Dropping slide ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by MFM22, Sep 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MFM22

MFM22 Member

Sep 15, 2020
    i was in shop today looking at a DW PMC. Owner came over when he saw I was going to drop slide ( on empty chamber of course) Asked for the gun , took magazine out and gently closed slide . Said " you can do that once it's your gun "
    I've seen articles & videos on both sides of this issue I wasn't really put off by his comment although he could have used it as a teaching moment , and explained the why.

Any thoughts about this are welcome . How much damage would this do to internals ?

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Supposedly doing it a lot will damage the quality of the trigger pull. I didn’t catch why... but that was the result.

So it matters less on a cheap 1911, and is a big deal on expensive ones.

3. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    1. Don't drop the slide on a gun that doesn't belong to you

2. Dropping the slide can belch up the hammer/sear interface

3. What did the videos/articles that you have previously seen/read say?

4. Did you learn anything from the videos/articles you saw/read?

4. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Yep, I would've asked you not to drop the slide too, had I owned or been selling the pistol.

Dub, ILED93, Badabing11 and 5 others like this.
  5. freeride1

freeride1 Active Member

Dec 16, 2013
    This, it’s etiquette. Just like not cowboying a revolver that isn’t yours.

Dub, ILED93, switchback and 4 others like this.
  6. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    If a salesman or such drops the slide on an empty 1911 chamber. He can keep it. Period.

7. MFM22

MFM22 Member

Sep 15, 2020
    One of the videos that bill Wilson has discussed this and they said the finer the gun the more it matters .
    I get it and no complaints about the warning . Wondering why other shops have not mentioned this
    I try to use all controls just to make sure of their feel . I'm actually glad he pointed this out

I know lots of shooters will drop slide on a reload but the chamfering if a round acts as a buffer
    So it's totally different to wear and tear

Badabing11, wrmiller and HooDoo Man like this.
  8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    The WCR posted this years ago on TOOS

The only time damage can occur to the hammer/sear engagement is if the hammer actually falls to half cock on the sear nose. Even then it would typically have to happen several times to cause a problem.

I do not condone dropping the slide on an empty chamber. Doing it repeatedly over and over will certainly put undue wear and stress on your slide/barrel fit...but an occasional slide drop won't hurt your gun.

If it hurts your gun who really knows, just don't do it on a gun you don't own, period.

340pd, UBOATDOC and gun_fan111 like this.
  9. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Interesting. I always drop the slide when chambering a round

Tallerico likes this.
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Not the same.

Badabing11, UBOATDOC and HooDoo Man like this.
  11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    You got it. The pistol is designed to strip and chamber a round when the slide is going forward. It isn't designed to have the barrel's lower lugs slam into the slide stop pin at full speed, i.e. on an empty chamber.

Dub, ILED93, 340pd and 2 others like this.
  12. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Duh

I was calling attention to this, which implies some shooters letting the slide down with ones hand when reloading

13. Songcatcher

Songcatcher Nose to the grindstone

Mar 15, 2018
    Like the man said...
    I've had a couple folks do that to my guns that weren't even 1911's and it still left a bad taste in my mouth towards that person, one who won't be laying hands on my weapons again anytime soon after he did it three times in a row to a brand new gun I hadn't even shot yet.

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    It's quite like slamming the door on a very nice car.

1911fanatic, Dub, limbkiller and 7 others like this.
  15. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    How do all of you guys test for hammer follow after cleaning your guns? I thought the best test is to release the slide on an empty chamber...

16. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I am guessing that the esteemed gunsmiths you find here amongst us do not routinely do this.....so if Joe Chambers, Bill Miller, Jason Burton, Karl Beining, Greg Derr and Bill Wilson, Steve Owens et al don't....I won't.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  17. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Unless I alter/change sear or hammer spring tensions, or mess with the sear and hammer geometry there is no need. Or at least I've never found a need.

Also, I'm pretty good at just testing the trigger by dry firing with a snap cap. I can usually tell if a trigger is on the 'ragged edge' of stability so to speak. I don't know how to explain it, but I can feel it.

1911fanatic, UBOATDOC and gun_fan111 like this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nope, unless you disconnect the ignition system by holding the trigger, it does bounce the hammer on the sear. Not advisable with any 1911

Dub likes this.
  19. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Like a guitarist.....the "tone is in the fingers".

Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    It's the way I check trigger jobs. I can fairly accurately call them. The term is tactile feel.

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted