Dry Fire...Is there a correct way?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by walleyemonster, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    This has bothered me for a while. Living in a Northern state, shooting is a near impossibility in the winter months. Dry fire is the go to operation during this time.
    When I see instructional videos of some of the popular instructors/shooters, I pretty much see them all rack the slide to cock the hammer when making a point on shooting, grip, etc.
    Is simply cocking the hammer when dry firing wrong? That is the way I dry fire, and have not noticed any damage or degradation of parts that I can see. Would like to see what you all have to say on the subject.

john_anch_ak likes this.
  2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I personally don't think it's wrong, but that's just me. I also use a mag or two with some snap caps to practice mag changes as I don't like to cycle the pistol on a empty chamber/mag. But again that's just me and I do what I want. ;)

azpoolguy, UBOATDOC and TheCollector like this.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    If you do it more methodically, racking the slide, can also be another step in dry-fire practice.

Hacker, 41 Charlie, azpoolguy and 2 others like this.
  4. Chiseledface

Chiseledface Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Nothing wrong with just cocking the trigger. I like to have a laser cartridge installed though so I know what I would have hit when I pulled the trigger had there been a round in there. Adds another layer to dry fire practice, and it's dirt cheap.

5. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    For a 1911 I just cock the hammer unless I’m doing reload drills...I use snaps for that

Biggest part of dry fire is keeping up the same intensity you use at the range. Don’t get lazy. Get on that front sight/dot and drive the pistol with purpose.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Biggest thing is to not " drop" the slide on an empty chamber.

Other than that...I see no issue on cocking just using the hammer.

JohnK, wrmiller and UBOATDOC like this.
  7. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with simply cocking the hammer. I do all of the above mentioned drills in dry fire, and use dummy rounds for mag swaps.
    Seeing the experts always rack the slide made me question whether I was doing it correctly.
    Asking dumb questions clears things up sometimes!

8. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    The key question here is to ask:

Are the people you're watching have a M/GM title in any of the shooting sports? If so, those guys don't do anything outside of being proficient in their training.

9. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Would you elaborate on that please?

10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I run the slide just to get more weapon manipulations.

Here is some good information also.

11. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I think the guys on TV are re enforcing muscle memory , and when getting ready to shoot don't have a round in the chamber .

12. Ned Christiansen

Ned Christiansen Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    azpoolguy likes this.
  13. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    I thought that brand sounded familiar so I checked some old emails. Back in Sept 2017 they emailed and offered a demo unit for free. I still check the mailbox everyday, nothing yet.

ZoidMeister and joerockhead like this.
  14. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    You should not release the slide from its locked back position (ie; pull back and let go or release it with the slide stop) without a round in the magazine (or at least a dummy round) because it causes unnecessary stress on the slide and frame. The problem is that without a round in the mag, the recoil spring has nothing to work against except the mass of the slide. Normally, it would use part of its strength to strip a round from the mag and the slide forward travel speed would be significantly reduced.

k38, walleyemonster and BigJimP like this.
  15. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    To my understanding doing so without a dummy round also makes the hammer and sear hit/slightly chatter (if that is the right word) together in a way that eventually could make your trigger job less crisp, due to the uninhibited slide and frame mass and vibration you are referencing.

That being said we have to remember these guns are tools and that as long as we take care of them the average owner will never dry fire or live fire their gun enough to wear the gun out anyway. As long as you don't care that you are inducing wear on your gun in the same way you don't about about educing stress on your gun when you are live firing it, then I would say you should dry fire it to your hearts content. Especially if you can't actually shoot due to weather or any other reason, and want to stay as fresh as possible without live fire practice.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    BigJimP and Chiseledface like this.
  16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Ah guys, the only thing stopping the slide and barrel assy from flying off the front of the frame when being forced forward by the recoil spring is the barrel hooks hitting the slide stop. Releasing the slide stop on a empty mag/chamber has the lower hooks slam full speed into the slide stop pin. IMO not good. YMMV.

k38 and BigJimP like this.
  17. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Just about every manufacturer warns against doing it.

18. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I tend to rack the slide back by hand with my trigger depressed and then guide it forward manually as well. This technique helps me judge the "reset" distance on my triggers. That cannot be analyzed by thumbing the trigger into the full-cocked position.

Just my process.

Hacker likes this.
  19. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    So, when the hammer is cocked, by the slide (in live) or hand (dry-fire), and falls on the sear, doesn't induce any force?

20. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    why is it bad for the barrel feet to forcefully contact the slide stop pin?

ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted