you evaluate it and when you're done with it.

Whiten and Steve Owens like this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    That’s where I was when I initially purchased this one, but my how things have changed lol.

15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    That would be great I’d appreciate that I’ll send you a pm with my Address.

16. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    I picked up the Wheeler on sale from Brownells not long ago for $123.94 shipped. Just checked now and it's on sale again, $119.00 plus shipping.

17. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Okay, I'll get it out to you Monday.

18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    @Don_P Have you actually use this to completely remove sights or is it more for just adjusting sights for Windage? Because I ran into some pretty stubborn sights trying to get them off And it put quite a bit of pressure on this universal one without managing to break it LOL. Just curious because most the time I would be using it to completely remove sights and reinstall sites that would be possibly pretty tight and I’m noticing on some of the reviews on Brownell’s it says that it tells you not to use any device to tighten any of the holding screws or anything?

19. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    I have completely removed a couple of different guns sights that were so tight I thought I would break the tool or the sight. But it gets to that point and then it breaks loose and it pushes them out of the dovetail no problem. I read those reviews also. Yes, it is a little more time consuming to set up. But if you take your time and set it up correctly it works fine. You build guns, I can only assume you have patience and aptitude. You would have no problem using this tool at all. Some of those reviews I'd be willing to bet were from guys who have no idea what they are doing.
    It's up to you, I have no problem sending it to you and you keeping it for a while to try out. You be the judge. Won't cost you anything but return shipping to NY.

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted